2009 - 2010 Halibut Debate + Poll

the fog ducker

Do I dare..[:eek:)]

Well might as well get on with it ,it's that time of year, I seen that this was being discussed on Kisiana's Thread ," Halibut caught in Georgia Strait " don't want to jack it , so here we are.

Searun ,
What area do you fish typically ,for Hali .
After monitoring this topic the past couple seasons , I know what most of the regular members takes are on this S_ _t Kicked topic are, alway's seems to come up in the down time , Ive also seen where most of the fish are coming from , also noticed that different areas have dramatically different sizes of fish, on average than others , You guy's know that I fish the Barkley area mostly , have fished there for 30 years on and off ,back to when I was a knee high, alot the past 10 years . I , WE , have noticed a trend of Hali slowly depleting in numbers and size ,especially on the closer banks , not saying it's terribly different , but , the cleaning tables don't lie ,I don't quite understand where they have went , there were definately less sport boats in my holes , Liners hittin it hard perhaps ,the one per day also reduced the fish being targeted in our area,especially when we had such a good salmon fishery on the inside ! seems like we have to go further out to get our 10 -20lbers , on average ,this is where I have a problem with all of us being restricted to 10 fish , a 15 pound vs a 50 lb fish , is huge difference in take home white , Again , I don't believe this is a conservation issue here ,YET, this is a BS TAC, that us sporty's were given , I don't see the Commercial boy's helping us out , why should we give them anything back , I know this sucks , but , DFO needs to get there heads outta there arses , figure out where the best bang for the buck comes from , Sporties , or Commercial ( Halibut ) my take may have been a little different last season , on this , but , this is where i truly am today. FIX THE TAC RATIO !!! Cheers,,,FD... :D

kosi99@hotmail.com

IMG_3509.jpg

Okay
I started the other thread to find out how the inside fishery was doing. That being said I still fish within the lingcod and salmon limits we have on the inside waters.
I normally do not limit out my license however in the past 3 years I have come close.
Question comes down to exactly how much fish you can eat, I have company over and BBQ's and such and I still do not feel my limits need an increase.
I understand where the charter guys are coming from when they say the guests take a large hali and would not want to release it, but for sporties I think a yearly annual limit is not hard to have.
Remove it from being a percentage of the annual catch by making an estimation of what sporties may take and drop the commercial limit so as it does not become an issue if sporties or the commercial guys have a reached the limit.
Majority of my fishing is on the inside and I do not see the commercial fishing becoming the issue in here.

I would think 10 per year limit and 2 a day would be ideal. Keeps guides happy as clients can get their 2 daily fish and 10 fish a year is plenty.

That said i dont get a chance to fish hali much since im mostly on the inside.Took 2 this year and 1 the year before all chickens in bamfield/telegraph. Good to see that fisherman are really caring about conservation

10/year is more then enough, I can't really see an argument to the contrary?

To squash a lot of the BS about releasing big halibut that I see coming, I'll offer a $50 donation to the persons charity of choice if they can show me a picture of them cutting the line on a 100lb+ halibut - so lets see em.....?

http://www.fishingvancouverisland.org - Win an 8-Hour WCVI Charter!

quote:Originally posted by The Fog Ducker

does the TAC change from year to year , and again , is it in weight , how is the Combined TAC determined .

fd

IPHC does research during the summer. They use the cpu(catch per unit) to plug into the model(3yr average). From that they come up with a combined TAC for the two counties.
At present there is still the on going apportionment debate on how the fish is split between the two counties.
Once the fish has been split between the two counties then they take the canadian portiion deduct approx. 350,000lbs of fn fish then they split the remaining 88/12. this is rough but gives a general answer to your question.

As for me I live on VCI get to the west side a few times a year and would be fine with a 10fish or 100lb limit. My family are "fish eaters" but I still think limits are needed. I am not in the practice of catching fish every week for my friends and family as this is the job of the commercial guys.

I figure a tag system like hunting should be in place using either average weights or pieces. Very good point above about different weights in different areas. Also I would like to see the "letter" removed from existance also the ability to ship fish home from the places that process. I would also like to see different amount of tags issued depending on where you are from. That is if you are from ouside canada you get 2, bc resident 10 outside bc but still canadian 4/5(until alberta starts to send us royalty checks for the canadian oil that they manage so well)

Not sure if i need to weigh in here as I'm the one advocating the 10 per season, so you know where I stand. Don't forget almost everyone has a fishing partner, whether buddy, wife, kids..what ever.....so that can easily be legally doubled. I really don't see a valid argument for anyone needing more than 10 per season.

quote:Originally posted by Poppa Swiss

10/year is more then enough, I can't really see an argument to the contrary?

To squash a lot of the BS about releasing big halibut that I see coming, I'll offer a $50 donation to the persons charity of choice if they can show me a picture of them cutting the line on a 100lb+ halibut - so lets see em.....?

http://www.fishingvancouverisland.org - Win an 8-Hour WCVI Charter!
I take my hat off for this..pretty brave at the end of the season. Is this offer going to stand for 2010.:D:D

So far sounds like everyone is for the 10 a season , just want to clarify where I'm coming from here , Most of us don't keep 10 a year , so how is this helping the situation , WHY should sporties have to do this , once we put a number on a seasonal limit , they now have us by the balls , and now start reducing this in the seasons to come , hope your getting my point .

FD...:)

kosi99@hotmail.com

IMG_3509.jpg

Thanks Fish4all ,
It's nice to see someone talking about Annual Weight Limits , isn't this ultimately what this is about , TAC in Tonnage , by both Commercial and Sporties , Our 12 % needs to be split up farely , through out our whole Coastline !

!!
quote:Originally posted by fish4all

quote:Originally posted by The Fog Ducker

does the TAC change from year to year , and again , is it in weight , how is the Combined TAC determined .

fd

IPHC does research during the summer. They use the cpu(catch per unit) to plug into the model(3yr average). From that they come up with a combined TAC for the two counties.
At present there is still the on going apportionment debate on how the fish is split between the two counties.
Once the fish has been split between the two counties then they take the canadian portiion deduct approx. 350,000lbs of fn fish then they split the remaining 88/12. this is rough but gives a general answer to your question.

As for me I live on VCI get to the west side a few times a year and would be fine with a 10fish or 100lb limit. My family are "fish eaters" but I still think limits are needed. I am not in the practice of catching fish every week for my friends and family as this is the job of the commercial guys.

I figure a tag system like hunting should be in place using either average weights or pieces. Very good point above about different weights in different areas. Also I would like to see the "letter" removed from existance also the ability to ship fish home from the places that process. I would also like to see different amount of tags issued depending on where you are from. That is if you are from ouside canada you get 2, bc resident 10 outside bc but still canadian 4/5(until alberta starts to send us royalty checks for the canadian oil that they manage so well)

kosi99@hotmail.com

IMG_3509.jpg

If you want some numbers to look at.

I fished a total of 20 days for halibut this year in area 19/20 sooke/victoria.

I took home 2 halibut all year one was 18 and the other 29 pounds.

I am deffinitly for the 10 / year. Might leave a few more behind and make it a little easier for others to get there 10.

I heard a stat once from a fellow saying one boat in sooke recorded catching 89 halibut in one season. That in my opinon is ridiculos. Where in the hell does that much fish go?

-STeve

Be careful what you wish for....
Once a regulation is in place it won't change easily.
I say fish when you want to, take enough to feed the family
and don't abuse the resource BUT !!!
We have enough rules and regulations already, lets not bring
on more [xx(]

quote:Originally posted by r.s craven

Be careful what you wish for....
Once a regulation is in place it won't change easily.
I say fish when you want to, take enough to feed the family
and don't abuse the resource BUT !!!
We have enough rules and regulations already, lets not bring
on more [xx(]

disagree with you here. with the icrease in effort on this coast we need regs to make it work. pretty obvious that if the allocation was changed the first cry would be increased catch limits and then we are right back here again. the average angler is not the problem here and better regs would not impact them. It is those that cheat, steal or sell there catch that need to be curtailed. And I'm afraid "please don't abuse the resource" is not enough.

It is those that cheat, steal or sell there catch that need to be curtailed. And I'm afraid "please don't abuse the resource" is not enough.

Don't you think those that are going to abuse it will do so anyway ??
Rules & Regs should be a guideline for honest people.
You can't make dishonest people follow them.

A recorded on license 10 per year does help as an enforcement tool...little easier to catch the abusers if fish aren't recorded and they have observed fish taken. This ia all about curtailing abuse and make no mistake...its happening. Every poached fish (illegally sold or bartered) is one less for everyone else. When you only get 12% of the TAC to start with there is a real danger of early closures or reduced limits every year. We don't need fish hogs adding to the likely hood of that happening and the rest of us suffering for it.

An annual limit is inevitable any way, only a matter of time. Better we push for it and take credit for the good optics it brings us as a group.

Back