2003 Honda 50 4-stroke

Captain Dudds

Am considering buying this motor used. Does anybody have good or bad experiences with them? Good year?

It comes with cables and power trim and all that, and is going for 3000 - does that sound reasonable? Here is the link:

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/8509718

Is there anything specific I should be looking for if I go check it out?

I appreciate any tips - I haven't done much motor shopping before.

Thanks Dudds

Great deal, i would get a compression check,
other that that they are bullet proof.
Change the oil, gear lube and you're good to go.

They are cheap on gas, and you can troll all day on it.

I've had mine for 4 season's now and love it !

I have had both a 130 hp and a 8 hp Honda, both worked great. Like he says check the compression. Good engines.

Long live wild salmon!!!

Thats what I wanted to here! I meant to ask about trolling on them and if it fouls the plugs but it sounds like its not a problem.

Thanks guys

I own the same motor. As noted, bullet proof! No problems with LOTS of trolling. Frankly, the guy is giving it away at that price! It's worth more like $3500, especially since you get a spare prop as well, and all guages! Doubt very much that it would have lost compression. I work mine pretty hard as it's underpowered for the boat its on and I would immediatly realize any decrease in power.

I have an 8 h.p. 4 stroke and it starts up first pull even after a winter of not starting. I love the motor but fear its servicing requirements. Honda has a great reputation for their motors, but a poor reputation for parts and service. Parts are sometimes a little difficult to aquire as most places that are honda certified are bike and car oriented first and outboard motor second.

That certainly used to be the case but now they have a large new service Honda shop located centrally in Nanaimo.

Back