2005 90 HP Merc 4 stroke How many hours?

M

Mudslide

I have a chance to buy a 2005 90 HP Mercury four stroke (no salt use) for around four grand. I currently am running a 91 Merc 90 HP 2 stroke so it's a nice upgrade for me. I'm wondering what a reasonable amount of hours would be on a motor like this and if anyone has any experience with this motor? I'm pretty sure I can get a computer printout including hours of use on the motor. I'm in Alberta but will be towing the boat out to fish the coast yearly. Informed opinions appreciated.
Thanks; Greg

I have the exact same motor.I scoffed at the idea of a mercury but its been bullet proof so far!I bet we have 600+ hours without an issue. I have heard quiter 4 strokes but it will sound nice compared to the 2 strk. What are you putting it on? we have a 17.5ft Tyee and its a good amount of power but any bigger/heavier of a boat i think would be under powered.

Thanks Kelly, I'm putting it on a 17.5 Crestliner Phantom. Are you running in the salt?

Yup in the chuck. My 17.5 is heavy fiberglass and deep V so it will run a bit slower than yours. I move about 22 knots cruise at 4200 rpm if memory serves me right and max at 30 5500-5600 rpm.

mercury! Tohatsu/nissan were only responsible for under 50hp motors. Yamaha was responsible for most of the Mercury Mariner series.

Great engine mudslide , a little thirsty, but solid. Most outboards in the chuck start to need more attention and repairs after 1000. hours.

how many hours are on it? waterski hours?

Back