2 stroke question

quote:Originally posted by fishassassin123

Where are you located Sea Ranger? What make of motor.

It would take no time to check linkage, prop size and compresion. Glady help if your near by.

Hey that is an Arima. Have you put it on a scale. I ask because I thought for a period of time they had a foam problem. The foam would hold water if it got in. The weight would cause the problem as well.
I'm in Colwood Fish 123, Is that anywhere near you?
Yikes, this is going from bad to worse. Will check and see how much the boat weighs. I did a lot of research about Arimas before I bought this boat and I read a lot in forums from actual owners of Arimas and never heard about a foam problem. It does sound plausable but I sure hope not.

And remember....Keep your tip up!!!
fish.gif

quote:Originally posted by fishassassin123

Where are you located Sea Ranger? What make of motor.

It would take no time to check linkage, prop size and compresion. Glady help if your near by.

Hey that is an Arima. Have you put it on a scale. I ask because I thought for a period of time they had a foam problem. The foam would hold water if it got in. The weight would cause the problem as well.
I'm in Colwood Fish 123, Is that anywhere near you?
Yikes, this is going from bad to worse. Will check and see how much the boat weighs. I did a lot of research about Arimas before I bought this boat and I read a lot in forums from actual owners of Arimas and never heard about a foam problem. It does sound plausable but I sure hope not.

fish.gif

Boat/Eng/Trl
Approx. Weight
17' SEA RANGER 2550 LB

Specifications

Length 16' 11" 5.16 m.
Beam 8' 2.44 m.
Height 5' 10" 1.78 m.
Weight 1430 lbs. 649 kg.
Max Power 120 h.p 120 h.p
Safe Load Cap. (6) 1600 lbs. 726 kg.
Fuel 27 gal. 102 L

fish.gif

Boat/Eng/Trl
Approx. Weight
17' SEA RANGER 2550 LB

Specifications

Length 16' 11" 5.16 m.
Beam 8' 2.44 m.
Height 5' 10" 1.78 m.
Weight 1430 lbs. 649 kg.
Max Power 120 h.p 120 h.p
Safe Load Cap. (6) 1600 lbs. 726 kg.
Fuel 27 gal. 102 L

fish.gif

I am in Courtenay. All are easy to fix, unless it's compression. I have owned an Arima. They are great machines. Weight is a easy test take the boat to the dump and drive on the scale the subtact the weight of your truck. I dout its the problem but it is another to check as it is a foam filled boat.

I am in Courtenay. All are easy to fix, unless it's compression. I have owned an Arima. They are great machines. Weight is a easy test take the boat to the dump and drive on the scale the subtact the weight of your truck. I dout its the problem but it is another to check as it is a foam filled boat.

I might be wrong but my motor sounds like its reved to the max at 4400 rpm and to rev it up to 5000+ rpm sounds like it would be over reving it. I'll do some research and let you know what I find, thanks.

fish.gif

I might be wrong but my motor sounds like its reved to the max at 4400 rpm and to rev it up to 5000+ rpm sounds like it would be over reving it. I'll do some research and let you know what I find, thanks.

fish.gif

See, this is why a "mechanics" forum wouldnt work. This has gone from a simple propping issue to soaked foam etc.. Simple guys, come on. He just needs to find out what prop hes got right now, that should tell him what he needs to know for now. Then e can look at other possibilities. FA, you should know better than that, The poor guys probably so confused now that he doesnt know what to do.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

See, this is why a "mechanics" forum wouldnt work. This has gone from a simple propping issue to soaked foam etc.. Simple guys, come on. He just needs to find out what prop hes got right now, that should tell him what he needs to know for now. Then e can look at other possibilities. FA, you should know better than that, The poor guys probably so confused now that he doesnt know what to do.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

Make sure your tach is accurate while your looking for an answer.

I think Island Fish Lifter hit it bang on there with the prop pitch theory. I am running a 115 two stroke and my Maximum is 5100 RPM. Mercury website says between 5000 and 5700 is rated RPM for my engine so I left it as is.

Reel Chaos

Sea Ranger how long have you owned this boat? Has it always been this way.

I really hope this info has not confused you. Very easy to touble shoot all of these things. That is why I even offered to help if you were near by.

I just went thru a problem with my 2 stroke Yamaha and it was none of the above mentioned. Turned out I had no spark in one of my cylinders do to a blown stator. With the blown stator I was unable to get the full power from my motor, but it ran perfectly. Confused me for some time. Almost cost me some bucks. But I worked it thru it and now it's all fixed on my machine now, and now I have total range of RPM.

Take one thing at a time and you will figure it out.Save your money it more then likly something minnor.

Well, I must admit this has gone from one thing to another so I phoned the dealer I bought my boat from and he more then assured me that there is nothing wrong with the outboard. He did say that when he bought the boat it had the same prop on it and I could change props but my motor is a 1992 and he didn't think it was a good idea to rev the motor more then what it is set at now. He also mentioned that 1 degree of pitch change will change the revs by apprx 450 rpm. Now is a good time for me to do a little tune up, change the plugs and leg oil, check the compression too. I wouldn't have been able to come up with so many ideas as to what might be wrong with out the help of everyone on this site so I thing thats a good thing but like fish lifter said.... doesn't make for a good mechanics site. Thanks all.

fish.gif

If you are truly only getting 4400 rpms wide open, your working it to death. Get low rpms equals taking it easy out of your head. The main factor is what gear is it in while turning those rpms. Example. Take a car with a stick, take off from from being completely stopped and going up a hill in 3rd gear. That is what an over propped outboard has to do every time you come up on plane.

By the way the dealer is a jackass!!

quote:Originally posted by profisher

If you are truly only getting 4400 rpms wide open, your working it to death. Get low rpms equals taking it easy out of your head. The main factor is what gear is it in while turning those rpms. Example. Take a car with a stick, take off from from being completely stopped and going up a hill in 3rd gear. That is what an over propped outboard has to do every time you come up on plane.
I see what you mean profisher and the way you explained it was very easy to understand. Is it possible my tac is out or something cause when its wide open it really doesn't sound like it should be reving much more then it is. I guess I'll have to have a machanic go out with me and have a listen to settle this.... I sure would love to find out.

fish.gif

Is there a mechanic in the house that might like to go for a little ride out of Pedder Bay this weekend?

fish.gif

Stopped in and talked to the mechanics at Sherwood Marine and they too say that it should be in the 5000 rpm range as well. They also said that if the boat goes up on plane easily then they doubt that it is a wet foam issue which is a good thing. But why is it propped wrong in the first place. Years ago I had an older 50 hp outboard that was about ready to blow up and the mechanic that looked at it back then put on a prop that stopped it from being over reved as he must have thought that would stop it from blowing up. Do you think that maybe that prop that is on there is on there for a reason? Is there a reason to not let a 2 stroke rev up to the 5000 rpm range? It would be a good money maker for a mechanic to put on a 2 stroke motor repair course for people like me who have so many questions..... just a thought.

fish.gif

Anything under 5000rpm is doing more damage to your motor, does not mater who say anything else if you reprop and your max rpms are 5500 then your still only going to crus at 4000 rpm.thats 1500 rpms your not using your motor will sound better and thank you.If your max is 4400 rite now and your crus is 4000 your going to blow it up.
It won't hurt to try .Have you figured out what pitch you are running?I live in colwood and don't mind giving you a hand if you want.

Back