20' vs 23' Hourston - PLEASE HELP

EZZ70

Hey peps, looking for a bit of advise here.

First of all love the classic lines of the Hourston Sedan's. I have a line on a 20 and 23 foot sedan that both require full gut outs, no worries i'm more than capable! Not sure which to choose, the boat will only probably be used 3 weeks per year due to work commitments and local but in those 3 weeks I would like to do overnights or weekend trips comfortably (son and I), also when I do have time to go fishing/cruising I don't want a bit of nasty weather (nothing life treating) to dampen my plans. It will spend most of its life on a trailer "trailer princess", so my question is...

1. Differences between these two models?

Cuddy head room?
Cockpit/pilot house head room?
Over-all versatility?
Sea-Worthiness?
Resale?

2. I am towing with a 1/2 tonne Ram 1500 eco-diesel so need to know what to expect for finished weights?

3. I also have secured a 2000 200 OX66 200HP Yamaha, think this would be adequate for either boat?

4. I was planning on notching the transom, rather than podding it as to save a few bucks, thoughts?

5. This will be a family boat with max 4 ppl at any one time, most likely only two ppl. Which boat is better?

Last edited:
I have a 23ft. I believe the cuddy is larger in the 23ft, I'm 6'2" and have no problem sleeping in it. There is no problem for headroom in the cabin but caution should be used going in and out of the cabin door. All the 2o' that I have seen will have no cabin door just fully open. Over all versatility and sea-worthiness don't think you can find a better boat. Hourston's are easy to sell so no problem on the resale end. As far as your truck pulling a 23ft they weigh in at about 3400Kg on the trailer at the government roadside scales. A 200hp may be a little on the small side for a 23ft although my pod guy said a 200hp would be fine. I personally have never seen a podded 23 with anything smaller then a 250Hp a 20ft it would be fine. Never seen a notched Hourston in that size boat but I guess it could be done. The pod route will give you a ton more room though. If the family and overnighting the 23ft I would say is the better boat. hope that helps a bit and good luck with your project, you can't go wrong with a Hourston.

23, pod, trade a friend a bigger truck for the towing times.

Thank you so much guys for all your help and advise, appreciate it! Borrowing the truck idea many not work as it will be either in Vernon or Alberta, a long road trip either way before the vacation begins :( If someone who has experience with both size vessels would comment, I would be thankful...

In addition I am 5'8" and my son is 6'2", also I will be adding an Alaskan bulkhead and door to close the cabin in like most 23 footer's... :)

Last edited:
It may be challenging towing a 23' boat with a full load in a 1/2 ton pickup.
your tow vehicle might need upgrading ?

As a boat for a family to vacation on the 23’ is the way to go but as Scott mentioned a 1500 would be a challenge to tow especially the distance you have mentioned.
As far as notching the transom for the outboard... I think to do it well and have it look good your dollars would likely be best spent putting a pod on it. These boats with a pod are easy to sell down the road

Thank you again guys, please keep the comments coming.

I am not a hard core fisherman, nor do I intend to be, but I do enjoy trolling and just enjoying being on the sea :) (my happy place). I do not foresee the whole family, all four of us, ever doing an overnight, only 2 of us spending overnights at any one time...

Has anyone ever seen a build/spec sheet on boat from factory?

20'
beam?
draft?
LOA?
Cabin headroom?
Weight?

23'
Beam?
Draft?
LOA?
Cabin headroom?
Weight?

Personally i wouldn’t notch the stern. i know the pod route isnt cheap but this is a classic boat you could potentially have for the rest of your life.

I agree RiverBoy, approximately how much to pod, and who around is good? I hear some guys in Sooke are pretty good...

Last edited:
I agree RiverBoy, approximately how much to pad, and who around is good? I hear some guys in Sooke are pretty good...

There’s guys in this forum who have your answers. in the boats trailers rigs forum i would start a new thread requesting that info. there are also some members who are fabricators but you are for sure looking at a 2-3 k range

also the search function is real good

Thank you people for the input and opinions, I guess I have to be realistic with needs rather than wants, financially it makes more sense to get the 20 footer, i can power with the 200 ox 66 with only 400 hours to cut bigger engine expenses as well as no new truck needed as the 20' is 1/2 tonne manageable... either way it gets me on the water, meeting great people like yourself and having fun!

Im still considering the transom cutout rather than pod to save money but will see when he time comes...???

I agree the 20' footer is only a day boat but can fit it to do the odd overnighter, might have to hotel it :)

Sorry guys that i have 2 posts, not sure if PM can combine them, the other post is under Boats etc...

Resale on the 23ft is going to be way better then the 20Ft. I personally think the 23ft Hourston is one of the best boats out there. Great for the family and overnighting with the enclosed cabin and you won't find a better riding boat in the ****** weather then a Hourston.

I believe you casper 5280, after all my research my top pick was the Hourston! I know I will have a great boat once restro is complete.

My dilemma is finances that are wife approved...
1. i have a 24x24 garage with a 8' OH door that i have to try an squeeze this boat in for winter construction, storage fees not an option
2. absolutely needs to be 1/2 tonne towable - can't afford to get a new vehicle
3. re-power - can't afford a 300hp so I am engaging a 2000 200hp OX66 400hrs

Also, i talked to Hurston today and asked the size of trailer required for the 20', he suggested a 3500# would suffice, so im going to try and get a used galvanized 4000#

3.0L V6 ECODIESEL 4x4 Crew Cab 6.4' Box
Payload 1260 lbs
Towing Capacity 7540 lbs

Last edited:
hey mr. casper5280, ya got anything for dry weight on the 23'...?

I had a 26’ hourston and it weighed around 8000lbs including the trailer. They are decent boats once rebuilt but they have some downsides that you should change during your restoration. The two things I didn’t like were the fuel tank was on the small side and some of the hourstons aren’t self bailing. I’m 5’11” and didn’t hit my head in the cabin. The beam on the 23 and 26 I think are 8’9”. Sometimes rebuilding a boat may seem like a cheaper way to go but I don’t think in the end it is. With the way things are going in the fishing industry you would probably be better off and spend less money finding a boat ready to go. The guy I got my Hourston from lost a decent amount of money rebuilding it and selling it a year or so later. I used it for a couple years and sold it for roughly what I paid.

I had a 26’ hourston and it weighed around 8000lbs including the trailer. They are decent boats once rebuilt but they have some downsides that you should change during your restoration. The two things I didn’t like were the fuel tank was on the small side and some of the hourstons aren’t self bailing. I’m 5’11” and didn’t hit my head in the cabin. The beam on the 23 and 26 I think are 8’9”. Sometimes rebuilding a boat may seem like a cheaper way to go but I don’t think in the end it is. With the way things are going in the fishing industry you would probably be better off and spend less money finding a boat ready to go. The guy I got my Hourston from lost a decent amount of money rebuilding it and selling it a year or so later. I used it for a couple years and sold it for roughly what I paid.

I agree, Thunder21 and thank you for the info. A complete restoration can be costly and time consuming but spending this time with my son and working together is priceless, besides I enjoy building almost as much as being on the water! I have plans to address both items as you mentioned, do you have any info on a 20 footer?

Back