Search results

1. S

Smartplug cord and outlet- Great shore power

Brand new, never used cord and outlet. $475 for both. Located in Vancouver.
  2. S

Setting up Bauer prawn traps- poly rope?

Freeze them in clean ocean water asap if you can- they will last a long time this way ( if You aren’t chowing them down right away).Otherwise, clean them asap and put them in a ziplock within another ziplock that has ice( or anything with ice) for storage for several days.
  3. S

Making Bacon

I like stuff ( salmon, pork, scotch etc) quite smoky but definitely not ashtray tasting! Some things I've smoked I think are out of the ballpark perfect taste wise, but my wife finds insultingly smoky ( of course, she's wrong but please don't tell her)! Perhaps I have an insensitive palate...
  4. S

Making Bacon

Cold smoked about 14 hours total and then vac sealed for a week to mellow and let smoke infuse. It was a super lean belly ( arguably too lean) from Beefway. It’s hard to go back to most store bought bacon after doing it yourself.
  5. S

Making Bacon

You have to ask for curing salt at Gourmet warehouse. They keep it behind the counter near the knives, probably to keep people from confusing it with salt that is pink. Great to know about Beefway. Looking forward to Trying Chicken World, have heard other good things about it. On a side note...
  6. S

Let’s see your Christmas lights!

I still have slowly composting pumpkins on my porch...your lights look great
  7. S

Fried dogfish

I think maybe on a larger shark that may be a good idea. The ones we kept were not big dogfish. They had no odor or funky smells. Filleted and skinned them and they sat in the fridge a few days before eating.
  8. S

Fried dogfish

I decided it was time to try some dogfish as my buddy was a always saying how good they are. They sure look ugly in the cooler next to beautiful Spring’s! Made a simple batter with quick rise flour and beer from Hank Shaw’s fish cookbook, and deep fried in Canola oil.I also made aa tartar sauce...
  9. S

What's for dinner tonight ?

The Chirashi bowl at Koko’s is amazing!
  10. S

Cuts of meat on sale

I agree, those are super tasty! And that’s the every day price.
  11. S

Bacon first timer - anyone have a good brine calculator?

I use this equilibrium calculator based on the weight and cure for 10 days either vacuum sealed or in a ziploc. I generally do 1.8% salt and it’s always great, never too salty. http://www.diggingdogfarm.com/page2.html
  12. S

TRIP UPDATE! Looking For Suggestions For a Weekend Getaway in Victoria

Yes, it is very nice, or was a few years ago at least.
  13. S

I’m ready to upgrade to a chamber vacuum

I wanted a vp215 but the price kept scaring me away. I ended up buying a chamber sealer from Vevor which was just over $400 shipped, cheaper than almost anything out there. It takes oil. It can only do 10 inch seals but it works really great. I like the 4mil bags. I bought some from Halfords...
  14. S

What's for dinner tonight ?

My first Rodeo with pickled herring- they are nice to photograph but hope they taste as good as they look. Purchased from the Fishermen Helping Kids with Cancer fundraiser in Steveston. I bastardized several recipes, but just hoping the brine isn’t too sweet and that salt is ok. Not for dinner...
  15. S

Wanted

Hi, I have older 200/50 kHz dual freq, depth temp, model # 010-10272-10. It was never used. I’m not sure if it will work or not. If it does, please let me know.
  16. S

2021 Gulf Island Reports

Hi, I’m on Mayne. I generally fish with downriggers there and most of the boats I’ve seen seem to, but I’m sure mooching would work. Active Pass is kind of famous for mooching in the past. There are quite a few pinks around right now which has been kind of fun.
Back