Search results

1. B

What’s the setup for flylining livies?

You could use your DR to get the lives down to the zone you want fish and then pull the fly line off your clip. Your sinking line would keep it in the zone. My experience with lives is the bite is a slack line bite, so keeping up to the fish on the bite might be a challenge with a fly rod...
  2. B

2024 Halibut Fisheries Notice

Very informative. Thank you for all the hard work you folks put in. I appreciate it.
  3. B

Coho madness

Great video. Your buddy with the lucky shirt is awesome. These coho are cutting into beer time lol. Definitely try the bucktail set up next summer.
  4. B

Salmon Fishing on my Seadoo

Yep just need to bump up your speed and use a keel weight with a chain swivel. Look for kelp beds holding bait and troll past fast and hang on.
  5. B

Salmon Fishing on my Seadoo

Cool video. Have you tried bucktailing in your jet wash with a 1”to 2” spoon and about 5/8oz? With the amount of action you are getting you would catch the coho on the surface. That way you can get rid of the heavy weight.
  6. B

New Years Celebrations

Worked. 👎
  7. B

Advice installing aft steering station

I installed the flush mount and with in two years the aluminum pump shaft corroded out at the quad ring due to moisture between the gunwale and the pump. I changed the shaft out with stainless material and haven’t had any issues since (18 years). The top mount would prevents this or see if sea...
  8. B

Salmon Netting Technique

Ya I suppose 350+ lbs leaning over the side of a small runabout is a bad combo. Fortunately I have a big enough boat that two people can stand at the gunwale with no issues. As mentioned above the most important part is that the rod holder doesn’t loose sight of the fish when netting.
  9. B

Salmon Netting Technique

Agreed x3
  10. B

TRUCKS BOATS AND HELICOPTERS: PART V

Gaia is a great app. My wife is an ultra runner, her and her gang use it pretty much exclusively because of topo/elevation option. Combining Gmaps and Gaia works great to navigate around Van island.
  11. B

TRUCKS BOATS AND HELICOPTERS: PART V

Thanks for bringing us along with you on your adventures Sharphooks. It’s always a pleasure reading your stories. I haven’t been to either area but Hiada Gwaii really interests me. Did you need 4x4 for the logging rds or could you get away with 2x4 sprinter van? Agreed a chain saw is a must.
  12. B

Lucky Lager

Gatorade and vodka was a good rehydration drink after a tough game against the Piggies. At least that’s what we told our selves. Sorry a little off topic. Back to Lucky.
  13. B

Lucky Lager

In the late 90s we took my buddy on a stag to the Thompson river on a rafting trip. We stopped in at Hope for some beer all Lucky cans. The guy at the till laughs you must be from North van island “yep”. I would take Lucky all day long over some of the IPAs that are coming out these days. I...
  14. B

Yamaha vs Suzuki

Thanks for the insight folks. I’ve been reading some forums from the states so it nice to get a more local perspective. Agreed dealer support is very important. I spoke with one of my local dealers, he mentioned that the newer outboards are houring out at 2000-2500 hrs where as the older...
  15. B

Yamaha vs Suzuki

Thx Kaelc, Wondering if anyone has any history on mechanical issues between the two manufacturers.
  16. B

Yamaha vs Suzuki

Hello All, I’m looking for opinions on used Yamaha vs Suzuki outboard 225hp to 300hp in 800hr range 2012 and newer. I owned a 2005 f225 Yamaha bought new which was a great motor until the midsection corroded out at 1550 hrs so going to stay away from that vintage of motor. Any advise or...
  17. B

Heat Pump Questions

I prefer the caveman style. 🤣
  18. B

Light gear for trolling for coho

This is my favourite way too. Buck tail on the edge of kelp bed that’s holding bait. Small 2” spoon 30-40 feet out the back troll fast and hang onto to your fly rod. Awesome
  19. B

Halibut In Desolation Sound?

Fish Lewis Lewis channel on the ebb tide. Troll in the middle of the channel Drop your gear to the bottoms about 200.once you get to teakrane arm the bottom drops away to 600/700 feet. Turn and troll north. Just tack back and forth on the 200 ft plateau Should be chinook and the odd halibut
  20. B

LAPEROUSE. PART VII. Laperouse

Another great read SH thank you.
Back