Search results

1. Big_Shank

Does anyone have any good dog fish recipes?

There are a few videos on youtube on how to strip them out on the water. Bring a cooler full of ice with you, bleed them and strip out as soon as you catch them. Cut into fillet sections which is easy because no bones, and batter and fry like any other battered fish and chips. They are a lot...
  2. Big_Shank

Rockfish Release

I just moved out to Sooke last weekend, and most of my fishing stuff is in boxes still. I will try to grab a pic tomorrow after work for you.
  3. Big_Shank

Rockfish Release

I built one of my own using a small spreader bar with a 2lb(can use bigger balls if you need to lol) ball on it. You cut the short end off the bar, the ball goes on the long end. Bend it to the shape of an r. Place the short end on the fish's lower jaw and send it down. Works like a charm, and...
  4. Big_Shank

Smoked salmon brown sugar/course salt ratio?

What wolf said. This ratio also works $#it hot on lingcod and rockfish. Don't believe me? Try it out for your self! For rockfish, brine time is 12 to 14 hours max, for lings 16 hours max. It works great on fire grilled trout too, with 6 hours brine before going on the bbq you can not beat it! It...
  5. Big_Shank

Guide boat down off Tofino

Glad I was wrong, still a terrible loss. Be safe out there people...
  6. Big_Shank

Ling Cod

N/M, I just looked again and the site has been updated to include the rest of area 20-1 to 20-4. Thanks!
  7. Big_Shank

Ling Cod

Is that a new reg? I could swear it was only rockfish open all year out there and ling was same opening as the rest of area 20 with a limit of 3 instead of 1.
  8. Big_Shank

If it is indeed the boat I am talking about, unclipping was not an option. The guy didn't have a halibut anchor setup, it was a standard bow mounted chain setup... again, I hope I am wrong here...
  9. Big_Shank

My brother is pretty sure its one of his good friends. Lives in alberta, and does charters on a cat out of tofino. They had problems pulling up anchor last time he was out with the guy. Scary stuff. Not going to really speculate too much here but if it was the same guy, it could have very well...
  10. Big_Shank

Ling Cod

So sooke is open for lincod but not from sheringham north wtf is up with that?
  11. Big_Shank

Anybody else irritated with the DFO?

And that would be the day I'd get stopped by the dfo for the first time ever in my life lol...
  12. Big_Shank

Anybody else irritated with the DFO?

Long story short, I am invited on a fishing trip tomorrow, and went to go grab a new license. I get to canadian tire where they inform me they no longer issue licenses, and it is all only online now. Thats fine. Except just now, I fill out all of the required info on the license app, only to...
  13. Big_Shank

Wild Mushroom Picking - Chanterelles

We found two on the side of a fire road, on a mountain near port renfrew, this September on our way hiking to a camp site. They were incredible! I just wanted to sniff the paper bag we had them in all night before dinner. Like fresh cinnamon buns lol. We never found any more on the 3 or 4...
  14. Big_Shank

Wild Mushroom Picking - Chanterelles

Nice work! My other half and I didn't get out for mushrooms as much as we wanted to this season, but the few times we did were actually fairly productive. The last few years have been kinda spotty. Our 6 year old loves coming out for the hunt too!
  15. Big_Shank

Chum Daily Limit Change

Hell yeah! I just need a couple more stinky old chum to make a solid batch! Ooh I froze mine too and will be thawing it back out to smoke, is that bad? lol...
  16. Big_Shank

Chum Daily Limit Change

Mmm Mmm I can't wait to throw this fertilizer in the ol smoker lol...
  17. Big_Shank

WiseBuys colwood forcefully closed?

I just went there to pick up some hooks and things and the lights are all off, it's locked up solid, and has a notice of lock change on the front door. Anyone know what's going on? I hope they aren't closed for good...
  18. Big_Shank

Shawnigan Creek Coho- CVRD Supreme Court Ruling to Hault Soil Dumping Overturned in Appeals Court

There should be some kind of class action lawsuit filed against the cvrd, and Supreme Court for allowing this to happen. The owners of the property itself should also face incredibly heavy fines and possibly jail time for dumping garbage into the environment. Why does it always come down to...
  19. Big_Shank

Besides salmon

Aside from what others have mentioned you could go for flounder, halibut, greenling, dogfish, crabs, and I'm sure I'm missing some...
  20. Big_Shank

Dry Brine or Wet Brine

I didn't know about the different stiffness between the dark and light brown sugar. Going to have to try two seperate batches next time I do a run...
Back