115 mercury-Thoughts?

I sold a 125 that looked exactly the same last spring for under $2K.
Mine was a "2+2" engine, meaning it ran on 2 cylinders at low power & kicked in the other 2 when you hit the throttle.
If this motor works the same way... All I'll say is I mostly hated the damn thing.
It was fine at high power settings, but horrible in the harbour. I was embarrassed every time I cruised out with the engine trying to shake off the transom & belching oil smoke. The carbs have a habit of leaking when the motor is tilted up, so I left an oil slick at every launch. Something to check before purchase.
My 140 Suzuki upgrade burns a bit more than half the fuel of that old screamer.
Sure had a ton of power when you opened it up, though! And it never failed me.
If this one runs on all cylinders all the time, it'd be a lot nicer to own.
There is some bargaining room on the price, I'd think. From all I read before I bought the 125 they are a very powerful & reliable rig.
If nothing else, it'd probably work fine & get your buddy out on the water for a whole lot less than a new 4 stroke.
Just do all the recommended pre purchase checks. Depending on how long it's been sitting, I'd ask for a sea trial. Those carbs aren't cheap to overhaul. If they're gummed up you might not be able to tell until you opened it up for a while, under load. Low hours on an old engine isn't always a good thing.

pay less now. pay more later and could
leave u stranded.
unless u dont plan on going anywhere
far from the doc I'd say go newer or at least a lease return...

Old engine that’s been sitting for 26 years and only 300 hrs on it, is just an expensive time bomb. Unless it passess the compression test and you get 50% discount on the asking price, I’d stay away from it.

Last edited:
Back