18th Annual Just for the Halibut Derby

porcupine

The 18th Annual Just for the Halibut Derby will be held on April 20th and 21st. First prize is $7,500 cash, 2nd prize is $2,500, and 3rd prize is $1,000 cash. A hidden weight “Bonus” prize is sponsored by SG Power. Tickets are $60 per rod and will be available at Island Outfitters, Pedder Bay Marina or Cheanuh Marina. Call 250-475-4969 for more information.

Yeah, I may skip it this year. With all that is going on I don't think I am all that excited about the derby this year. Too bad really.

I vote for canceling the derby...apart from being a ward and darren cash cow...it sends a bad message to the public..............

Just curious as I am fairly new to fishing here and haven't entered the Derby before and was wondering what do they do with the money that they collect on entry fees that is above the total $$ amount of prizes that are awarded? Does it go towards any enhancement projects or?

Just curious as I am fairly new to fishing here and haven't entered the Derby before and was wondering what do they do with the money that they collect on entry fees that is above the total $$ amount of prizes that are awarded? Does it go towards any enhancement projects or?

It goes to a children's charity, the TLC Fund.

I spoke with Ward this afternoon regarding the derby. First prize will go to the largest legal halibut by weight, etc. There will be THREE $1,000 HIDDEN WEIGHT prizes in addition to the other hidden weight prized donated by SG Power. They are trying to find a way to have a prize for the largest catch and release halibut.

Well, well what's going to happen to the derby after today's halibut news?
Effective 00:01 hours April 1, 2013 until further notice:
- The maximum lengthfor halibut is 126cm.
- The daily limit for halibut is one (1).
- The possession limit for halibut is two (2), only one of which may be greater
than 83cm in length.

Well, well what's going to happen to the derby after today's halibut news?
Effective 00:01 hours April 1, 2013 until further notice:
- The maximum lengthfor halibut is 126cm.
- The daily limit for halibut is one (1).
- The possession limit for halibut is two (2), only one of which may be greater
than 83cm in length.

My bet is a 60lb fish will win !:p

Bag weight... Closest to 120 wins ;)

Back