20 Unhealthiest Proteins

rockdog

An article that lists the 20 Unhealthiest proteins to eat, lists Farmed Salmon as #6. This came up on MSN News.

Here is the link :
http://www.msn.com/en-ca/health/nutrition/20-unhealthiest-proteins-on-the-planet/ss-BBCbQOi?

The write up was:

Salmon is a healthy source of muscle-building protein and heart-healthy omega-3 fats. But that’s only if you’re eating wild salmon; farmed salmon is rife with unhealthy additives and toxins, including pink dye, bad omega-6 fats, and possibly tapeworms — yuck! Stick to wild salmon instead, which is leaner and contains more healthy fats. It can also help you lose weight. A study published in the journal International Journal of Obesity found that eating three 5-ounce servings of salmon per week for four weeks as part of a low-calorie diet resulted in approximately 2.2 more pounds lost than following a similar diet that didn't include fish.

Eat This! Instead

Wild Salmon

I think most us on here already new this though.....YUCK!

That's actually a great way to get the message out to the consumer about farmed salmon being a bad thing. People think salmon (any salmon) is healthy and that is why they eat it. And, a lot of people frankly don't want to hear about all of the damage farms do to the wild populations (or don't understand / care).
The issue though is if we are trying to get these protein factories moved from ocean to land - then how do you overcome the unhealthy argument?

Well, that's easy. If it was on land, you wouldn't need a lot of the pharmaceuticals they put in the pens to keep their farmed fish from getting diseases or trying to control the sea lice with Slice. Maybe they'd require much less antibiotics?

I also found it interesting regarding Albacore Tuna at #10. I recall reading in one of the tuna threads that Albacore has been shown to be lower in mercury levels than other tuna or perhaps I may be mistaken?

And possibly tapeworms? Lol. Never seen parasites in wild fish before? Of course they show a totally unrelated picture of a woman bent over in apparent discomfort, but fail to mention how that "horrible" condition is commonly dealt with. How often are folks here eating the uncooked intestinal tracts of the salmon or trout they eat? Not many....shocking. Hites study was a bunch of junk that's been debunked over and over again. That's not a very credible article.

I have caught 3 chinook in campbell in the last year that have tape worms, now I fillet without gutting so i dont see them.

Hites study was a bunch of junk that's been debunked over and over again. That's not a very credible article.
Do you have a link to the a paper that debunks it?

Do you have a link to the a paper that debunks it?
Well the library from Salmonfarmscience.com has the Hites study as well as other papers on the topic. One big criticism I have with Hites is the play on the concentrations. We are taking about extremely small concentrations of banned PCBs versus the overwhelming benefits of eating farmed or wild salmon to promote a healthy cardiovascular system. We also have a much larger crisis with obesity, specifically in children. Type 2 diabetes is more a problem. I understand the focus on this from some critics, but I believe it's misguided and counterproductive in the long run. In my opinion, we need to promote the consumption fish like salmon whether it's farmed or wild and stop pitting one side against the other and put the greater good of public health first. If some figure they are saving their children lives by restricting what salmon they can eat then that's their prerogative but not mine.

I'm glad to see no major disagreement with my opinion on tapeworms. It's restored my faith in my fellow anglers who have cleaned many fish and clearly know BS when they see it.

Well the library from Salmonfarmscience.com has the Hites study as well as other papers on the topic. One big criticism I have with Hites is the play on the concentrations. We are taking about extremely small concentrations of banned PCBs versus the overwhelming benefits of eating farmed or wild salmon to promote a healthy cardiovascular system.

That url is no longer active, so if you have another source I would be happy to look at the evidence that small concentrations in salmon are not harmful. My understanding is that as long as you keep your consumption down then the accumulation over time should be low. How low is safe is not clear to me so if you have a link I would be interested in reading it.

Ha ha your pretty funny glg. Posting as if you have never seen this discussion and points against this study. I understand repeat discussions on forums and I'm all for them as I even participate in them. However when I see someone who I believe has participated in a discussion previously behaving as if he has never been presented the counter points of the hites study I just have to laugh out loud. For a guy the "knows his stuff" you sure seem to have a selective memory.
Anyways carry on with your act fellas. Glg and agent. Its pretty obvious.

Ha ha your pretty funny glg. Posting as if you have never seen this discussion and points against this study. I understand repeat discussions on forums and I'm all for them as I even participate in them. However when I see someone who I believe has participated in a discussion previously behaving as if he has never been presented the counter points of the hites study I just have to laugh out loud. For a guy the "knows his stuff" you sure seem to have a selective memory.
Anyways carry on with your act fellas. Glg and agent. Its pretty obvious.

Well that's nice.... Perhaps since you work in this industry you have the information at hand. Here is an idea.... why don't you post up some links to make your case and not post up an attack on me. After all isn't this in the interest of the public as I think healthy food is what we all want.... right?

Everyone eats fruit, yet it is one of the most unhealthy foods to eat. Everybody eats halibut..... Worms and all. lol

Fish farm scientists are like "anti climate change scientists".

Just deny all logic that challenges their industry. Farm salmon is gross peuk and rapes poor countries oceans dry to breed these filthy slimy disgusting deformed Salmon

Fish farm scientists are like "anti climate change scientists".

Just deny all logic that challenges their industry. Farm salmon is gross peuk and rapes poor countries oceans dry to breed these filthy slimy disgusting deformed Salmon
Lol

It is interesting that all the commercial fish caught and sold to the public are NOT TESTED?

The Government tests cattle, chickens, pigs, etc. But not wild fish?

Wonder why?

Ever wonder what you are really eating?

Ever wonder why seals that were tested are so toxic they cannot be put into dumps but must be burnt?
Wonder what they were eating?

Killer Whales also are toxic, wonder why?

This is not about research. This is about food research.

See this, http://www.inspection.gc.ca/eng/1297964599443/1297965645317

You can wonder but I think most know....
“Every academic can unequivocally tell you that the landscape of funding for basic research in Canada has been changed and damaged beyond recognition over the past decade,” said an anonymous survey participant, according to the report.
http://www.nature.com/news/survey-reveals-basic-research-in-canada-is-falling-by-the-wayside-1.22224

Back