Search results

1. cj6530

2024 Winter Harbour Reports

I will be up there for a week mid July. Third year in a row.
  2. cj6530

Dropping another persons fish off at processor

I spent 5 days fishing North island earlier in July. My first day salmon spent 5 days in the cooler and I didn’t see any issues with quality. I bonk, bleed, gut on the boat and then on ice. At the end of the day I stacked the fish belly up layered with salt flake ice in a separate cooler in...
  3. cj6530

Scotty 1106 Running Away

Spring under the handle.
  4. cj6530

Spreader bar Y/N

I have never used an in-line flasher or scent chamber...........can you post a pic of that set up?
  5. cj6530

Right handed fishing reels

You might be over thinking all of this. I bet on average my drags are set around 4-5 lb for salmon. For Albacore tuna.....I set drags around 10lb. Drags should be set around 25%-30% or so of rod rating. Also, do yourself a favor and learn to fish a conventional reel right handed. It will...
  6. cj6530

I agree most resorts are using 50# braid....just not hollow core. 50# hollow core will be awful tricky to re-splice vs 80lb or above. Not sure you would be able to do it on a rocking boat. I use 50lb solid braid on my salmon and bottom fish reels and 80lb hollow core on a few of my Albacore...
  7. cj6530

Modern braid has made level wind reels kinda obsolete. Level wind mechanisms used to be standard because thicker diameter old school mono required a wide spool to hold enough line capacity. Wide spools required the level wind to lay the mono nice and even on the spool. The wide spools also...
  8. cj6530

What's your favour line when trolling for salmon?

Main line is 50lb solid core braid. Lower than 50# braid is a pain as it digs into the spool and can cut your fingers pretty bad. Leader is 50ft of 30lb mono. I change the leader out every couple of trips. My current leader brand is Momoi Diamond in clear. Very versatile set up. Use the...
  9. cj6530

Kayak Trolling on Kootenay Lake?

I have a home on the west arm. Trolling from my kayak is my go to in the arm. 20 inch rainbows all day long trolling small muddler minnow patterns on sink tip fly line. Mid June through mid July is prime time.
  10. cj6530

anyone use Okuma Solterra SLX-20

You have the SLX 20II (2 speed).....not the one speed model that you have linked for a description.
  11. cj6530

Looking for Fishfinder Recommendations

For charting/mapping/bottom contour.......use your smartphone and the 5 dollar Marine Navionics App. The bottom Contour functionality for fishing is better on that than anything from Garmin or Raymarine. In short....I use my iPhone for navigation and bottom contour and my Sounder/Chartplotter...
  12. cj6530

Hoochie leader Lengths

I general target deep water Chinook out of Westport WA. Overall length 37 inches from the top of the leader to the end of the hook. Troll speed at least 2.5 using using a size 5 or 6 single hook.
  13. cj6530

Help with new boat

I know a few dudes who spent a lot of money on family rigs that will fish...and then found out the family wasn't so interested on spending a lot of time on the boat. In a 28ft boat I would be thinking maximum dance floor with a serviceable galley and sleeping capacity. Everything is a...
  14. cj6530

Anybody use crimps for Salmon leaders?

With all that rigging you might want to consider using spiral wrap as leader keepers instead of twist ties. Works way better. http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23688&catid=814
  15. cj6530

Halibut/lingcod reel

The Shimano Torium reels all have a 6.2 gear ratio. Makes a great butterfly jig or live bait reel.....but not sure it would be my go to halibut reel. I would would want something 5.o or less for a gear ratio.
  16. cj6530

Anybody use crimps for Salmon leaders?

I crimp on any trolling rig when using Fluoro 50lb and over. Getting a good cinch on a knot with heavy stiff fluoro isn't easy. Going commercial style with a big size 5 or 6 single Mustad 95170 hook and 37 inches of stiff 60lb fluoro trolled fast has been a Hoochie game changer for me...
  17. cj6530

Tuna fishing out of Westport WA questions?

Charters starting catching late June last year https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/tuna-on-bait-at-30-miles.629751/
  18. cj6530

Halibut/lingcod reel

I store mine completely backed off with the clicker on. Keep the drag on though during the end day fresh water hose down....then back them off. I tie a down rigger ball at the end of my line to set my drags at the correct drag setting.
  19. cj6530

Halibut/lingcod reel

Also remember to fish it within it's drag capabilities (around 12lb). If you set the drag any higher the handle will start to bind crushing the pinion bearing.
Back