120 HP JOHNSON

twinwinds

I Have a 120 V4 johnson (1994)That quit on me today, It was getting way too much fuel! It would idle (barely) but when i opened it up tons of fuel would puke from the carbs.....Any ideas?

cheers

just started it in driveway and almost sounds like one cylinder is not firing......its farting and backfiring..

Sounds like a trip to a mechanic is in order!!!!!!

sounds like your primer solenoid may be stuck. Id look there first.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

Phone tiptons outboards in lake cowichan. He does alot of work on older omc engines.

The red valve was in a downward position. I don't know all that much about these things. I will call a mechanic to come look at it this week......Such nice weather this weekend too.[xx(]

I have a 1994 60hp johnson and the red valve on mine needs to be parallel to the housing, if mine is in the downward position my engine doesn't run at all.

I would say that a float needle is stuck open, allowing to much fuel into the carb and flooding it out. Might just need to buy a carb kit, do a thorough cleaning and reassemble. Carbs would need to be synced before starting her up.

Thanks for all the tips.....Wished i was a little more knowledgeable in engine repairs so i could fix it myself!....

A friend had a similarly problem on the weekend. We tested for spark and found one was not working as good as the others. Swapped coils and that changed nothing. Swapped plugs and the problem went to the other cylinder. Pulled that plug out and put in a spare and that seemed to do the trick.

I have one of those spark testers that clip on the plug wire. Bought it many years ago and have used it lots. I don’t recall how much but I know it was cheap.
GLG

How would a faulty spark plug or coil cause fuel to puke out the carb? That will only cause a clean or wet looking plug. It is either a carb or reed valve problem.

Twinwinds said “just started it in driveway and almost sounds like one cylinder is not firing......its farting and backfiring

That’s what my buddy told me his motor was doing.

Guys, I was trying to answering twinwinds post to say check the obvious first before you send it to Mr. Bigbill.

He also said “Thanks for all the tips.....Wished i was a little more knowledgeable in engine repairs so i could fix it myself!....”

The average guy can and should test for the basic stuff. Compression, gas, air and spark. The average guy should be able to work on a 1994 motor. Or least test it before you send it to the shop. In my own way, I was encouraging twinwinds not to overlook the simple things first.

A better post by me might have been to send him to search http://forums.iboats.com or http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/index.php
Or tell him to check the basics compression, gas, air and spark and report his findings to help eliminate the working components and focus on the problem.

My bet for twinwinds fix is “send it in to the shop and let those with vastly more knowledge fix it.”

What the world needs is a wiki for fixing things.

Anyone know how to stop my microwave oven from flashing 1200. ;)(kidding)

GLG

Farting or coughing sounds more like a lean condition, or lack of fuel. That would be more common and would indicate possible plugged jets or circuits in a carb. It could just be an adjustment, but not likely if the coughing is bad and came on suddenly. Diagnosing on the hose is also not as easy as in the water. All engines run smoother or better mask issues without the back pressure from having the leg submerged. An engine may run fairly well on the hose in the driveway, but stall out when put in gear out on the water. A bad coil or plug should just cause a rough or shaky idle and a loss of power, not coughing and farting.

quote:Originally posted by GLG

Anyone know how to stop my microwave oven from flashing 1200. ;)(kidding)

GLG

lol, good one. Thanks for the laugh at work today :D

I had the same type of problem last year. It was not spuing gas out of the carb though. It ended up being a coil. I figured it out my self by seeing that the spark was weak on that cylinder. It would not run smooth at idle.New coil , problem solved.

quote:Originally posted by WillyD

I had the same type of problem last year. It was not spuing gas out of the carb though. It ended up being a coil. I figured it out my self by seeing that the spark was weak on that cylinder. It would not run smooth at idle.New coil , problem solved.

I had a similar issue with a 140 Johnson back in the early eighties.Turned out to have a grounding problem with one coil.Cleaned up a bit of corrosion and the motor never gave me any more trouble.
Tradewinds problem sounds like a needle and seat problem to me though.
Dave

Back