Search results

1. TanTastic84

Winterize or not too winterize?

I really appreciate that someone brought this up. I too will be storing my brand new boat outdoors and I have been running around talking to every boat guy I can meet to discuss what I can do to help maintain it as best I can throughout the winter. I have been surprised to find the...
  2. TanTastic84

How long can you keep wet brine bait

I just had this issue come up and what I did was a little weird but it worked. I had my herring and anchovies in a wet brine for 2 days (rock salt, Mrs. Stewart's). I pulled the bait out of the brine, laid them on paper towels to dry them out a bit then put them in a zip lock bag with a cup...
  3. TanTastic84

Best Riding 18-19 Ft Welded Aluminum Boat?

I don't think weight is the issue with mine... At least I don't think it is. My issue is with the shallow deadrise (10 degrees) we get pounded pretty good when we are trying to get around. Now, it's a very comfortable boat and very stable, but I can definitely tell it's more of a river /...
  4. TanTastic84

Best Riding 18-19 Ft Welded Aluminum Boat?

Speaking from the 18' Sportsman perspective, I would definitely go with the Sea Runner. I'm having buyer's remorse at this time. My only suggestion to you would be one that I have been preaching relentlessly for the last 5 months: Take your regular fishing buddy (be it your wife or friend...
  5. TanTastic84

Dacron Fishing Line

Agreed. I use 80lb dacron I purchased off ebay for about $10 for 1000yards. It works great as a backing on my mooching reels.
  6. TanTastic84

How Tasty Is Your Bait?

Haha, yeah. I thought I was keeping it simple but I guess it's a little more involved than I thought. :)
  7. TanTastic84

How Tasty Is Your Bait?

If I'm going to add other scents like anise or garlic etc., I like injecting the bait individually. Once I rig up my herring or anchovy I use a syringe or a bait injector to fill the body cavity with some scent. This makes it more potent (in my opinion) and you can change things up easily on...
  8. TanTastic84

How Tasty Is Your Bait?

I try to keep mine simple too. I buy a gallon of distilled water, rock salt and Mrs. Stewart's. Those are my three main ingredients. Basic recipe: ~4 cups distilled water 1 cup rock salt couple drops of Mrs. Stewart's (just enough to get a blue mist to the brine mixture) I will then add one...
  9. TanTastic84

18' Boat in Ucluelet. Good idea or no?

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who's done this. This happened to me recently and thankfully we were able to realize the mistake and correct our course before we ran aground with the new boat. That dual screen gps/depth finder is AWESOME! I thought I was getting false readings on my depth...
  10. TanTastic84

More prototype Casting lures

Were you casting and retrieving the originals set up like a Carolina rig? Something like the photo below? I've always thought to do this but didn't want to look silly.
  11. TanTastic84

Prawn bait pellets? brand?

Couldn't you make your own fish paste? I do that for my Brad's cut plug and super bait rigs. I take some old frozen herring, sardines or cut plug left overs and put them in my food processor and grind them into a canned tuna consistency. I add a bunch of pickling salt, put it in a jar and...
  12. TanTastic84

Flasher too damaged to fish in line?

Breakaway flasher!
  13. TanTastic84

Best day of fishing of my LIFE!!!! take a look:)

I think every sportsman out there owes you a debt of gratitude my man. Well done. And thank you for stepping up and doing your civic duty to speak up about others breaking the law. This really should be a lesson to everyone to stand up and take charge of a situation when you feel a wrong is...
  14. TanTastic84

Monster halibut caught on Rapala XRap Magnum in Port Hardy

This video gives me so much more confidence now in my thinking. My aunt purchased a bunch of these stickbait / jerkbait style lures for me from a garage sale and I was looking at them thinking, "man, these might work while anchor fishing on the Columbia"? They look like they'll work similar to...
  15. TanTastic84

smelly jelly

Great idea! I also tie a little bit of yarn on my upper hook and put scent on that too. Holds for a long time and you can take the yarn out for easy cleaning. As for cleaning: I have a small plastic box on the boat I fill with a little fresh water and put some dish soap in it. After I'm...
  16. TanTastic84

Dummy flashers & tuna cord

Correct. The heavy line on the dummy flasher off the DR ball makes for a more durable setup. Around the Puget Sound there's a lot of times we "bounce bottom" which can result in damage to your flasher line and lost gear.
  17. TanTastic84

I actually prefer the dummy flasher when fishing with bait. I'm sure it's mostly in my head but I feel like I have a more "direct" connection to the fish and can really feel what the fish is doing more so than when there's a flasher inline with my bait/spoon. That's just me. I know there's a...
  18. TanTastic84

Sorry guys. This is getting really complicated. Is there a photo of what you're referring to?
  19. TanTastic84

Running 3 downriggers on a 23’ boat

As Rob H mentioned, run the stern rigger up 10ft+ to make sure things are away from each other. Another thing to remember is, shorten your distance from your clip. I like running my gear out about 15ft+ before clipping into my release but I would suggest running things no more than 10ft. And...
Back