2011 Sockeye Run Port Alberni

Fish-Hunter

Sockeye forecast means big run for B.C.

BY KERI SCULLAND, ALBERNI VALLEY TIMES MAY 5, 2011 9:02 AM

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/Sockeye+forecast+means/4732991/story.html#ixzz1LUs5qm4z

PORT ALBERNI - For the second year in a row, fishermen are expecting a large sockeye run of 600,000.

This number could increase as it did last year, explained fisherman Bob Cole. He took part in the West Coast Harvest area 23 meeting on Tuesday, which provided the forecast for the season.

"On a big run, they come early," Cole said. "We're estimating a reasonable chinook season and a reasonable season all around"

Fisheries and Oceans Canada hasn't sent out a release yet to officially open the season, but Cole expects it will open at the end of next week, which is average.

"One of the models goes as much as 2.2 million, which is an absolute ridiculous number," Cole said. "I expect the rest to go over a million fish this year as the season assessment goes on."

It usually takes until the first week of July for experts to tell exactly how many fish will be in the run this year.

Years ago, the number of sockeye a person could catch was unlimited until DFO restricted it, but now, each person will most likely have a catch limit of two fish to begin with. That will probably increase to four per person by June, Cole explained.

"[Tuesday] we were told they're going to announce the sockeye retention as of next week," he added, saying that it would most likely be around Friday.

Cole said the sockeye season usually also means tourist season, because many people visit the Valley to fish and take charters.

"It's just good for everybody," he said. "It's great for tourists to come and it's great for the charter guys to bring their people out."

At Gone Fishin', manager Ryan Henri said putting a date to the beginning of the season typically gets people excited and purchasing fishing gear.

"It usually increases business big time," Henri said. "May 15 is a little early for guys to be out there, but it does get people excited and buying gear. A date gives people that excitement."

The beginning of sockeye season is the store's busiest time of the year. Henri said this time of year is typical for sockeye season to begin.

KSculland@avtimes.net

© Alberni Valley Times 2011

© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/Sockeye+forecast+means/4732991/story.html#ixzz1LUrzvlRu

They are in the river too. Saw some across the way from Coleman running back from la cabana. Should be a decent run. Let's just hope the river stays low..otherwise they will run straight into it. Not good.

Yup, I hear that. I am fearful that with the high snow pack that we currently have and that the cool spring that we have been experiencing hasn't been melting the snow very quickly, if it warms up fast and then we get some rain on top of that,,,, well the rivers would be swollen enough to draw the fish straight up into the rivers. This would be good for the fish, not so good for fishing. We'll see soon enough, would be nice to get a good year of fishing again.

Area 23 Sockeye is open.

This issued today:

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/x..._notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=132637&ID=recreational

Fishery Notice

Category(s): RECREATIONAL - Salmon
Subject: FN0390-RECREATIONAL - Salmon - Sockeye Fishery - Area 23 - Barkley Sound and Alberni Inlet

The pre-season forecast for Somass Sockeye is 600,000. The escapement requirement at this runsize is
371,000. At this run-size First Nations, recreational and commercial fisheries are planned. In consultation
with the Area 23 Salmon Harvest Committee and the Port Alberni Sport Fishing Advisory Committee it was agreed
that a recreational fishery for sockeye in Area 23 would occur as described below.

Effective immediately until further notice the daily quota for sockeye salmon in Area 23, Barkley Sound and
Alberni Inlet, will be two (2).

The Somass Sockeye in-season stock assessment program will operate as in previous years. This program
collects escapement, test-fishing, catch and environmental information on a weekly basis. This information
is used to prepare weekly in-season run-size reforecasts.

Fishers should be aware that the first in-season run-size re-forecast will occur on Thursday, June 30. The
recreational sockeye catch to that date will be reviewed in conjunction with the run-size reforecast estimate
to determine what management actions may be required.

Variation Order Numbers 2011-252 and 2011-253.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Contact the nearest Fisheries and Oceans Canada office or visit our website at http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca.

Fisheries & Oceans Operations Center - FN0390
Sent May 11, 2011 at 0946

After reading this notice;

Note: The Daily Limit is listed at (2), however they have not indicated as of yet what the possession limit is, so assume only (2)?? until otherwise stated.

I thought possession on salmon has always been twice daily?? I have never fished for the Sox over there so I can not say with certainty that the same applies for this fishery?

I thought possession on salmon has always been twice daily?? I have never fished for the Sox over there so I can not say with certainty that the same applies for this fishery?
Yep, that's what I thought also. Not sure if they just missed it in the notice or if they meant to leave it out of the notice. So what do you do? Assume that it is possession of (4) (twice the daily) and risk the scrutiny of the officials? Or, just catch your two for the day. I will call the DFO office tomorrow and see what they say.

Ray, did you get a boat yet? You have to head over there to give them a go this year, when they are in, it is a blast, and they taste yummy.

Just got off the phone with offices in Nanaimo and they did in fact confirm that the two day possession limit is (4) Sockeye. They will pass on the request to update the FN0390 to reflect this.

Cheers, Tips Up and Tight Lines.

Couple reports from a few of the Local Ladz, the fish are already hitting the river. Quick limits the past 2 days apparently. They're HERE!! ;)

Wow, thats amazing to see! Hope the Robertson Creek run is big too as we usually get them first week in july to end of july pretty heavy! One year 6/8 hatchery heads we sent in were from robertson

Hey nog are they fishing both sides of the dam this year. I noticed the parking changes on the reserve side. Wasn't sure if we were welcome there anymore.
Thanks

Hey nog are they fishing both sides of the dam this year. I noticed the parking changes on the reserve side. Wasn't sure if we were welcome there anymore.

Ladz I heard from were on the Ukee side. They didn't mention any problems. Kinda wonder about what's up with the obvious removal of any parking over there? Don't have enough time nor energy to wander down for a boo. Just back from 10 straight on The Pond, and right back to it on the weekend...

Good Luck if you go...

Cheers,
Nog

Thanks for the update tubby.
Tying leaders this weekend while camping, gotta get ready!
Smiley.

noww peeps are parking right on rd side gonna cause more controversy if ya ask me like wowwww is all i can say seee peeps are fishing bgut is there any being caufght is the questions kinda goes like lil ansewears means lots of fish an well lots of answears means no fish well i tell ya all this evenin if its worth the drive yet

Back