10 foot jet boat

Time

Check out the 10 foot jet boat shown here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKPBc9aH2bE

Power is jet ski motor and pump although some go bigger, think a 4 cylinder Nissan or similar.

Looks like a blast.
Can just imagine a swarm of these on the Stamp in steelhead season. Outrage!!!

Bruce Cope is the designer so should be a good boat.

There are some up in Alaska that reportedly do 40-50 mph.

Certainly makes the little Minnkota on my trout boat look puny.

Last edited by a moderator:
i am slowly putting together on of these.. may be a five year project the way its going... very coo...

Can't be good for the rivers and its ecosystem. Imagine showing up to your spot on the river and having this asshat running back and forth. I'd lose it.

So are you saying we should ban all jet boats from all rivers?

Can't be good for the rivers and its ecosystem. Imagine showing up to your spot on the river and having this asshat running back and forth. I'd lose it.

I used to have issues with jet boats, when I was a rookie and didn't understand. But I dug in and learned about the river system that I was so passionately whining about.
Not all river systems are the same. If someone has an issue with jet boats in a particular river system, they should do the same.
My experience on the Stamp/Somas system with jet boats has actually been quite pleasant. Most all the guides are very courteous and respectful to beach fishers.
Although, there is one knob with a new-ish guide outfit on the river that has zero regard for anyone. I'm sure there will be vids of the a__hole posted on YouTube soon.

Most rivers have a horse power limit of 10 hp or something similar. If you're a licensed guide and use the system as sustinance (earn a living) you are exempt from the horse power limit.

Some of you may remember a post that was coined "The River Rant". I wrote it many years ago. The following video is a little comic relief I made "in jest" for my buddies who guide on this system.
Enjoy.

WARNING! Extreme vulgar language.

http://youtu.be/5NJWjXOCukA

One concern about jetboats brought to my attention recently is the effect the wake has on emigrating juvenile salmonids that use the shoreline of the river. The wake, particularly from the larger boats, has been shown to 'beach' them, pushing them up on shore and out of the water. I had never thought about that, just thought I'd pass it on.

One concern about jetboats brought to my attention recently is the effect the wake has on emigrating juvenile salmonids that use the shoreline of the river. The wake, particularly from the larger boats, has been shown to 'beach' them, pushing them up on shore and out of the water. I had never thought about that, just thought I'd pass it on.

Hey Seagirt. I'm not sure where you heard that, in fact, I haven't. Maybe dig in and source the info that you stated and judge the legitimacy of it. I would like to see a video or a report that states such.
The guides aren't ripping and down the river all day. They'll shoot up or down to a spot and anchor usually. More often than not, they just putt around particularly when passing other anglers. They don't want to disrespect anyone. Especially ...the river that feeds their family.

I used to have issues with jet boats, when I was a rookie and didn't understand. But I dug in and learned about the river system that I was so passionately whining about.
Not all river systems are the same. If someone has an issue with jet boats in a particular river system, they should do the same.
My experience on the Stamp/Somas system with jet boats has actually been quite pleasant. Most all the guides are very courteous and respectful to beach fishers.
Although, there is one knob with a new-ish guide outfit on the river that has zero regard for anyone. I'm sure there will be vids of the a__hole posted on YouTube soon.

Most rivers have a horse power limit of 10 hp or something similar. If you're a licensed guide and use the system as sustinance (earn a living) you are exempt from the horse power limit.

Some of you may remember a post that was coined "The River Rant". I wrote it many years ago. The following video is a little comic relief I made "in jest" for my buddies who guide on this system.
Enjoy.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH hilarious!

Hey Seagirt. I'm not sure where you heard that, in fact, I haven't. Maybe dig in and source the info that you stated and judge the legitimacy of it. I would like to see a video or a report that states such.
The guides aren't ripping and down the river all day. They'll shoot up or down to a spot and anchor usually. More often than not, they just putt around particularly when passing other anglers. They don't want to disrespect anyone. Especially ...the river that feeds their family.

I'm not sure it has been published but if I come across something I'll post it. I heard it while on a jetboat from a fisheries biologist in the interior. Like you said, each river is different. The the impact from jet boat wake would vary depending on run timing, emigration characteristics, river morphology, etc... I haven't seen a juvenile fish flopping around on the sand after being pushed up by wake, but the biologist has first hand accounts. I've seen the fish migrating near shore so I don't doubt that there is legitimacy to this idea. I have no doubt that most jet boat users are considerate towards both the environment and other anglers, I was just passing along info I thought was interesting.

They blast eggs out of the gravel during spawning season and scatter fish off redds. Well documented in Alaska and New Zealand --- there are river closures during spawning season.

That thing had ZERO business being on a river that small. Seeing that vid brought to mind one of my favorite quotes from Mark Twain:

......."Man is the only animal that blushes. Or needs to......."

Last edited by a moderator:

Enjoy.

haha, Funny video. And thanks for your perspective on jet boats and rivers. I`m sure most out there are respectful of the beach fishers, and the river. That video was maybe pushing things to showcase what the boat is capable of. I just can`t imagine it being very good if there were spawning fish or eggs in the gravel while ripping it up in the jet boat. I would hope this video was shot on a section of river and at a time when minimal fish were harmed. And we all know wakes and shoreline down mix well, so what does the super jet blasting out the back do to shorelines and it inhabitants?

Looks like lots of fun though. I've owned a seadoo, and would have loved to blast up and down tight river systems like this. Never did cause those rocks would destroy my impeller and hull. Also ripped up plenty of dirt, rocks and sand for years of riding dirt bikes. I guess I'm a little older now with different passions (fishing) and concerns (the fish).

They blast eggs out of the gravel during spawning season and scatter fish off redds. Well documented in Alaska and New Zealand --- there are river closures during spawning season.

That thing had ZERO business being on a river that small. Seeing that vid brought to mind one of my favorite quotes from Mark Twain:

......."Man is the only animal that blushes. Or needs to......."

lol, ya good old Mark Twain. I will counter with “Any fool can know. The point is to understand.” Albert Einstein
Not trying to start a pissing contest here. I wasn't talking about some idiot in a river rocket. I was talking about ...guides. Real guides. If anyone goes tearing up a river I'm sure anyone could do damage. The thing is, when a person relies on a system for a living (and rec), not only do they respect it, they also protect it. Know what I mean?
This isn't Alaska nor is it New Zealand. I'd like to think we have more respect for our rivers. Besides, as I stated earlier, most our rivers have a hp limit. You also need to be a licensed guide that earns a living on said waterway...... there's a hole in my bucket dear Liza, dear Liza...

OK, OK, you win---I got a hole in my bucket...

But the next time I go to church to take communion.... I'm warning you---I'll be driving my Honda T90 right up the marble steps to the altar and when waiting for the host to get flopped down on my tongue I'll be humming...

..."roe, roe, roe your boat, gently down the stream..."

Any boat design that can exceed purpose I tip my hat to. These crafts can go places where the norm are limited, in saying so they are criticized to do environmental damage. I think it is up to the operator to minimize damage in the route to venture in the extreme, collateral damage is expected especially if the waters are untouched by these specialized craft............ like this fully armored machine

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/4127522348.html

Any time some area is opened to humans, some kind of damage is the result. We have to learn how to minimize the damage.

Back