20' or 23' Hourston - PLESAE HELP

EZZ70

Hey peps, looking for a bit of advise here.

First of all love the classic lines of the Hourston Sedan's. I have a line on a 20 and 23 foot sedan that both require full gut outs, no worries there! I might add that the boat will only probably be used 3 weeks per year due to work commitments and local but in those 3 weeks I would like to do overnights or weekend trips, it will spend most of its life being a trailer princess
clear.png
so my question is...

1. Differences between these two models?

Cuddy head room?
Cockpit/pilot house head room?
Over-all versatility?
Sea-Worthiness?
Resale?

2. I am towing with a 1/2 tonne Ram 1500 eco-diesel so need to know what to expect for finished weights?

3. I also have secured a 2000 200 OX66 200HP Yamaha, think this would be adequate for either boat?

4. I was planning on notching the transom, rather than podding it as to save a few bucks, thoughts?

5. This will be a family boat with max 4 ppl at any one time, most likely only two ppl. Which boat is better?

Hey peps, looking for a bit of advise here.

First of all love the classic lines of the Hourston Sedan's. I have a line on a 20 and 23 foot sedan that both require full gut outs, no worries there! I might add that the boat will only probably be used 3 weeks per year due to work commitments and local but in those 3 weeks I would like to do overnights or weekend trips, it will spend most of its life being a trailer princess
clear.png
so my question is...

1. Differences between these two models?

Cuddy head room?
Cockpit/pilot house head room?
Over-all versatility?
Sea-Worthiness?
Resale?

2. I am towing with a 1/2 tonne Ram 1500 eco-diesel so need to know what to expect for finished weights?

3. I also have secured a 2000 200 OX66 200HP Yamaha, think this would be adequate for either boat?

4. I was planning on notching the transom, rather than podding it as to save a few bucks, thoughts?

5. This will be a family boat with max 4 ppl at any one time, most likely only two ppl. Which boat is better?

Sorry, I am no expert on Hourstons but "notching the transom" sounds sketchy. If a transom was not designed to take the weight and thrust of an outboard then you cannot use it for that purpose without structural enhancements.

Totally agree chris73 :eek:

I have to agree,a pod is better ,especially the 20 because they were always butt heavy. I'd go for the 23 for your use,but the 200 Yamaha won't work for it and I'm not sure your truck is big enough to haul it.You'd find the 20 cramped for overnighting ,but if it's for a night or two it's probably doable.I think the 20 is more of a day boat and the 23 is a comfortable weekender ,great ride and very sea worthy but needs a 250 or 300 for power.

Be careful with towing with that truck. Looks like it's rated for only 1500lbs payload...which includes people, fuel, gear, and trailer tongue weight.

My half-ton truck is rated to tow 9,200lbs, but I could never legally do it with a reasonable tongue weight due to the payload restriction. This is the problem with all the half-ton trucks.

Thank you people for the input and opinions, I guess I have to realistic with needs rather than wants, financially it makes more sense to get the 20 footer, i can power with the 200 ox 66 with only 400 hours to cut bigger engine expenses as well as no new truck as its 1/2 manageable...

I agree its only a day boat but can fit it to do the odd overnighter, might have to hotel it :)

Resale on the 23ft is going to be way better then the 20Ft. I personally think the 23ft Hourston is one of the best boats out there. Great for the family and overnighting with the enclosed cabin and you won't find a better riding boat in the ****** weather then a Hourston.

I believe you casper 5280, after all my research my top pick was the Hourston! I know I will have a great boat once restro is complete.

My dilemma is finances that are wife approved...
1. i have a 24x24 garage with a 8' OH door that i have to try an squeeze this boat in for winter construction, storage fees not an option
2. absolutely needs to be 1/2 tonne towable - can't afford to get a new vehicle
3. re-power - can't afford a 300hp so I am engaging a 2000 200hp OX66 400hrs

Also, i talked to Hurston today and asked the size of trailer required for the 20', he suggested a 3500# would suffice, so im going to try and get a used galvanized 4000#

3.0L V6 ECODIESEL 4x4 Crew Cab 6.4' Box
Payload 1260 lbs
Towing Capacity 7540 lbs

Last edited:
There is no way a 3,500# trailer is enough for the 20 Hourston. Not even the 4000#! I have a 19 Arima which is one of the lightest boats in this class (with a F115 motor) and I am bang on at 4000# with all in. Hourstons are heavy - you will need for sure a trailer of at least 6000# for your 20.

Also, i talked to Hurston today and asked the size of trailer required for the 20', he suggested a 3500# would suffice, so im going to try and get a used galvanized 4000#

3.0L V6 ECODIESEL 4x4 Crew Cab 6.4' Box
Payload 1260 lbs
Towing Capacity 7540 lbs

I think you need to be realistic about your weights. I really doubt that a rebuilt Hourston 20ft loaded with fuel, tackle, safety gear comes in at 3500lbs...that seems way too low.

Also, watch the weights for your truck. You'll have a tough time with a 1260lb payload staying legal:
Driver + passenger: 400lbs
Fuel (1ooL): 160lbs
Misc stuff: 40lbs
Totals 600lbs

That leaves you with 660lbs for the trailer tongue weight. Assume 15% of total trailer weight, so that means your boat+gear+trailer are limited to 4,400lbs.

3500 is way to low. Don't get the 23ft. It is great boat boat you need to be realistic about trailering. You also have to be realistic at limitations of boat that size. The 23ft is heavy.

There is reason why a lot of guys with 23ft have them moored.

The 20ft is perfect match with the truck you have. If you want the 23ft then be prepared for bigger truck.

Last edited:
This is controversial - but the Hourston 23' is a poorly designed boat.

For most of us, we wait all winter to get our boats in the water - why the hell do I spend all my time driving hunched over in the helm locked inside the cabin.

An once inside it's cramped with little room to move around or stand up straight. You can't even stand up and drive...

And when it comes to fishing you now need a second helm and second set of electronics. Either that or some poor sap needs to spend his day inside the cabin while the boys are fishing on the back deck. NEEDING a second helm on a boat <25' is silly.

Sure they handle well, but usability and design they are not even close to the best thing out there.

Here are some numbers for you on a poded 20' hourston Full of fuel water gear and supplies for a weekend in Nootka 2793 kg trailer is 500 kg 400 ltrs fuel. 80 ltrs water

This is controversial - but the Hourston 23' is a poorly designed boat.

For most of us, we wait all winter to get our boats in the water - why the hell do I spend all my time driving hunched over in the helm locked inside the cabin.

An once inside it's cramped with little room to move around or stand up straight. You can't even stand up and drive...

And when it comes to fishing you now need a second helm and second set of electronics. Either that or some poor sap needs to spend his day inside the cabin while the boys are fishing on the back deck. NEEDING a second helm on a boat <25' is silly.

Sure they handle well, but usability and design they are not even close to the best thing out there.
Not everyone goes out only on sunny hot summer days. I go out all winter, breaking through ice at Rocky Point boat launch in -10 degree weather. I'd like that cabin of a 23'er haha

Sure I can appreciate that @Corey_lax - but what about on a hot summer day. Who wants to be hunched in that cabin all day. Call me crazy but I like fresh air and sunshine.

Thank you to all as always, what about a Double Eagle? These are my 2 top picks in the 20' range...? thoughts

pro or cons, which would be considered best for resale and safety?

Last edited:
Why not consider a 23 to 24 foot aluminium? You get the space and should be lighter. Just a idea. Hewescraft....
Is overnighting a must? What will you do more. Fish or overnight?
Campion 542 would work for you or a lighter bayliner trophy maybe
Good luck

Last edited:
Thank you to all as always, what about a Double Eagle? These are my 2 top picks in the 20' range...? thoughts

pro or cons, which would be considered best for resale and safety?
My DE 206 is a pocket tank with decent room in the cabin considering it's a 20' hardtop. Since the beginning of June I commute daily in it from my place in the gulf islands to Vancouver Island around Ladysmith. I run her twice a day, once there, once back. I run her at almost exactly 40km/h according to the GPS so far, running every day, I have not yet had a single incident where the weather caused me to slow down below 35.

I think the Hourstons have a deeper V so would cut through the chop even better but as far as safety I doubt there would be a difference. A deeper V will roll worse at slow speeds or on anchor.

I don't know, if I ever pod my Eagle I think it'll be about the last boat I own. I used to run it across the strait out of Steveston and I have left in weather when they shut down the ferries (although I admit that was dumb and I would not do it again...when I got through Porlier I turned to my wife and said "never another crossing if it's over 25 knots." But you know there was hardly a drop of water in the boat and the only really sketchy moment was at Sand Heads when I lost sight of one of the buoys around 200 feet ahead and couldn't see it again in the spray until I almost ran into it. But it was too rough to turn around so on I went.

Anyway as far as I'm concerned the 20' Double Eagle is a damn tough hull. Mine came off the mooring in April in a storm - the mooring chain actually broke - and it drifted in the bay overnight. There was blue bottom paint on every rock and log in the whole bay and she was getting rolled against the rock when I found her the next morning. Total damage: some loss of gelcoat.

One day I'll pod her and that'll be that. I couldn't ask for much more in a boat that size.

I have a 20 hourston and have camped in it quite a few times. Cuddy is ample for two people. I am 6'2" and my brother is 6 and we ample room. Our gear is stored in the cockpit to sleep. As for rough weather I have had it in some ugly stuff on the west coast but always felt safe Easy to two and launch. easier to store.
Do not notch the transom, that would be more work than podding and can not see it working out well.

Back