Search results

1. D

What type of salmon is this?

A neighbour dropped this fish off at my house and said it was a sockeye, which I am 90% sure it isn’t. It looks like a pink or chum. Any ideas?
  2. D

Advice on re-lining reels

It’s time to re-line my reels for trolling and looking for advice. I have previously just gone with a 30lb monofilament line to a clip attached to the flasher and then 40lb leader to the spoon/hoochie. Now I am reading about fluorocarbon from Seaguar and thinking of going with their STS salmon...
  3. D

Question on mounting transducer

I recently picked up a new Raymarine Axiom system and had a question on mounting the transducer. I know you’re supposed to just have the bottom of the transducer below the hull by about an 1/8 to 1/4 inch to get clean water but since my transom is angled quite a bit, when looking the back of...
  4. D

Change oil or not?

i am about to winterized my inboard motor and wanted an opinion on whether or not to change the engine and leg oil this year. Normally I always change the oil when winterizing but this year I only used the boat for about 20 hours and wondered if I don’t need to change the oil. Thoughts?
  5. D

Looking to upgrade my fish finder, any recos?

I have an old Lowrance Elite 5 on my boat and the transducer is starting to go. Plus, I’d like something a little more mordern with a larger screen. I am looking at the Raymarine Axiom 9 setup with the 3D mapping. Anyone every used it? I have heard from one person the 3D sonor is a bit sketchy...
  6. D

Mixing bottom paint types advice

My buddy is looking to repaint the bottom paint on a boat he bought in the US. The issue is the paint is from Sea Hawk called Cukote ablative and it’s only available in the States. I have heard it’s bad to mix types of bottom paints but does anyone know a brand/type we can get here that will be...
  7. D

Can anyone tell me what this creature is?

Found a bunch of them in one of my prawns traps. Never seen them before. Looks like an odd lobster or some type of prawn.
  8. D

Help with Yamaha tiller arm repair

I have a 2002 Yamaha kicker and I noticed the tiller arm was loose. Well turns out it can come out completely from ththe joint and is just be held by the wires. Looks like the threaded piece that is attached to the arm corroded and broke at the joint. Any idea on how to remove the broken piece...
  9. D

Best method/products to clean/restore vinyl seats

I typically use a magic eraser, lightly, and then apply 3m vinyl protect to my seats every couple of months but they are looking a little faded and not so vibrant white. What do you guys do/use to make your seats "new" again?
  10. D

VP XDP drive opinions

I am looking at getting a boat that has dual Volvo 5.7 OSI engines with XDP drives. have heard mixed things about these composite drives. Any thoughts? What to watch out for?
  11. D

Motor hiccups and loses electrical power

I am experiencing a weird issue where the boat runs fine for a while but sometimes when I stop and then try and go again, the boat sort of hiccups and wants to die but then goes again fine. During the hiccups all my electrical devices shut off like my fish finder. This has just started to...
  12. D

Bucktailing for Coho

Has anyone tried bucktailing with a fly for Coho? Thinking of trying it this weekend and curious about the technique. Can I just do it on a third rod in-between the rods on the riggers and at the trolling speed?
  13. D

Your favourite spoon/hootchie and flasher combo

I know this has been discussed in other threads but hoping to rehash this. I am looking to see what combos work best for you, eg. What flasher would you normally put with a "turd" hootchie or a party girl spoon. Post any combos you like.
  14. D

Type of batteries for an inboard with kicker

I am looking to replace the batteries in a new to me boat I bought last year. Current setup is two starter batteries with 650 MCA linked to a switch for controlling 1, 2 or all batteries. I don't know much about electrical systems on a boat but it appears the main inboard runs off the left...
  15. D

Fuel dripping from bottom of carb on Yamaha kicker

I have a '98 Yahama 9.9 and for some reason there is fuel dripping out the bottom of the carb when it rests at ideal and then for a bit after the motor is off. When it's in gear and higher throttle, it doesn't leak. It seems to be coming from under the bowl, where there is a pan that has a...
  16. D

Boat recommendations - fish, cruise and sleep 5

i am looking at getting a larger boat and would like recos. It needs to be able to add riggers and troll, cruise at around 20 knots (don't like going too slow) and sleep 5 (2 adults and 3 kids) for weekend camping trips. I am thinking something around 28-32'. And I am not looking to break the...
  17. D

Help! Counter on Downrigger counting too fast

i just had my lines on Scotty 1106 changed from steel to braid and now the counter reads way too much and goes up too fast. Starts at zero and goes to over 600 with only about 60 feet of line out. Any idea on how to fix this?
  18. D

Downrigger line retriever

I see a lot of boats with downriggers have a string that attaches to a plastic loop that goes around the downrigger line so it's easy to pull the line towards the boat so you can grab the quick release. I know Scotty makes this setup but I don't want to remove all my end loops on the riggers. Is...
  19. D

Where to buy Yamashita turd hootchies in LM

i went out on a fishing charter in Pender and the guy used these hootchies called turds. They worked amazingly. Does anyone know where I can them in the Lower Mainland? Preferably in the Van around.
  20. D

Issues with Yamaha 9.9 losing fuel pressure

I have a Yamaha 9.9 (t9.9exhw) which is plumbed to my main tank. When running it, the ball to pump the gas goes flat and the motor dies. If I keep pumping the ball it runs fine and if I stop, it deflates. I noticed when I took the cover off the motor, gas was dripping out from the bottom of the...
Back