Search results

1. B

Winter Harbour Report

Spring....That tourist was right next to me, at the west end of Cliff, in a 15 foot Whaler, first time in there, doubled up, and one was a 41# spring. We did not have a fish close to that in a full week of pounding it inside and out. No justice there!
  2. B

2013 Bamfield Tuna Shootout recaps and pics

The tuna are thick right now about 35 miles out off Central WA. This Youtube video was from a charter I took last Friday, stupid good bite. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxhOBtTsxIQ The captain made us quit at 10:30 AM lest we sink the boat. Big fun and an excellent freezer packing...
  3. B

LED Lit Tomic

Yes, the turd was long and yellow and brown. Probably be deadly just as with the LED on winter springs. For winter springs here(our blackmouth) I usually run around 30 foot off the clip to get the flasher/lure elevated a bit, then run the DR balls right to the bottom and let em bounce along...
  4. B

LED Lit Tomic

I might just be sold on the flashing stuff. After having some LEDs from Salty Dog/Pirates Den rattling around on board for a few months, I broke down last weekend, stuffed a green LED in the body of the supplied large body turd colored squid, and ran it for some early October, and often...
  5. B

Port Hardy / Winter Harbour / North Island Report - Spring and Summer 2011

Spring fishing on the highway is typically best deep, I'll often run over 300'. My best to date, 47#, was caught at 330'. The few we caught out there this year were at 220'.
  6. B

Port Hardy / Winter Harbour / North Island Report - Spring and Summer 2011

Just returned from 7 days in Winter Harbour. Weird year, outside was tough with no wide open highway bite that we could locate. Springs everywhere on the outside seemed spotty...the water was warm, over 58oF in places, with lots of blue sharks, ocean sunfish, and millions of these weird...
  7. B

Problem with fin/pankake downrigger lead

I frequently like to fish right on the floor for salmon, more so for halis. Pancake weights aren't much good for this, so mine generally stay in the locker.
  8. B

Missing Boat

I wear an ACR EPIRB like that on my inflatable mustang when fishing offshore. Equipped with a GPS device that automatically transmits accurate location every 10 minutes or so for up to 48 hours. Goes on at the dock, and off again at the dock. The combo cost less than $1,000 total, and I'm...
  9. B

Missing Boat

Comfortable self-inflating jackets, a wearable EPIRB and good life raft are standard equipment on my boat, and really should be on guide boats fishing outside most every day of the summer. The life raft is only good if you can deploy it, which in this case where the boat may have flipped...
  10. B

Missing Boat

I continue to hold out hope until confirmation otherwise. This was my 9th year fishing out Winter Harbor in my older 22' C-dory Angler. The outside is big water with very few boats, and I can only remember a handful of days on all those trips where it did not blow hard, at least in the late...
  11. B

Winter Harbour 2010

Halilogger: Try trolling slow with a big herring or strip bait off your DRs along the 120-130 contour east of Kains, banging your downrigger balls on the bottom. This area is always good for a few halis, often some really nice ones if the coho or pinks are thick in the area. Got one there...
Back