Search results

1. cracked_ribs

BOLO: F250/350 Dually Conversion with picker, stolen from Ladysmith Marina

These are people I know a bit from Ruxton Island...they were over for a few days and came back to no freaking truck! F250 to 350 Dually conversion, with the little picker shown in the photo before it was mounted. It's a work truck and was not insured for theft, so this is a huge loss. If you...
  2. cracked_ribs

Wanted...14-17 trailer, or even just frame and axle

Putting out feelers here...won't need it for a bit but sooner or later that boat I'm building will need a carriage. The thing is, I have a ton of hardware from a buddy gave me after cleaning out the attic in an old shop that apparently used to service boat trailers, so I have bunks, rollers...
  3. cracked_ribs

A skiff

I mess around with boat design a bit. My first boat was of my own design, a sailboat I had almost twenty years ago. I’m not particular about using my own designs, though; the last boat I built was someone else’s design. But sometimes I want some particular thing and I figure I can do it well...
  4. cracked_ribs

Victoria fishing, October/November

I have a friend that might be down in Victoria October-November, who was asking me about local fishing during that time. All my memories of where and when Victoria fish action might be are filtered through roughly 10 years of youth, followed by 20 years of Alberta Premium. If anyone has...
  5. cracked_ribs

Kinda weird but I need a lawnmower.

Basically, I moved to Ladysmith where I have a lawn for the first time. When I was a kid on the island there were always these grease monkey small engine shops in somebody's garage and you could get an old Homelite chainsaw for $40 and a heavily used but perfectly tuned 1960s Sears lawnmower...
  6. cracked_ribs

A spearfishing thread

Rather than interrupt the lingcod thread with a tangent I'm interested in, but which isn't really directly related to lingcod fishing, let me put this here: Is there a course you would recommend? Having taken it yourself, what would you say the prerequisites are? My max in-water hold is about...
  7. cracked_ribs

Sharpening with a belt grinder

Hey guys, this came up in the tips thread... I have not actually watched the video, I just gave it a quick give'r and uploaded it so if it's unclear or lousy I apologize. Feel free to ask questions and I will clarify things as necessary. Just trying to show the versatility of a simple belt...
  8. cracked_ribs

Jigging reel question - anti reverse

This is something I wonder about once in a while and I figure some people here must have an answer they're satisfied with. When I'm jigging, I like to let line out in a pretty controlled way on account of our rocky, reefy bottom structure. I don't want to hit bottom hard, so I reel it out and...
  9. cracked_ribs

boxes are all spoken for now, happy to have helped!

This is kind of a weird one but I'm almost finished unpacking and I have tons of cardboard boxes. Just in case someone knows someone who is moving or about to move... I have like fifty moving boxes which are in perfectly usable condition. I could just recycle them at work but it seems like a...
  10. cracked_ribs

If you were going to pick a day to move your boat

Let's say you were moving to Ladysmith from Vancouver. But in between you had to spend a couple of months in Victoria, so you rented a storage spot for your boat somewhere around Ladysmith. If you got up in the morning one Sunday and the sky was clear and you'd just made sure the lights all...
  11. cracked_ribs

Relocating to Duncan-ish or northward

After years of trying to convince my employers that I would serve them better on the island, it appears to have finally happened. This is largely the result of committing to buy a set of swim steps which were over there, and which were then brought here by a helpful third party, thus making it...
  12. cracked_ribs

Half a new dinghy

I have a place in the gulf islands that (like a lot of islands) is boat access only, so I keep an old beater dinghy over there for ferrying people and things back and forth from the old Double Eagle. The DE has a 280 leg with questionable electro-mechanical trim so I don't really like to run...
  13. cracked_ribs

Wholesale Sports closing

Not sure if this is already common knowledge but WSS is closing its doors. http://calibremag.ca/wholesale-sports-closing/ LMZ guys might want to check out the tackle section in case of deals...they're saying "up to" 30% off. That might trigger a bite reflex for me, probably swing by tomorrow.
  14. cracked_ribs

Living in Comox, working in Campbell river

I live in Vancouver most of the time right now and I am pretty fed up with it. I've been trying to get my work relocated to Nanaimo for about a year now, and that may work, but a third option has cropped up. I might be able to get a big chunk of it moved to Campbell River. I can't see my wife...
  15. cracked_ribs

Couple of marine windows on BC auction

This is super specific and useless for 99.9% of people, but depending on what projects everyone has on the go, potentially these will go for dirt cheap and man, they'd cost money to have built. They have two which look identical as far as I can tell...
  16. cracked_ribs

Stick with the Double Eagle or go bigger?

Okay, here is the question that's been on my mind recently; hopefully people here will have some insight. Right now I have an old Double Eagle 206. Good boat and my wife's become emotionally invested in it which happens with her. For me it's just a boat but it does do what I ask which is...
Back