176 double eagle prop pitch

DVL U Know

OK, I have looked through the old posts and not found what I am looking for...I have a double eagle 176 with a Honda 90 (early 2000's) that I think has prop issues.

It maxes out WOT of 4600 and is so slow getting out of the hole. By the gps it goes about 28 mph. Think it has 19 on it right now, what do others run on this? What kind of performance do you get?

This boat waddles in the water too, makes for great fishing but it is annoying. Any ideas?

Thanks

I'm thinking you have too much prop or not enough horsepower. I'm guessing that engine should be turning in the 5500-6000 rpm range at WOT. You might be better served with a 17" or even a 15" prop depending on style, material and number of blades. For what its worth I am running a freshly rebuilt 1986 Johnson 150 with a 19" aluminum on my similar year 17' Double Eagle, at 5000 rpm I'm at 44-45 mph with a little more throttle available.
Four strokes usually like to turn a little higher rpms but it is not good to lug either type which it sounds like yours may be.

J

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi DVL,
that is a fair amount of boat for a 90hp Honda which is also a pretty heavy ob in itself. I think you should consider what 79 Jimmy suggested and try a slightly lower pitch prop. That should definitely give you more hole shot and increase your rpms.

The other thing you might want to check is the mounting height of your ob. Can it be moved a notch higher? You might be too low and creating unnecessary drag. Or are you using too long of a shaft ie an extra long shaft Honda when it s/b a long shaft?

Thanks guys I'll look into the mounting height.

Sure the prop has too much. Think I'll try a 17, or maybe even a 15.

Was hoping someone had the same set up so I could compare.

I had the same boat with a yami f100 (basicly a 90) and I had a 21 inch pitch on it turning 4600rpm but that was a turning point hustler prop for comparrison

Back