Search results

1. C

Chinook netting on the Fraser has officially begun!

If netting has to be allowed, wouldn't it be better if they only opened part of the river course? For example, open a section of river, but only allow from the center of the river to the South shore (for a river running from East to West)..... That way you'd know some fish have a chance to make...
  2. C

South Coast Hatcheries

Hi Simon - Can you comment on what percentage of the released fish are marked as hatchery?
  3. C

South Coast Hatcheries

Thank you for jumping on and providing an update. For those fish moved offsite, will they return to Chapman or do they imprint on the Capilano?
  4. C

South Coast Hatcheries

I went to the hatchery site and sent them a message asking about the status of the well and to join this site and comment on this thread... http://scsalmon.org/contact
  5. C

South Coast Hatcheries

And, in the mean time, flows in the creek would be helped by this as well. It would help any spawners that don't hit the hatchery. This should be linked to helping the whales... people from multiple groups would probably pay attn. - Paul
  6. C

South Coast Hatcheries

Just ran across some bad news about the Chapman Creek hatchery and the impact of expected low water flows this summer. For the size of the creek, they do a great job. Too bad they're having to deal with this issue on top of everything else...
  7. C

Where Capilano Chinook are caught

If the Cap is maxed out, then it does seem like focusing on enhancing the Seymour and other creeks/rivers up the Indian Arm would be a good alternative. Seems like their migration patterns would be similar to that of the Cap. Hopefully the Squamish will continue to improve too. Nice to see a...
  8. C

Eco Groups Want Emergency protection for Resident Orcas!

Might be worthwhile to move down the food chain and enhance the Salish Sea herring - Reduce the Commercial Herring Fishery Increase Spawning http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/herring-run-squamish-wrapping-pilons-creosote-jonn-matsen-1.3447913 That would help the entire food...
  9. C

Harvesting shellfish

Good point, but it used to get real muddy out there during flood back in the day. Not as much these days, but it still happens....
  10. C

Harvesting shellfish

Not sure how 29-1 differs from ECVI though... but, maybe it's just easier to paint the regs with a broad brush
  11. C

Harvesting shellfish

Seems odd that 29-1 is closed year round. - I know the concern is probably septic/sewage, but there are still a lot of beaches that haven't been built up much.
  12. C

Chapman Creek Hatchery - Sechelt; Running Dry

Low water levels in Chapman Creek are creating higher temperatures and shallow waterways that are threatening salmon survival. The water level in Chapman Creek is controlled partially by the Sunshine Coast Regional District (SCRD), and general manager of infrastructure services Bryan Shoji...
  13. C

Confusing Coho?

Spots on the gill plate makes me think it was an Atlantic.
  14. C

Bull Kelp Reforestation

I always thought it was interesting how little kelp there is in Howe Sound. I wonder if it is a combination of the pulp mills and the old mine? There used to be a kelp bed near Roberts Creek, but it has been gone for years. Eel grass has left the area too....
  15. C

Top 3 Local to you Fishing Holes

Camp Byng, Gower Point and Chaster Point (mostly due to the range of my tin can on the Sunshine Coast)
Back