1991 Double Eagle 166

nice clean rig!

img3937n.jpg

Great looking boat. Question for you in the know, I currently have the use of a 28ft fishing boat, too big to trailer and tricky to fish out of when alone. I live in North Saanich and I'm looking for a smaller boat to trailer out to Sooke and beyond, not out to Swiftsure or anything like that though.

Are you still pretty confident out there in a boat this size? I know it's all weather dependant but in general would this be your boat of choice?

Cheers

For Sooke this would be a great boat. That is if you usually do not have more than 2 people onboard.

quote:Originally posted by Weinstein

Great looking boat. Question for you in the know, I currently have the use of a 28ft fishing boat, too big to trailer and tricky to fish out of when alone. I live in North Saanich and I'm looking for a smaller boat to trailer out to Sooke and beyond, not out to Swiftsure or anything like that though.

Are you still pretty confident out there in a boat this size? I know it's all weather dependant but in general would this be your boat of choice?

Cheers

This has been an awesome boat in everything thats been thrown at it. I've always felt safe but haven't been in a gale force or a true small craft warning situation. Has handled going from Gibsons to the Fraser, all over Howe Sound and Georgia Straight without any worries in choppy seas. The flared bow really deflects the water nicely as well! It fishes 2 VERY comfortably. I think these are pretty popular boats in your area

I have the DE one size up (176 size -actually 17'1"LOA) and its been all over up in Esperanza, to Ferrer and out on the Highway, also trips from Vancouver to Lund and many trips to Gulf Islands from Vancouver and its performed very well for its size class. Its fought some nasty seas as well and always has impressed me. As Coholips mentions the DE has a very well built hull which throws water out very well producing a dry ride for a 17 ' . As in any smaller boat it is however obviously generally limited to better weather only. I do however think the boat can handle more than my back can -lol

Back