150 Optimax

Gypseas

Got out a few days ago just to come around the Wiffin Spit and find it too rough in the open.
So I was taking it easy on the throttle say around 2000-3000rpm you know trying to keep it on the plane without slamming too hard. The outboard temp got too high to the point where it would not rev up higher than 2000rpm. High temp alarm came on and when checking the temp found it at 89deg Celsius.
Is has happened before, took it at the Mercury Marine they changed the water pump, checked the thermostat all looked clean they said no problem.
Anyone out there with the same problem? When at cruising speed temp in the motor shows between 29-31 celsius.
Thanks

JUST FISHEN'

Did you hit a chunk of kelp ???and it got wrapped around the intake cooling ports??? AS I have had the temp go up on that before??? cut the corner coming into the basin entrance from that kelp bed that sticks way out.
how is it now??

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Nope no kelp in the intake just going too slow, not enough water through the motor I guess. Water coming out of the telltale hole was warm not hot by any means.

It's never done it while running at cruise. Say I come out of the slow zone with a temp of 72°C as soon as I punch the throttle to come on plane the temp will go down to 29°C in a matter of seconds.
Hows your 225Opti behavin' ? Will it let you troll on it without overheating? When you slow down to park the boat does it start steaming at all?

Thanks Wolf!

JUST FISHEN'

That seems weird to me as it shouldnt matter how fast or slow your going a pump is a pump maybe time for an impeller check????
As for my engine I think it is great no problems as for the steam you see I think it has to do with the compresser that is on them ????
I can troll on it if I want but have never had to cause if it that rough out there I dont want to be out there LOL LOL

Good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

could be a bad sensor. What year is the engine? if it is a 2000 or 2001 , they had sensor problems .The sensors have a plastic base that gets cracked and gives a high temp reading putting the engine into "guardian" mode. Try replacing the sensor with a brass based one. let me know how it goes.

Once upon a time and the only time I’ve had that problem: I ran one of my outboards up on the beach and filled the entire water cooling system with sand. I ended up replacing the impeller, then had to go back and clean the water passages - as it ran hot at an idle. I cleaned the water passage first running water backwards through the telltale hole as a friend suggested. Then finally had to take it back apart to clean each line.

It sounds like it can only be one of these four things (that I know of). And I would check them in the order listed. Impeller, clogged/loose water tube/passages, thermostat, sensors. If you have just changed your impeller make sure you don’t have any salt deposits, sand, mud, or kinks clogging the internal water tubes/passages. Make sure your internal tubes have a good connection and aren’t loose! Check your screens and STRAINER!</u> Just a small amount of salt deposit or sand will make it run hot at an idle. If that doesn’t do it I would change the thermostat (even if it tested good), and then any other associated sensors.

Oh... just for giggles! Make sure your timming is set right!

Charlie you just made me think of something that used to happen !!!!
It may be a blocked tube as I know there was a problem with the rubber gromet at the engine block restricting the flow You may want to phone either merc or alpine (btw my best friend works at alpine/morrison) tell him I sent you i can give you his number gypseas pm me if you like.

Good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Originally posted by Gypseas
It's never done it while running at cruise. Say I come out of the slow zone with a temp of 72°C as soon as I punch the throttle to come on plane the temp will go down to 29°C in a matter of seconds.

JUST FISHEN'
When your temp rapidly drops to 29 this is because your poppet valve has taken over for the thermastats due to higher water pressure. Thermastats are only active at lower rpm's. Sounds like your overheating during this transition stage. A faulty poppet valve is a possibility but unlikely. Sounds like not enough water pressure or water volume. Before pulling out your hair have your waterpump rechecked. Assuming impeller is ok check all gaskets are correct and sealing properly, check for correct upper housing there is one that looks and feels correct but leaves a small space between housing and impeller plate. Another common mistake is a pump kit is installed but the lower pump housing is not removed and the housing and gearcase intakes are not cleaned out. They can be plugged with an old piece of impeller or barnecles. Good Luck ;)
Oh ya: Some of the pumps have a rubber or silicone bead at the back of the waterpump base preventing exaust from entering the water cavity.
I'm setting priorities & making time for fishing.

Thanks for the help guys!
The motor is a 2003 with 250hrs and under warranty until 2010 (long story;))
Had a new pump impeller installed a year and a half ago and last service at the Merc Marine they said thermostat was pulled and all looked spic an span no problems. 380 bucks later that is [8)]
GLG done some reading and found this

quote:
I was just reading what Snowbird had wrote earlier about a tech telling him his optimax wasnt supposed to be run for any length of time in the 2000 r.p.m range. The tech was telling the truth. The reason for it is this. There is two modes the optimax runs in. Homogeneouss and stratified.
Homogeneous fuel is injected on the intake stroke and dispersed.
Stratified fuel is injected during compression stroke
Simple terms, stratified fuel charge is an ultra lean burn for fuel emissions at low load. So when you run it around the 2000 r.p.m it hasnt changed into the homogeneous fuel stage, so your engine is running extra lean, and more likely to cause damage. Therefor optimax you should either idle, or run at higher r.p.m. They may have fixed this on newer model optimax's I'm not to sure. Anyway i just thought i would throw that in there so you know why he said that.
Guess next service I'll have to pound at it again.
Cheers!

JUST FISHEN'

Check your STRAINER!</u>

Water is fed by a small tube that has this little strainer on it where it goes into the powerhead. I am think'n that will solve your problem! :)

Your problem is not an uncommon one!! There are a couple of fixes for this witch include changing a small bypass hose from 5/16" to 3/8"( now I cannot be sure what one it was ).My 2001 did it 2 times in the 150 hours that I owned it and it is a known problem at around 2000RPM cruise the alarm will sound off. Wolfs guy should be able to point you in the correct direction. Don't let the dealers keep saying "It needs a new pump or impeller" It needs to be corrected! I am pretty sure if you go to "continuous wave" Boston Whaler site discussion forums and do a search you will read like I did about the problem. Good luck!

Will check that strainer next time the boat comes home.
What bypass hose would that be Fishallspec? With the motor still under warranty I wouldn't want to mess it up on my own :D

cheers

JUST FISHEN'

Got out a few days ago just to come around the Wiffin Spit and find it too rough in the open.
So I was taking it easy on the throttle say around 2000-3000rpm you know trying to keep it on the plane without slamming too hard. The outboard temp got too high to the point where it would not rev up higher than 2000rpm. High temp alarm came on and when checking the temp found it at 89deg Celsius.
Is has happened before, took it at the Mercury Marine they changed the water pump, checked the thermostat all looked clean they said no problem.
Anyone out there with the same problem? When at cruising speed temp in the motor shows between 29-31 celsius.
Thanks

JUST FISHEN'

When you say they checked the thermostat what does that mean? I know you can test them in water that is then heated till they open and check the opening temperature with a thermometer but don't really see the point. Just visually inspecting them will not tell you much and if you have gone to the trouble of pulling them out why not replace em. My 225 Opti has only once thrown an overheat alarm and that was kelp fronds blocking the intake ports. The temperature should be stable throughout the rpm range, - mine is.

Back