Search results

1. Sentinel

2022 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

You’re funnin us right?
  2. Sentinel

Tuna spread Sans outriggers

Poke a rod out each side with clones. Put two xrap rods straight back on each side with a shorter leash than forward side rods. Run a cedar plug way back and put rod in center top rocket launcher. Kind of like a W pattern. Swimbaits on sides can be substituted and running line through roller...
  3. Sentinel

80 cm Spring

Those are Tryees! Subtle difference.
  4. Sentinel

Glass houses and rocks come to mind https://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/index.php?threads/2020-nootka-sound-esperanza-inlet-reports.78643/post-1002001 https://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/index.php?threads/2019-nootka-sound-esperanza-inlet-reports.73075/page-8#post-936543
  5. Sentinel

Headed up middle of next month for a week. Having trouble finding 5 1/4” chovies to bring but have a lead on a case of the 5” variety. I hear the bait has been small this year, so what is the consensus on 5” chovies for this years fishery? Oh and Fog ducker you haven’t lived until you have...
  6. Sentinel

Do you have a vacmaster? Quick question.

Gauges all read different and most likely Vac Master does not use high end gauges at this price point. Most likely the pump is provIding plenty of vacuum. A calibrated manometer would be needed to ascertain exactly what it is pulling down to.
  7. Sentinel

Swimbaits and Lingcod

I have soaked many a curly tail grub and twin tail scampi on home poured lead head jigs over the years. Two things are pretty much a given, you are going to lose gear at some point if you are fishing the right habitat and some bodies are going to get trashed by these toothy leviathans. This year...
  8. Sentinel

2021 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Sorry about your loss. I love scotty products but their boom mounted rod holders and regular all plastic rod holders will break. I solved the boom rod holder problem by finding an all stainless holder and actually tig welded the off side mounting clamp to the boom. It is rock solid now. As far...
  9. Sentinel

Descending devises

Seaqualizer works great on downrigger. With good electronics you can see on your screen when the fish is released and then swims the rest of the way to the bottom. I descended several in the last couple days but keep forgetting to get a screen shot. Well worth the expense and effort to be good...
  10. Sentinel

What’s your top speed?

Custom 28’ commercial grade pilothouse tinner. Average loaded weight 10,500 lbs. Twin Suzuki DF200’s, wot 6000 rpms at 44 mph. Economy at cruise speeds stays pretty flat between 20-35mph, so my cruise speed varies depending on conditions. My economy averages 1.8mpg at cruise speeds.
  11. Sentinel

2020 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

I have a couple spots that I consistently get hali that are 40-60’ deep and have kelp and cobble rock hard bottom. Every one I have cut open has had kelp crab in their gut. They are where you find them. Nice fish eroyd, sounds like fun.
  12. Sentinel

Avet SXJ (Silver) - For Sale

I have 10 avets and use them for pretty much all my saltwater fishing with braid on all of them except a mono top shot for some applications. Putting tape on the arbor to give the initial wraps of braid something to bite into as well as loading the braid on with as much tension as possible is...
  13. Sentinel

Windlass Anchoring

I used to hate anchoring fo overnighter’s and endured some early am fire drills. After getting a manson supreme 35# anchor with proper rode and learning how to set properly, I sleep like a baby on the pick. This is on a 28’ boat (33’ oal). Overkill some would say, I call it a perfect match ;)
  14. Sentinel

Windlass Anchoring

For halibut anchoring in deep water, a cockpit deployed setup with a quick release for safety is always the best choice. For very temporary anchoring in calm waters where you are not leaving the boat, just dropping pick with windlass and a light tug back and leaving on windless may be ok. For...
  15. Sentinel

2020 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Sometimes when the dog fish or the peckers are bad I will fillet the sides off a blue label herring and use magic thread to lash them to a white power grub shiny side out. Works good. Magic thread also works to lash up a multi bait rig to keep the peckers at bay. When the doggies and peckers...
  16. Sentinel

Victoria waterfront prawning

If you find a good spot and hit the right depth you will get 90% of a overnight soak with just an hr soak. If you do way better on the overnight soak you probably are fishing too shallow for a shorter day soak. Shrimp are diurnal and they climb upslope into much shallower water during the...
  17. Sentinel

Seaport 2400 XL POD Conversion Project

200 mercs will make your Seasport very responsive. I have a 28’ heavy tinner with twin 200 zukes and it does great. You should see a mid 30’s cruise around 2mpg. Your top speed should be high 40’s. I cruise at 25-36 mph depending on sea conditions and get pretty much the same economy over that...
  18. Sentinel

Best bigger Aluminum Vessel??

There are several accounts of kingfisher owners finding bondo or a similar substrate used to fair in ground welds before paint. These are usually found when prepping to fix bubbling paint or cracked welds. Maybe they quit using bondo but I doubt it as it is the easiest way to hide ground welds...
  19. Sentinel

Lets Talk Tuna Rods and Reels

For your trolling gear most of the hali rods are fine. Eventually the levelwinds on reels used for tuna will fail and a conventional non levelwind is a better choice. If you were going to upgrade reels, the avets are hard to beat. The two speed models are also great when fishing deep for hali...
  20. Sentinel

How to Coho close to shore?

Blue fox spinners work well in chartreuse, green and rocket red. Buzz bombs cast out and brought in with a steady retrieve work well also. Twitching marabou jigs and a herring under a float can also produce in these areas.
Back