Should I buy?

• Total voters

Raab

I am thinking about purchasing a
1982 19ft bayliner. Person is asking $3500.00

For engine 470 mercury
And alpha one leg

Needs battery alternator and waterpump

He says floor stringers and transom are solid.

Attachments

• 00y0y_4c4EC6CngFa_600x450.jpg
    00y0y_4c4EC6CngFa_600x450.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 92
check compression and bring your hammer this time. Check the leg oil with just a crack of the screw to see if its oil or water. Looks like the trailer isn't touching at the bow and it has rubbed through the gel coat.

I don't know anything about those engines but it would look good with a pod and a 250 HP on it. But you probably don't want a project as of right now. Looks like a comfy boat if it checks out alright. Any electronics coming with it? downriggers, chartplotter, VHF, safety gear, life jackets, etc..

be prepared to re wire, and new fuel tank. it is a bayliner.

check compression and bring your hammer this time. Check the leg oil with just a crack of the screw to see if its oil or water. Looks like the trailer isn't touching at the bow and it has rubbed through the gel coat.

I don't know anything about those engines but it would look good with a pod and a 250 HP on it. But you probably don't want a project as of right now. Looks like a comfy boat if it checks out alright. Any electronics coming with it? downriggers, chartplotter, VHF, safety gear, life jackets, etc..

I like how it has a cabin and toilet. But ill be triple checking everything this time. I just hope this guy has done some work in the past. He hasn't mentioned anything that comes with the boat just told me whats wrong with it.

And whats wrong with the bow not touching the trailer?

Really? So now i know what to ask the guy. So if it needs wiring or fuel tank walk away?

boat looks okay from a pic... just be prepared to refresh major items like fuel tank, wiring... i wouldnt walk away, adjust price negotiate and take it on if you like the boat enough. a 3500 boat can cost thousands right away or with some basic knowledge and maintenance a great buy... i have experienced this both ways.

the marks from the bow guide rubbing looks suspicious from the pic but most likely just rubber on the gel coat, cut polish and done, hopefully.

the marks from the bow guide rubbing looks suspicious from the pic but most likely just rubber on the gel coat, cut polish and done, hopefully.

True. My thinking is that its a boat i can out in the waters overnight. But I hope i dont run iinto Somali pirates lol just joking. I have another boat which im gonna view a 16 foot Peterborough speed boat with 85 Evinrude and trailer . He is asking $2800.00 and i asked him if there was any rot and he replied it is fiberglass hull. What ive learnt from everyone on this site is that all boats have wood?

I am thinking about purchasing a
1982 19ft bayliner. Person is asking $3500.00

For engine 470 mercury
And alpha one leg

Needs battery alternator and waterpump

He says floor stringers and transom are solid.
Smell, just open the dog house and have a wiff under, distintive smell of rot, bayliner are not the best boat built out there,but at 3500$ if the hull is solid its a good start, i ran a bayliner 2452 for 7 years, beat the **** out of it offshore and it was still floating when i got rid of it(motor blew up)i did have to rewire most of it, but other than maintenance it was a good boat

Smell, just open the dog house and have a wiff under, distintive smell of rot, bayliner are not the best boat built out there,but at 3500$ if the hull is solid its a good start, i ran a bayliner 2452 for 7 years, beat the **** out of it offshore and it was still floating when i got rid of it(motor blew up)i did have to rewire most of it, but other than maintenance it was a good boat
When are u viewing the boat?? If i have time and its not to far i can maybe join you, i am in langley, just hate to see you go true a nightmare again lol

True. My thinking is that its a boat i can out in the waters overnight. But I hope i dont run iinto Somali pirates lol just joking. I have another boat which im gonna view a 16 foot Peterborough speed boat with 85 Evinrude and trailer . He is asking $2800.00 and i asked him if there was any rot and he replied it is fiberglass hull. What ive learnt from everyone on this site is that all boats have wood?
Most older boats have wood covered by FG, problem is stress cracks in FG where it is tab in to the hull, water gets in and boom you have a roting boat, any penetrations in the transom is a problem too,ex leg assembly, if you see a **** load of caulking around the shield chance are water was comming in and transom problem, tap with a hammer around the shield both inside and outside the sound of a soft transom is easy to figure out

The Bayliner and Peterborough are two VERY different boats. What are your goals and intended use?

The 16' with the 85HP 'speed boat' wont do more than low 30s mph. If that is fast enough for you, great. 2 would be comfortable, 3 on board will make it feel very small.

You'll need a full sized truck to the pull the Bayliner. Almost anything will tow the 16'.

At this price point/age, I would budget to have a reserve fund equal to the purchase price. For updating electrics, basic repairs/replacements/fluid changes and a RELIABLE kicker.

Engine water pump on the 3.7L Merc 470? What a stupid setup... Hope the timing cover and camshaft seal surfaces are ok.
New exhaust manifold about $1900 US as well..
Rather have a Chevy 350 considering price of parts.. you could buy 6 exhaust manifolds for a 350 for the price of one for that 3.7 L
New heat exchanger is another $1000 when it starts leaking.
Just saying with boats it's not if it's when is it going to cost you more money. Just research so you can get an idea what to expect.

Engine water pump on the 3.7L Merc 470? What a stupid setup... Hope the timing cover and camshaft seal surfaces are ok.
Rather have a Chevy 350 considering price of parts.. you could buy 6 exhaust manifolds for a 350 for the price of one for that 3.7 L
Just saying with boats it's not if it's when is it going to cost you more money. Just research so you can get an idea what to expect.
An old friend of mine told me years ago you have extra money buy a boat you will be broke forever lol

In addition to the good advice above...
If there are trim tabs or transducers attached to the transom, remove some of the attaching screws. If any water drips out you know there's a problem. The plywood inside the glass may not be rotted yet, but without preventive maintenance you will have problems in the future.
When I checked out my current boat, I made a probe by gluing a darning needle into the end of a short piece of dowel.
I removed several screws from the transom & pushed the needle firmly into the core. Luckily, the core was still in very good condition.
Also, with the leg partway up, stand on the cavitation plate & bounce up & down. There should be no movement or distortion of the fibreglass. Any stress you can apply is a fraction of what will be there when cruising on a rough day.
Then, go into the boat & bounce up & down on the decks. Again, no movement is good. Any bounce in the floors & you're into a project sooner or later.
Compression check, for sure. Take a mirror & a flashlight & check for rust on the bottom of the oil pan. Perforation is a common problem.
Does the engine have a heat exchanger? If not (and the boat was used in salt water) advanced corrosion of the block is very likely.
Unless they were recently replaced, budget for changing out exhaust components if saltwater run.
Spin the prop to see if it wobbles.
Insist on a sea trial. If the owner balks, I would walk away.
There are lots of things to go wrong with an older boat. The steps above will find a few of the most common & expensive ones.
With luck, this boat may have been well cared for & be in really nice shape. If not, a careless (or uninformed) owner can allow the boat & its systems to deteriorate, causing many costly problems.
Best of good luck with your search!

When are u viewing the boat?? If i have time and its not to far i can maybe join you, i am in langley, just hate to see you go true a nightmare again lol

That is very generous of you, really is. I told him this Saturday morning and he is all the way in north Vancouver. But reading your guys posts i think i shouldnt check it out with it being of craigslist for 6 months. When ever i look for used cars im always looking at the date it was posted. Ill look on usedvictoria and keep looking on craigslist. I saw a 12ft fg boat asking 2100 needed transom and throttle cables. Was way to small to go fishing in the sea.

I think i better just save more and up my budget.

Back