12v issues

sasqman

Crew Member
Hey Guys,

A couple random questions.

1 - I put in a new LED 3 stage map light and it seems now that every time I pull out/in my cigarette lighter, the light turns on? Is it going to be a grounding issue?

2 - I put a new LED toggle switch for my water pump. The light works intermittently, but mostly never, but the switch works for the pump power just fine. Any ideas?

Thanks Paul

#1 is a mystery but #2 is a ground issue.

Sounds like a previous owner used power/ground wires from one device to service other devices. Each device should be wired to common busbars.

Hey Guys,

A couple random questions.

1 - I put in a new LED 3 stage map light and it seems now that every time I pull out/in my cigarette lighter, the light turns on? Is it going to be a grounding issue?

2 - I put a new LED toggle switch for my water pump. The light works intermittently, but mostly never, but the switch works for the pump power just fine. Any ideas?

Thanks Paul
Made in china

Sounds like a previous owner used power/ground wires from one device to service other devices. Each device should be wired to common busbars.

So each device should have it's own direct ground to the Bush bar? And I'm guessing that LED's are more sensitive to electrical currents, because I never had issues before I switched a couple things to Led.

20200501_165227.jpg

So each device should have it's own direct ground to the Bush bar?
Yes
And I'm guessing that LED's are more sensitive to electrical currents, because I never had issues before I switched a couple things to Led.
LED = Light Emitting Diode. A diode (LED) will only work if wired properly with respect to positive & negative wires. It sounds like some of your wiring has the polarity reversed.

Yes

LED = Light Emitting Diode. A diode (LED) will only work if wired properly with respect to positive & negative wires. It sounds like some of your wiring has the polarity reversed.

Thanks for your help Ericl!!
I really appreciate it.

Paul

I put extra circuits onto my 21' I/O boat.
Therefore I also had to put larger negative Buss Bar onto the inside of the transom. I must have had 15 or 20 screws to accept the numerous black ground wires.
I used a genuine copper buss bar from an electrical Motor Control Center, and offset it from the transom with insulators.
after making all the connections I then spray painted with electrical insulating paint, Glypthal.
When I first had the boat, there was a connection up front that some ground wires went to a single bolt. when that bolt loosened, all kinds of devices went on the fritz.

Back