Search results

1. Mervillite

2021 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Just got back from Nootka and a 4 day trip. with 4 guys we limited on springs all caught on the inside. seemed to be like fishing in the old days when the bite came on you would see 10 boats all playing fish at the same time. Nice that boats were being very respectful too, if you got a...
  2. Mervillite

We were out last weekend with the family again. I got stopped by DFO 2 times in one day. Once on the north side of Bligh (they were waiting just past San Carlos and just checking boats coming in. by one guy and then in the evening by a different boat in the Zucarrdi channel. Both were nice...
  3. Mervillite

Got back from my family and friends Derby out at Nootka on Sunday. We got our wednesday night and tried beercan bay but there was little bait and no action aside from some little shakers. Thursday morning we went to wash rock and had decent action. Tons of shakers but we got into 4...
  4. Mervillite

Not many right now, the Commercial boats just finished up their season. There were more boats in the inlet than normal. I know one of the regulars and he was saying it was his slowest year ever. Normally after the commercial opening it isnt worth the time or effort for at least a few...
  5. Mervillite

we tried a few hoochies, flash flies and spoons. We found spoons to work the best for us. The fish had anchovies in their stomachs and lots of them more of a medium size this year as opposed to smaller sized the last couple years. We didnt try Beano because couldnt get around the corner...
  6. Mervillite

Just got back from a quick weekend trip out to Nootka. The wind was blowing and the rain was pouring but there were fish around. lots of little ones everywhere we went. We kept 11 springs and got 2 coho although we didnt boat any bigger ones. All were 7-12lbs. we had kids out and first...
  7. Mervillite

Does anyone know if the Cougar Creek gate is still open or if Forestry has locked it?
  8. Mervillite

2020 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Just got back from a weekend at Nootka. Fri-Sun. We fished inside for a few hours each morning, and on the afternoon tide change. Fished the wall and camel. We brought 9 springs home, half in the teens and half in the low 20s. also got 2 coho along the wall, 10 and 14 lbs. Morning...
  9. Mervillite

People do jig once and a while and it works, however the best spots to target often have lots of boats trolling so if you tried to jig you would screw everyone else up. I have seen a few people try and just pull up in a prime spot and start jigging. I think the things that are yelled at them...
  10. Mervillite

Just back from a weekend trip to Nootka. Stayed in Galliano Bay. Friday night fished camel and it was slow. Saw no one catching, marked lots of fish. Saturday morning we tried burdwood and although we got several shakers we didnt get anything of size. Since it was slow we did keep 2 that...
  11. Mervillite

Gold River boat launch

I saw a well known poacher American out there last week. He stays for 2 months per year at Tuta Marina and sells his catch in Washington. Tinman. We reported him to DFO. American residents cannot obtain fishing licenses so he is fishing illegally, just like he catches more than his 10 per...
  12. Mervillite

The main dock was complete about a week ago but they said that there would be no fingers installed this year, only the main run of dock. It was looking nice however the parking will be limited. Like the old days with boats rafted together.
  13. Mervillite

There should be some fish on the inside but it will be hit and miss. You can probably troll up a spring or two at beer can, camel rock, Hoiss. If your guests get sea sick try just inside the lighthouse at dollys cove. just keep following the shoreline into the sound from the lighthouse and...
  14. Mervillite

Gold River boat launch

Open for all BC residents. If you moved here from Alberta and are still running red plates to save on insurance, it may be time to switch :)
  15. Mervillite

2019 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

The June and early July fishing was great and the 3rd week in July was also hot for about a week. The early august and mid august were fairly spotty compared to prior years. There were fish in certain spots but not all over the inlet in the beginning of August like normal. I would say the...
  16. Mervillite

Just got back from a 4 day 3 night trip. Fishing was on fire in many spots. We fished washer rock to maquinna in the mornings and had springs and coho almost non-stop. We fished the night bite around hoiss to coopte and also did very well. Fish seemed deeper than normal but also more...
  17. Mervillite

You guys do know you cannot retain Chinook out there over 80cm right..... as per the past 2 pages of posts in here and the new regs... I think it is about 12-14 lbs max size if you are more than 1 mile off the surfline. same goes for people fishing off the red can. I was out last week and...
  18. Mervillite

i will keep an eye open for you. i will be back July 9-14, July 26-28 and then the long weekend in august. my boat is in my picture. 24 harborcraft kingfisher
  19. Mervillite

Just got back from a weekend trip to nootka. Fished washer rock and the lighthouse. fished for 3-4 hours fri/sat/sun mornings and ended up with 12 springs in the boat. lost just as many. fishing was good and the wales were active, had a humpback go about 1ft under my boat and almost lost all...
  20. Mervillite

Outside waters may be open but Bajo usually closes July 15th so it will be interesting to see if the annual Bajo reef closures continue as they have been or if they will change due to these other new restrictions. Maybe Bajo will be off limits for Chinook retention going forward. They...
Back