Search results

1. Smiley

Race for the Blue Tuna Shoot-out-

Wow! Great read and great pics! Maximum effort to stay in the game! Congrats on the win ! Thank you for sharing your adventure!
  2. Smiley

Navionics platinum chip Vancouver Island

Sold? If not I am interested
  3. Smiley

Winter Harbour Tuna Run September 2018

Back at the dock it was smiles all around. Another run in the books! We shared stories and our perspectives on the day over some food (After-hours killer smoked octopus) and some beverages. I want to say thank you to my crew and our buddy boats for all working together and making the day...
  4. Smiley

We agreed to take a stop in behind Caines on the way into Winter Harbour. Great way to end the day of fishing.
  5. Smiley

We wrapped up our day capitalizing on four outta five hits! Even taking one off the diving board ! Most of the boats managed at least a couple fish. While its great to load the boat... it dosent always go the way you hope. I am confident in saying that it was only because of the concerted group...
  6. Smiley

There was more than sportys in the mix over the day. No big deal on a calm day with unlimited visibility. However on a foggy day or a day with weather and limited visibility its another story. I feel that unless you are equipped with radar you shouldn't really be doing these kinds of runs...
  7. Smiley

We were well past the halfway mark in the day when we had another hit on one of the port side rods. Its not hard to tell when its something other than a tuna. After a lacklustre fight we dragged a foul hooked Blue Shark up to the boat. None of the crew seemed particularly interested in managing...
  8. Smiley

Great pics inlet hunter! I guess more formal introductions over the comm on the grounds would have been beneficial. Maybe this shot?
  9. Smiley

2018 Tuna Adventures

Awesome Dave! Killer trip! Nice report!
  10. Smiley

There was some dark wet weather toward Kyuquot but the whales didn't seem to mind. We continued to work the area as conditions were ideal... Hook Up said over the comm " I don't see a reason to leave ... conditions don't get much better" Everyone was working to find the fish even a frustrated...
  11. Smiley

When you head offshore for tuna you really begin to appreciate how big the little part of the ocean that you are fishing really is! By mid day we had Whyknot, Greenhorn, Hook Up , Hot Reels Island Dreamer as well as a couple of the commies working in and out of site of us. The call from...
  12. Smiley

The day progressed and the water temp and conditions steadily improved . By this time a few other sportys were on frequency and were having some success on numbers that we fished a few years ago. We picked up and ran northwest stopping about 5 miles from Hook Ups position (Hook up is a sport...
  13. Smiley

After a decent interval without a bite we picked up and proceeded further west and even a little northwest. Finally AfterHours battle cry.... TUNA TUNA TUNA and the fight was on! It wasn't the biggest tuna but it was a tuna (redefined the word Peanut) Shortly after on the radio Whyknot called...
  14. Smiley

We had numbers from a few days ago that we agreed would be a good starting point. We headed southwest approximately 25 miles but the water temps never climbed enough for us to deploy our gear. Whyknot had taken a tack that was more westerly and broadcast the climbing temperatures he was...
  15. Smiley

It wasn't long before light started bleed the night away and as it did we approached Caines Lighthouse. We would take at look at weather and terrafin one last time before heading offshore
  16. Smiley

The morning came quickly and we took a moment to brew some coffee and our group of three boats got underway by 545am. Nothing like idling out in the pitch black to get a little adrenaline going... between the adrenaline and the coffee it didn't take long to be wide awake and feel ready for the...
  17. Smiley

We arrived in Winter Harbour and pulled up to the dock that Whyknot is stationed at for the season. After introductions and hellos we pulled out the gear and readied the boat for the early start that the morning would bring. Once we were happy with our set ups a bite to eat and a beverage were...
  18. Smiley

It always feels good to get the boat off the trailer and put the boat in its natural habitat. I have done the run from both Coal Harbour and Port Alice to Winter Harbour and would say that these waterways require an extra level of vigilance while underway at speed. There is active logging taking...
  19. Smiley

The run up to Coal Harbour was uneventful ( perfect ) and we pulled into the float plane base to drop the boats in the water to run the inlet to Winter Harbour. As a public service announcement I will say be careful pulling into the ramp area. There is a small piece of rebar projecting out of...
Back