Bottom Paint....does it reduce the value of a boat?

Dave S

I have a boat that has never had the bottom painted. I was told by the guy at Spectrum that he thinks bottom paint increases the value of the boat. I feel the opposite. I think that a boat with bottom paint implies that it has seen lots of time in the water on moorage. And it hides any possible hull repairs. I also see it as something that needs more maintenance. And not easy maintenance, as diy bottom painting seems like quite the project.

Thoughts?

On my 2470 Pursuit, it came with 8-10 coats of bottom paint on it, and was extremely "scabby" where some sections were falling off because it was so thick. Anyway, being the toxic stuff bottom paint is, in the Seattle area one doesn't just grind away and remove, but grind with vacuum in a tent, and $2000 later, I had a ground off bottom with 2 coats of good bottom paint. After the work was done my top end speed improved 3-4 mph, and the boat glides through the water very nicely, without drag. As I said before, it was scabby which adversely affected performance.

So... if you are a trailer guy, yes any bottom paint reduces value to boat. If there are many layers, the bottom paint is a liability in cost and performance. If you are an in-water guy, then a well prepared bottom job that has not built up to many coats is a good thing and adds value.

good luck. DAJ

Dave,

If you trailer and never leave your boat in the
water more than a week at a time, don't paint her bottom !
It does reduce the value.
Once you start painting, it's a semi annual event. :(

Depends IF you moor your boat and dont bottom paint it it can and will wreck the gelcoat as it will start to blister and pop . or discolor it badly as well, I be more concerned of the latter. IF you do bottom paint you REALLY have to follow directions sand .prime.paint putting on 2 coats is MORE than enough and you may have to reapply every 2nd year depending on how it "wears" And if they are trying to hide something on the hull dont worry YOU will see it under inspection as cracks and repairs you can see if you know what to look for.....

Good luck Wolf

I have a boat that has never had the bottom painted. I was told by the guy at Spectrum that he thinks bottom paint increases the value of the boat. I feel the opposite. I think that a boat with bottom paint implies that it has seen lots of time in the water on moorage. And it hides any possible hull repairs. I also see it as something that needs more maintenance. And not easy maintenance, as diy bottom painting seems like quite the project.

Thoughts?
A good coat of the right bottom paint will increase the value, even for fresh water use. A bad bottom paint will decrease the value by the amount of the cost to repaint.

About the only thing bottom paint means is it was moored in the water. It really won't "hide" anything!

DIY bottom painting can be both very easy and very hard, depending on the type of paint used "hard" or "soft" and if "hard" it can be both time consuming and/or costly. If it is a multi-season ablative paint, it is really quite easy to maintain - simply add a coat as needed, it wears off!

On my 2470 Pursuit, it came with 8-10 coats of bottom paint on it, and was extremely "scabby" where some sections were falling off because it was so thick. Anyway, being the toxic stuff bottom paint is, in the Seattle area one doesn't just grind away and remove, but grind with vacuum in a tent, and $2000 later, I had a ground off bottom with 2 coats of good bottom paint. After the work was done my top end speed improved 3-4 mph, and the boat glides through the water very nicely, without drag. As I said before, it was scabby which adversely affected performance.

So... if you are a trailer guy, yes any bottom paint reduces value to boat. If there are many layers, the bottom paint is a liability in cost and performance. If you are an in-water guy, then a well prepared bottom job that has not built up to many coats is a good thing and adds value.

good luck. DAJ

That would be a "hard" bottom paint you had to take off and that should not have been put on the boat to start with, IMHO. Since you have a "power" boat, you need to remove the "hard" paint then put on at least two coats of ablative paint. Make the first coat a different color as a "marker" coat than your finish coat. That way a year from now when you haul you can see if the outer coat is wearing away enough to require a re-coat. Buy multi-season ablative paint. With multi-season paint you can haul and launch as much as you want and the paint will stay active.

Dave,

If you trailer and never leave your boat in the
water more than a week at a time, don't paint her bottom !

Once you start painting, it's a semi annual event.

To me, as I always moor if it was a "good" coat of ablative paint it increase by the cost to paint, it would not decrease the value; however if it was "hard" paint, I certainly would subtract the cost of removing and replacing with ablative.

Depends IF you moor your boat and dont bottom paint it it can and will wreck the gelcoat as it will start to blister and pop . or discolor it badly as well, I be more concerned of the latter. IF you do bottom paint you REALLY have to follow directions sand .prime.paint putting on 2 coats is MORE than enough and you may have to reapply every 2nd year depending on how it "wears" And if they are trying to hide something on the hull dont worry YOU will see it under inspection as cracks and repairs you can see if you know what to look for.....

Good luck Wolf
X2... even in "freshwater"
A good multi-season ablative paint will last several seasons, depending on use.

Just my 2 cents!

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was showing my boat and damage to the guy at Jenkins, he suggested I slap on some bottom paint after the repair. He said he thinks bottom paint increases value of a boat. I wasn't convinced and explained that I never leave the boat in the water more than a week at a time. And that maybe happens every second year. I still think bottom paint means more maintenance and if the boat isn't moored, then no need for it imo. Maybe part of his persuasion was to hide gelcoat color change that he said will probably be visable to me. I am hoping he has some success with color matching the gelcoat, but I have been told to expect some change.

My Seasport is 21 years old, gets moored every summer from late may until late October and never painted the bottom. It gets pulled onto the trailer every 30 days during the moored times to bleach and rinse the hull, change the kicker oil, grease engines and brush of anode scale. Then back in the water for another 30 days. Yes you will develop a yellow stain over time from the water line down. It can be easily removed anytime you want to by using a caustic solution, then polish and apply a good wax. I have decided not to worry about the yellow stain as I know I can get rid of it anytime I want. I will worry about it when and if I decide to sell it and remove it as part of the detailing prior to listing it for sale.

Not sure why you'd want paint if you have a nice clean hull. The soft paint is good but if your boats on a trailer every time you or anything else brushes up against it you'll get paint transfer.

When I was showing my boat and damage to the guy at Jenkins, he suggested I slap on some bottom paint after the repair. He said he thinks bottom paint increases value of a boat. I wasn't convinced and explained that I never leave the boat in the water more than a week at a time. And that maybe happens every second year. I still think bottom paint means more maintenance and if the boat isn't moored, then no need for it imo. Maybe part of his persuasion was to hide gelcoat color change that he said will probably be visable to me. I am hoping he has some success with color matching the gelcoat, but I have been told to expect some change.

Yep I agree, it certainly sounds - YOU have no need. Bottom paint would only increase the value, if there is the need.

Yep agree, again. Don't care what anyone tries to suggest - that paint is expensive and the cost of that paint certainly does create an ongoing maintenance cost.

I have seen lots of repairs where the gelcoat didn't match. If the guy at Jenkins repairing the damage is telling you upfront to bottom paint due to not being able to match the current color - My advice, find another repairman who can. I have had several repairs done both above and below the waterline and would NEVER expect a good fiberglass man to tell me that.

When buying a boat I'd alway wonder what was covered up by paint..
I would rather see any repairs and ask questions rather than find out later

I agree with Charlie. Good work is in the details and the finishing/cosmetic work is just as important as the structural repairs. I don't want to see the repair when its done and I've paid my money....just becomes a reminder of the damage done every time I see it.

Any suggestions on the best way to remove bottom paint from an aluminum hull. I don't moor my boat so don't see the need for it and when it gets scratched up it makes the boat look roughed up.

Just an idea...heat gun?

I'm going to be putting the boat in a marina for a couple of months to try that out and do some repairs on a the trailer. From this thread, it looks like I shouldn't worry about paint, stick with the gel coat and give it a good wash/wax every week or two. A couple questions (1) any good reference sites for clearning and wax products and process (i.e. how do you clean if it's on a trailer, jack it up?); and (2) I have a couple of chips in the gel coat above the water line, any repair tips/resources/"guys or shops who do that" you'd recommend? Thanks.

Back