2010 Halibut Catch Recommendations

Cuba Libre

Pull up the propose 2010 fishery details here:
http://www.iphc.washington.edu/halcom/meetings/im2009/im2009.htm

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Which I read as IPHC Canada sport recommendation as 790,000 lbs for 2010.

This is down considerably from 918,000 in 2009. Plus remember there is no funding available for leasing additional quota next year. Based on this, which I know is not finalized yet, the 1,150,000 lbs caught in 2009 will leave us looking at a train wreck for a season next year! When will we open? When will we close? Not even at one per day and two possession will the season run for the traditional length. Who gets trashed? Those who's halibut fishery is early and late season or those who whack'em in the summer only? Big dilemma ahead folks!

DFO bureaucrats are now going to have to face up to the fact that Monsieur Thibault's wonderful edict is a TOTAL BUST! Will they fix the problem?

LC, if there's any left, pass the bottle over here next!

Gov

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling - Izaak Walton

posting error

LC

From distant memory of DFOs figures cited, we were at approx 900,000 lbs when they opened to 2 per day. But the bulk of the big northern lodges were as good as finished for their seasons by that time.

As for what we will need for 1 per day March 1 to October 31, it is only a guesstimate but I would offer around what we will catch this year in total (1,150,000 lbs). My rationale includes some increase in tourism due to the global economic stablization. The lodge and guide business stated in a survey they were down across the board by average 25% (some were way worse than that). Plus there are more right sized halibut showing up and more people fishing halibut as chinook numbers maybe leaner in 2010.

Gov

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling - Izaak Walton

And there in lies the rub. The inside waters catch of halibut in February, March, April and October, November and December is way smaller compared by poundage caught to the three months when the bank fishing starts in June. So why even contemplate shortening the season, it selectively stops our hali fishery off Sooke, Victoria and Oak Bay?

Inside waters hali anglers need to stand up for their fishery and make sure they don't get screwed next year out of fishing opportunity.

Gov

quote:Originally posted by Governor

LC

From distant memory of DFOs figures cited, we were at approx 900,000 lbs when they opened to 2 per day. But the bulk of the big northern lodges were as good as finished for their seasons by that time.

As for what we will need for 1 per day March 1 to October 31, it is only a guesstimate but I would offer around what we will catch this year in total (1,150,000 lbs). My rationale includes some increase in tourism due to the global economic stablization. The lodge and guide business stated in a survey they were down across the board by average 25% (some were way worse than that). Plus there are more right sized halibut showing up and more people fishing halibut as chinook numbers maybe leaner in 2010.

Gov

From what I was reading numbers are supposed to be just as good if not better.

www.serengetifishingcharters.com

*NEW VIDEO*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlEzuNC59ck

quote:Originally posted by SerengetiGuide

LC

Gov

From what I was reading numbers are supposed to be just as good if not better.

www.serengetifishingcharters.com

*NEW VIDEO*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlEzuNC59ck

However, we may get dinged on the inside for Fraser chinook stocks of concern. Area 19 has already got restiction in place till mid May for ET Fraser chinook.

That extra 8% (12 > 20) of the TAC would sure come in handy [B)]

this is going to be painful. our '09 season was shorter than the '08 season so i can just imagine the inside fishery is going to be even less time than last season, grim.

What it will mean to guys like my partner and myself, is early trips before we get shut down... Aint gonna be any little guys coming on board either.

Why? Because while I love the challenge, each trip to Hardy for three nights costs me at least $700.(camping) Economically it does not make sense to keep a ping-pong paddle...

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

This is down considerably from 918,000 in 2009. Plus remember there is no funding available for leasing additional quota next year.

Gov;

Are you sure about this? From what I understood we had $1.2mill in the bank. We needed to lease 120k so where did the rest of the money go?? My math is 120k*3.50 = $420,000 We should still have $780,000 in the bank. thats enough to lease 220,000lbs next year. Enough to scrape by and hope the numbers go up.

Ping pong paddle problem nails it...that's why the 1 fish limit doesn't work and is in fact counter productive to what the regulation is attempting to achieve. Exactly what is wrong with the current management protocols.

As we have debated on this forum endlessly - there ain't much hope of getting a larger share of the TAC...so we need to spend some effort exploring better ways to spread the available TAC out over a period of the season that benefits the majority of anglers...and that would appear to be June to August.

I'm on record preferring a 2 fish per day possession/catch limit with a maximum number per angler each year. If that is less than 10 so beit, but the one fish per day approach is encouraging the wrong outcome - that is, targeting the larger fish by anchoring up on the pinnacles and honey holes.

If that's not workable, then I hope someone out there has some better ideas...but I do know the status quo isn't good for either the fish or the fishers. One per day has got to go.

Searun

quote:Originally posted by fisher69

This is down considerably from 918,000 in 2009. Plus remember there is no funding available for leasing additional quota next year.
Gov;
Are you sure about this? From what I understood we had $1.2mill in the bank. We needed to lease 120k so where did the rest of the money go?? My math is 120k*3.50 = $420,000 We should still have $780,000 in the bank. thats enough to lease 220,000lbs next year. Enough to scrape by and hope the numbers go up.

I am not making this stuff up you know. The chairman of the Main Board SFAB reported to the Victoria SFAB local committee (4th Nov) and the South Coast SFAB mtg (29th Nov) that there is virtually no money remaining for leasing commercial quota in 2010. I have no reason to disbelieve the reports either.

Gov

quote:Originally posted by fisher69

Gov;

I am not making this stuff up you know. The chairman of the Main Board SFAB reported to the Victoria SFAB local committee (4th Nov) and the South Coast SFAB mtg (29th Nov) that there is virtually no money remaining for leasing commercial quota in 2010. I have no reason to disbelieve the reports either.

Gov

I wouldn't suggest you made it up. I was just doing some scrap paper math and it wasn't adding up. Just thought you might know. Thanks

Back