18' Welded Aluminum

Reeltime

Good deal and starter boat, needs a clean up... Not my boat or ad

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/pml/boa/d/18-welded-aluminum-boat/6748280251.html

00v0v_e1umuLWnCTD_600x450.jpg

Damn good Hull! My friend has one and put a full hard top with 6’4” head room, extended the hull 3’ and a ton of custom stuff. I’m very jealous of his boat and would buy this but my wife would take the kid and leave me lol

Damn good Hull! My friend has one and put a full hard top with 6’4” head room, extended the hull 3’ and a ton of custom stuff. I’m very jealous of his boat and would buy this but my wife would take the kid and leave me lol

Buy the boat !! LOL !!

Do it you won't find that deal for awhile, just tell your wife this boat will fill the freezer!, i was close to buying it for a winter
project.

I wish I could buy it! If she leaves me I won’t be able to afford it! My buddy paid $8600 back in 1996 for a bare hull and trailer. No motor. This is a smoking deal!

those ocean sport hulls are not really that great, I have seen a few of them split welds, not much of a keel on them, a heavy wind will blow them around a bit. They are beamy and stable for fishing but be careful with those hulls. this one was used at a lodge in Haida Gwaii, probably from the old charlotte explorer. they would be at the bottom of my list of aluminum hulls in that size range.

those ocean sport hulls are not really that great, I have seen a few of them split welds, not much of a keel on them, a heavy wind will blow them around a bit. They are beamy and stable for fishing but be careful with those hulls. this one was used at a lodge in Haida Gwaii, probably from the old Charlotte explorer. they would be at the bottom of my list of aluminum hulls in that size range.

My experience with these Ocean Sports was one a buddy bought used from Sewell's many years ago ....and it too was one from their lodge vessel 'Charlotte Explorer' . I brought it over to Salt Spring Island for him from Sewells in Horseshoe Bay in less than perfect conditions. It got blown around easily with its relatively flat bottom. While a good stable fishing platform due to its wide beam and shallow deadrise, for that same reason it was terrible at speed in the 3' chop. Suspension/shockwave seats would likely help cut the back pain but certainly not stop the excessive pounding ..... my brain and eyes nearly popped out of my head on that crossing. My spine will never be the same lol. No wonder welds split as nicnat mentioned seeing on some.

fished from one they are built like a tank and ride like one as well ...
they really pound and if you have any back issues don't even go close to one ......

ours never had any issues with split welds and is still in the family
hull number ten i believe..
one other sold from the coast this year( 9K)with a 2 stroke and i think there is still one in horseshoe bay moored .....

IMG_1358.jpg

^^^ hilarious we both posted at exactly same time .... and both mentioned the pounding and back pain lol

Before my buddy put the house on, hull extension etc it was called the motor cross boat because we would be jumping waves. Now with all the extra weight it cuts through a 3’ chop nicely at 20mph

I've never seen one of those hulls cut thru a 3' chop and I have a lot of experience with those boats. I believe St. Johns fishing lodge also used them when they were at Milbanke. they were also called ITM's I believe not sure which name was 1st ocean sport or itm, I think they went belly up a couple of times and changed names. when Sewell's first got them for the charlotte explorer, I took one (with another sewell;s guide) over to thrasher from horseshoe bay to fish for 1/2 a day, nice calm day, they had new 50 4stroke mercs (if my memory is correct,lol) . we used a portable 5 gallon tank (also had main tank fairly full) , we couldn't believe it but we got back to horseshoe bay still using the 5 gal tank, not much left but super fuel efficient and was fun to fish out of. I also used them a few times at hippa on the charlotte explorer, not fun in the wind. they also had 1 at qcl back in the late 80's, they called it the boot and you were doomed if you got stuck guiding with this pofs. it leaked and pounded like no other aluminum boat in the fleet, unbelievable. that is probably overpriced for that hull in the ad as it was used in the charlottes, I sure wouldn't be trusting those welds going offshore on that boat.

i worked at Sewells when we rigged these boats for the Charlotte Explorer ,
they were merc 2 stokes , 60 hp's if i remember correctly , yes dirt cheap on fuel ,
great in calm water , but terrible in the chop , just way to light , bad design , far from a tank imo
fished them several times in the sound
this boat has been for sale a while on CL , keeps relisting it ,
m2b
stay away , unless using it in calm waters or a lake
great price though ! for an aluminum

fd

Last edited:
Back