115 evinrude ficht are they that bad?

cletus

Does anybody have any first hand experience with evinrude ficht motors.I'm lookin at a 19' striper with a 2000 115 evinrude ficht with about 350 hours.The owner says he has never had anything serious go wrong just a few minor issues.

Is this boat even worth condidering with this motor on it,as i hear they are pieces of shyte and like to explode or fry the computers.
thanks

If you want some good info on these motors give Chris a call at Island outboards in Campbell River. I asked him the same thing and he was really informative, but I forgot most of the info he gave me.:(

To tell you the truth, I would call Chris again and go over the year of the engine.I am pretty sure Chris has Mondays off still so give him a call tuesday.(No-body else at that shop will be of any help, Chris has worked there for 20+ years), if you want a second opinion the owner of PY marine in port alberni will give you some good info too. I know the e-tecs are based on the ficht, but what they changed and when is out of my league.

Unless you have the history of this motor such as shop work done and updates I would be very leery about buying this unit.
BRP has done a remarkable job of bringing the reliability of these motors back up to competetiveness with other brands, the problems with ficht pushed OMC into bankruptcy.
The only thing going for this motor is that it survived for 350hrs, which is not that much.

STILLKICKING.jpg

IMG_1445.jpg

I did some reading on these engines, and from what i gather the V4
models were bullet proof.
It was the V6 engines that had all the trouble.
Take that with a grain of salt, as i have never owned one and cannot speak from experience

With this kind of information you can make a more informed choice.
There is some information that I was not aware of in that web site and as they state if it has gone over 100hrs there should be no problem.[8D]

IMG_1445.jpg

Thanks for the site coholips.I've done alot of reading on these motors and feel a little better about the 115 v4 ficht.Now if i can work out a deal.
Thanks

The V 4 were great motors. They actually won some awards for reliability and quality. It was the big v6's that were the downfall. Which is a shame because the big V6 rudes in the past were their best by a long shot. I still have a 175 Rude Oceanpro that is a work of art. Just burns a log of gas.

Back