Search results

1. VanIsle10

Help set me up for boat camping success

We just got back from 2 nights of boat camping on Hornby. We tied up at Fords Cove as opposed to anchoring in Tribune, it was blowing from the south all weekend and there is no real protection in Tribune from that, we also had our mountain bikes so offloading them at dock is much preferred. We...
  2. VanIsle10

Garmin Steadycast Heading Sensor

We have one on our boat for radar overlay and it works well. The mounting location and setup calibration are important for accuracy.
  3. VanIsle10

Boats on Used Victoria and Other Areas

Podded with twins https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1404256120321886/?mibextid=6ojiHh
  4. VanIsle10

VHS Antena & Mount

Hi Derby, I’ll take this. I can pm you about arranging a pick up.
  5. VanIsle10

Rod storage ideas in cuddy

Got these off of Amazon and have been happy with them installed in the cuddy. https://www.dubrofishing.com/products/rod-holders?variant=20443719173
  6. VanIsle10

What Did You Do To Your Boat This Week?

I think the transoms were XL plywood until about 2002, then they switched to composite in 2003. The stringers have always been composite I believe.
  7. VanIsle10

Twins or single outboard

Went through a similar conundrum a couple years ago, opted for twin Suzuki 140’s and couldn’t be happier with the decision. The up front cost was not much different, the maintenance cost has been similar to previous boats with a main and kicker and the fuel burn is still very economical. The...
  8. VanIsle10

Mono Leaders Vs Florocarbon Leaders

I use braid from my Hali reels which is usually 80 or 100lb test and I find the abrasion reactance at that pound test to be good.
  9. VanIsle10

Mono Leaders Vs Florocarbon Leaders

I’ve been tying my bait rigs with braided line to the stinger hook for a number of years after breaking off numerous stinger hooks. The stinger always seemed to break in the net after landing fish and I was constantly swapping leaders. This methods is more durable for me and gets the gear back...
  10. VanIsle10

Halibut/ground fish rod/reel sets SOLD

Are you making it as far as the island early August ? If so I’d be interested in them.
  11. VanIsle10

2013 Suzuki DF140

If you have some water in your racor there could be water in the small fuel filter on the engine causing the alarm to go off.
  12. VanIsle10

Engines,props, and wide open throttle

Another reason or advantage for propping twin engine setups near the high end of the recommended range is to get better single engine performance if you ever need to run back in on one engine. You will have a better chance of planing on one motor if you can spin more rpm vs lugging it.
  13. VanIsle10

My Last Boat Build

Beauty boat! I did some guiding out of a bridgeview 18cc with a merc 90. Most of the time the boats were running WOT or trolling, the boats didn’t have an rpm gauge. I can’t recall any issues in fleet over multiple years of use. As mentioned it won’t be the most economical but don’t think you...
  14. VanIsle10

How many of us were or are commercial fisherman

Dug up a few photos of the trollers @Forbsey10
  15. VanIsle10

Multi-function display advice

The shop did the initial set up however I was getting incorrect fuel data, after some investigation I found they plugged the fuel tank sender into the “tank 2” input on the gauge. With the twin set up you can have up to 4 fuel tanks set up, my boat only has 1 tank so after swapping over the fuel...
  16. VanIsle10

My Suzuki smg 4 gauges are connected to the fuel sender from the tank so it displays the fuel level based on what the fuel level is at any given time determined from the sender. The fuel on the garmin is set on an amount that I typed in( ie. I set the amount of gallons/ litres on board and it...
  17. VanIsle10

Repowered last spring with twin Suzuki’s with mechanical controls. Went with 2 of the the newer Suzuki multifunction SMG4 gauges that replaced all the mech gauges. These gauges have nmea 2k ports that work with my Garmin electronics, allowing engine and fuel data to be displayed on the Garmin...
  18. VanIsle10

Boat Insurance and Navigational Limits

Thanks for all the info, I will try talking with them again and see what happens.
Back