10 hp restriction on the Stamp River

Pastafarian

There is a 10 hp engine restriction on the Stamp river that is currently being ignored by all jet powered guide boats!!

The Vessel Operation Restriction Regulations; Section 4; Subsection 2(4); Item 8.

I fish the Stamp regularly and I witness all of these local guide boats running up and down the river with 60 to 140hp outboard jet engines.

What the hell is going on here?

This is a regulation for a reason, why isn't it being enforced?

Let's talk about our declining salmon population for a minute.
There are many salmon redds in the upper stamp river and in order for these fish to reproduce effectively they need to spend time (comfortably) in the redds. Every time a jet boat blasts over top of them it disrupts both the eggs in the gravel and spooks the fish off the redds!

Let's talk about respect for other anglers.
Countless times I've been fishing the river bank in peace and quiet only to have my fish spooked and experience ruined. What happened? A jet boat blasted by me doing mach chicken!!

End of rant.

Solution:
1. Regulations are enforced!
2. Guides operate their businesses from drift boats without engines.

Thanks for reading.

Good luck to all the awesome fishermen on this site!

Screenshot_20181122-085200_Drive.jpg Screenshot_20181122-085200_Drive.jpg

Have you contacted Transport Canada with your concerns?

Yes; I've contacted TC, Fisheries and the RCMP marine unit over this matter. None of these agencies want to take responsibility for enforcing this regulation. I am very disappointed with the lack of action from all three of these agencies.
That's why I've chosen to post a thread.
More people need to know about this regulation and then maybe enough of us can get the attention of the powers that be.

Were you born yesterday?

There's tonnes of local politics behind this it's been chewed to death here over the ages and for many reasons nothing has changed.

I strongly urge you to give it and your blood pressure a rest.

Were you born yesterday?

There's tonnes of local politics behind this it's been chewed to death here over the ages and for many reasons nothing has changed.

I strongly urge you to give it and your blood pressure a rest.

So because you've rolled over on this one, (or have seen people fail), you feel that everyone should give up?

I was not born yesterday and I likely won't fix this by tomorrow, BUT I don't see the harm in putting this information out there.

Local politics are definitely playing a strong roll in this, I'll agree to that.
However, why not try for change and see if maybe the regulations could be enforced?

I don't think that's too much to ask for from either the government or the people who fish the Stamp.

There is a 10 hp engine restriction on the Stamp river that is currently being ignored by all jet powered guide boats!!

The Vessel Operation Restriction Regulations; Section 4; Subsection 2(4); Item 8.

I fish the Stamp regularly and I witness all of these local guide boats running up and down the river with 60 to 140hp outboard jet engines.

What the hell is going on here?

This is a regulation for a reason, why isn't it being enforced?

Let's talk about our declining salmon population for a minute.
There are many salmon redds in the upper stamp river and in order for these fish to reproduce effectively they need to spend time (comfortably) in the redds. Every time a jet boat blasts over top of them it disrupts both the eggs in the gravel and spooks the fish off the redds!

Let's talk about respect for other anglers.
Countless times I've been fishing the river bank in peace and quiet only to have my fish spooked and experience ruined. What happened? A jet boat blasted by me doing mach chicken!!

End of rant.

Solution:
1. Regulations are enforced!
2. Guides operate their businesses from drift boats without engines.

Thanks for reading.

Good luck to all the awesome fishermen on this site!

View attachment 41544 View attachment 41544
To the best of my knowledge licensed guide boats are allowed to exceed this 10hp limit. Why don't you call David Murphy, I'm sure he would be willing to talk to you about it.

I'm yawning cause this had been going on over the last decade or so.
Maybe you should take your concerns up with the people at the boat launch or contacting the proper authorities rather than bitching about it on the internet.

Personally I love it when the jets rip by...most of the time the fish turn off after they go by. On a hatchery enhanced river like the stamp I have zero issue with the jets. Is this a jealousy thing?
If there truly is a conservation concern there are other issues you should be addressing

I'm yawning cause this had been going on over the last decade or so.
Maybe you should take your concerns up with the people at the boat launch or contacting the proper authorities rather than bitching about it on the internet.

Personally I love it when the jets rip by...most of the time the fish turn off after they go by. On a hatchery enhanced river like the stamp I have zero issue with the jets. Is this a jealousy thing?
If there truly is a conservation concern there are other issues you should be addressing

Oh man whitebuck, you make me laugh
What time do you go onstage for your standup routine?

Courtney is that you??;)

Now Chaser keep your Tim Horton cups in the boat and don't drive Courtney over the edge. Pasta this has been discussed till we've beaten and buried the Horse !! Now again i would like to see a Newbie section or information thread for newbies who can search old topics.. It gets really old going over the same crap and again why old members get tired of this. I,m trying to be nice here but go to Fish-bc and ask your question.

Who benefits from jet boats in the Stamp? Almost no one!
So let me ask this; why is there so much indirect support for them?
Indirect support in this case is where everyone gives up caring about an issue and the rules continue to get broken.
By not supporting the RIGHT thing to do, many people seem to be indirectly supporting the handful of rule breakers that are negatively impacting the Stamp river.
All I am looking for is a discussion on why this continues to been overlooked.
Thanks for everyone's input.
PF

Pastafarian,How long have you been fishing the Stamp? Any chance you are Spey fishing ?

Last edited:
Back