100% of Angling Licence Revenue to Benefit Anglers

SFBC

Admin
Staff member
NEWS RELEASE

For Immediate Release 2015FLNR0026-000296 March 9, 2015 Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations 100% of angling license revenue to benefit anglers

VICTORIA – 100% of revenue generated from fishing licences will directly benefit anglers effective April 1, 2015, under an agreement announced today between the Province and the Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC. Under the agreement the total amount to be transferred to the society for 2015-16 will be approximately $10 million, an increase of about $3 million annually over what the society currently receives.

Full story here. http://www.sportfishingbc.com/post.php?100-of-Angling-Licence-Revenue-to-Benefit-Anglers-265

Thompson trying to earn some brownie points after giving away minimum 20% to maximum 40% (depending on species) of our allocated most high value big game animals to GOABC and guide outfitters...
the north american standard is around 10%
sorry, had to get that off my chest..

this has been in the works for awhile... but the timing is a little questionable. good news none the less...

Last edited by a moderator:
Provincial government rights a wrong for a change. IMO the only good thing these clowns have done for the province.

great news, I think it's an extra $3.0 million to play with. Now if only they would spend some money on something other then stuffing lakes full of "catchables".

Provincial government rights a wrong for a change. IMO the only good thing these clowns have done for the province.
I enjoy lots of things about this government. Living kinda fat for the last little while. Drive on good roads, kids have good schools, my belly is full with affordable food, no health care complaints, catching lots of fish, hunting lots of deer....but then again I'm easy to please.

You in BC? Last time I checked, every thing from camping to Medicare to hydro and ferries blah blah blah was more expensive under the current government.

You in BC? Last time I checked, every thing from camping to Medicare to hydro and ferries blah blah blah was more expensive under the current government.
I've got no complaints. Everything cost money, inflation is unstoppable and inevitable. As long as my family is healthy, full, clothed and I've got money left over for a couple of hobbies, what more could I want ? I leave the bitching to the vocal minority.

I enjoy lots of things about this government. Living kinda fat for the last little while. Drive on good roads, kids have good schools, my belly is full with affordable food, no health care complaints, catching lots of fish, hunting lots of deer....but then again I'm easy to please.
Translink has wasted massive amounts of tax payers dollars, now they want to raise taxes again so they can waste even more of our monies. B.C Ferries costs spiralling out of control, massive cutbacks to coastal communities who rely on the Ferry system for transportation and tourism dollars. Cutting back on school board budgets for funding our kids schools. Camping fees going up everywhere in the province. Mount Polley mine disaster under this governments watch to name a few "good things"...

Like I said I don't need to *****. I worry about other stuff. You go ahead and dwell on taxes maybe they'll go away.

Lol. I wish I had a spare pair for ya. I appreciate people holding the government accountable, I'm just not good at it.

great news, I think it's an extra $3.0 million to play with. Now if only they would spend some money on something other then stuffing lakes full of "catchables".

Those catchables if managed properly can grow big and are fun to catch. Not all of them get whacked and many survive two or three winters.

The FFSBC do a great job, in fact, this extra money is a result of their efforts over the years since they took over the stocking program from the Provincial government.

What else would folks like to see done?

Great news for sure. I would like to see the FFSBC increase the " catchable" weight from 230 gr. to maybe 500 gr. even if that means fewer fish stocked per lake.

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to provide more clarity around the recent news that the Society will be receiving the remaining 30% of licence revenues.

First, there are no plans to stock more lakes. In fact, in partnership with Ministry fisheries biologists we have been stocking fewer lakes over the past 5-8 years. Some of the lakes that were historically stocked did not make any sense from both a biological and a geographical perspective. We have been investing resources to enable us to make stocked lake fisheries better.

The new funding is going to be used for a variety of initiatives. These initiatives will be focused on both wild and stocked fisheries as the new funding is allowing FFSBC to expand its investments beyond stocked fisheries. The most prominent initiative is to fund the three Provincial technical committees. Currently there is a small lakes, large lakes, and a rivers committee that helps guide fisheries management decisions in the Province. The committee membership is made up of representatives from each regional office, the Victoria F&W office, and FFSBC biologists. The rivers and large lakes committees have not been receiving the resources required to implement good fisheries projects. These committees (mainly staffed by Ministry biologists) will now have significant resources to invest in stock assessment, angler access initiatives, habitat restoration and other projects that will be beneficial to BC freshwater fisheries.

The funding is also going to be used to increase compliance and enforcement through a partnership with the COS Service. In addition, there are a number of other initiatives we are going to be working on with our Ministry partners that will be beneficial to BC's Freshwater Fisheries resource and its stakeholders.

I hope this helps clear up any confusion.

Sincerely,

Adrian Clarke
Vice President, Science
Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC

Thank you for your post Adrian and I hope you accomplish what you intend to do. We like results.........just sayin' lol :D.

Thanks again.

Cheers,
John

Good news about a fishery for a change.
Thank you for the recap Adrian.

Any plans being mooted about to enhance steelhead funding?

Great news, the extra money should help fund some important projects. Increasing compliance will be a welcome outcome from the funding for sure.

Back