Search results

1. J

Van island outdoor show

Anyone else checking this out this weekend? Did anyone here go last year? Good show? https://www.homeshowtime.com/vi-outdoor-adventure-motor-show/
  2. J

Espar heater won’t run

Diesel heater won’t fire. The controller is getting power, tank is full, exhaust is clear, wiring and fuel line are in good shape. The heater was last used the end of October and ran perfectly, but I’m now reading I should have fired it up at least once a month. Any help for...
  3. J

Drilling into I-beam for stern tie-downs.

I don’t like the way my transom tie straps sit, they’re right up against the trim tabs on both sides and between the transducer and trim on one side. I’m thinking of drilling into the I-beam to move the tie down on the trailer, changing the angle. Is this a stupid idea? I’m mostly concerned...
  4. J

Double roller bow stop

Modifying the trailer for a better fit. Anyone able to help with where I’d locate a double roller bow stop, close to Nanaimo? Mid island trailer does not have them. Thanks in advance
  5. J

ISO Yamaha tilt cylinder wrench

Need to replace a tilt cylinder seal on a 2008 F150. Any chance anyone has this very specific spanner wrench head? Thanks
  6. J

Do you fill your fuel tank during storage?

Do you keep your fuel tank full over the winter to prevent/minimize condensation buildup or are you just relying on fuel stabilizer?
  7. J

Side bunks

My launch sucks (no dock, ramp is perpendicular to current) so I’m looking for side bunks to help with loading. I’ve only found cabelas 5’ bunks, but I don’t they’re going to be big/high enough. Any ideas for (or where to find) some bigger bunks? Boat is 24’, podded so approximately 28’ with...
  8. J

Trailer repair Nanaimo

Looking for trailer repair (specifically brakes) recommendations in Nanaimo. Thanks!
  9. J

Macerator pumps

Went down to the (new to me) boat today to find the fish lockers full of water. It rained pretty good the other day, so no surprise there. I have macerator pumps to empty the lockers, and found out tonight they don’t pump. They worked fine 3 weeks ago before I dumped the boat in the water. I...
  10. J

WTB trophy 2359

Time for a bigger boat. Looking for good condition mid 2000’s trophy 2359. PM if you’re thinking of selling. Thanks in advance
  11. J

Trophy 2359

Not sure if this is the right thread for this or not, or even a reasonable ask. I’m looking at a trophy 2359 out of the states, and before I head down to check it over, we’d like to make sure that boat will fit our current needs/wants as a family boat. (we’re assuming it does based on online...
  12. J

What do you use for current tables?

So it seems navionics has pulled the current schedule from Gabriola and porlier pass, which to me, is incredibly annoying as I use that feature more then anything. What do you all use for current tables in this area? Thanks in advance
  13. J

Bottom painting

New to Nanaimo area, any recommendations on where to get boat bottom painted? thanks!
  14. J

Cleaning aluminium boat

Green horn here, first year with a boat in the ocean. It’s probably (over)due to pull it out of the water and give it a scrub amd a wash. Anyone have any recommendation for cleaners to use on aluminum? Or would just pressure washing do it? It’s been in the water for a couple months. thanks...
  15. J

Best Smoker for temperature control

Yes...another smoker thread. Ive recently retired an old electric smoker (Great north I think it was). It was great, except in the winter time, where it would never get hot enough. Ive read nothing but bad reviews for temperature control with propane smokers (all saying they get too hot and...
  16. J

Sooke river egging

HI all, Recently moved to the island. This time of year I would usually start fishing for bulls and Rainbows on the squamish system, egging behind spawning salmon. Just wondering if this fishery exists on the sooke river? Also, hows the chum fishing on the sooke?, thats also usually a good...
  17. J

Vic/Sooke charter for sept/Oct

Hi all, Im new to the area and looking for a charter for mid/late sept. I have friends visiting mid sept that would like to fish, and my old man will be in town to help with some house renos the end of sept/early oct. Will there still be coho around at that point? Whats the hali fishing like...
  18. J

South island go to gear...

So my family and I are moving to the island this weekend, so I need to start putting my own kit together. What are your go to flashers, spoons, hootchies, jigging set ups for the victoria/sooke area? Thanks in advance
  19. J

Portage inlet at low tide

Hi, Slightly off topic...But Im thinking of renting a place at the head of portage inlet in Vic., and was wondering what our waterfront is going to look like at low tide? Does the tide run right out so it'll be just mud, or would it be passable with say a kayak at low tide? Anyone here...
  20. J

Smoked Halibut/Ling

I did a search and couldn't find anything here...Has anyone tried smoking Hali or ling before? Im quite pleased with my smoked salmon, and have a fair bit of white meat, so was thinking of trying something new. If so, how'd it turn out? Would you do it again? Any recipes you care to share...
Back