Search results

1. Almar22

2024 Tuna Adventures

Try to line up a buddy boat if you can - gets pretty lonely out by yourself 50 miles from shore! Easier said than done though, I usually end up with just my crew but we have been on a lot of tuna trips and have it pretty dialed in.
  2. Almar22

Downrigger getting tired?

I switched over to aluminum spools on my 2601s a couple years ago (made by a guy down here in the Seattle area). They are great and I regularly run 18 and 20 lb balls. Spendy, but one less thing to worry about!
  3. Almar22

I Like the New Barbless Hooks from PN&T

Never mind on my last request! A 30 second search found the answer - now to figure out what to do with all my double hook setups I tied already~
  4. Almar22

I Like the New Barbless Hooks from PN&T

I have always used the dual hook setup but am anxious to make this change (for all the reasons listed above.) Can someone post a picture of the rigged setup for me, are you using a bead or two to adjust the hook spacing, etc. thanks!
  5. Almar22

2023 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Heading up this weekend, debating driving to Tahsis or launching at Gold River and running out in the boat. It has been about 5 years since I drove the road into Tahsis - how is the road condition? Pulling a 26' boat.
  6. Almar22

Best 200hp Engine

Another vote for 200Hp Suzukis - running a pair of them on my Silver Streak and they are great. As said, super quiet and smooth!
  7. Almar22

Drain plug for aluminum boat

I have a Silver Streak and replaced the nylon plug with an aluminum plug i got from amazon - Aluminum 3/4 NPT Male Thread Allen Head Socket Pipe Plug Hex Black Anodized Pack of 2 The allen head is nice.
  8. Almar22

Haida Gwaii

A trip to Haida Gwai has been on my dream list for years, but trying to push it up and make it happen next year! If fishing on the west side, are there any fueling (gasoline) options? Seems like that is a big limiting factor.
  9. Almar22

NORTH COAST PILGRIMAGE: PART V

Great story and pictures! Was planning a similiar trip this summer, but life got in the way again. Next summer for sure, you have gotten me fired up, hope to see you up there!
  10. Almar22

Processing / Transportation Question

In the past we have filleted the salmon, but left attached at the tail. These essentially whole fish go into the fish bags and then a freezer to get them solid before transportation. Once we get home (back in the states) we thaw just enough to be able to cut into portion sizes then vacuum pack...
  11. Almar22

2022 Tuna Adventures

Keep them on ice overnight makes them much easier to process. Check out youtube videos on how to cark em!
  12. Almar22

Vacuum Sealer Recommendations

Yeah, just heavily wrap the prawns in wax paper then into the 4ml bag to vacuum pack. They last great in the freezer. We used to put them in tupperware containers of ocean saltwater then freeze, but they seem to get watery and overly salty that way. Much prefer the wax paper/vac pack.
  13. Almar22

Vacuum Sealer Recommendations

Nootka - enjoy your VP215! Been loving mine for a lot of years now, not a single problem. I wrap all my fish in saran wrap (get the big roll at Costco) then into 4 ml bags. Settings are: Vacuum for 35 seconds, low setting Sealing 1.5 seconds Cooling1.2 seconds Prawns get wrapped in a couple...
  14. Almar22

I’m ready to upgrade to a chamber vacuum

I use a VP215 (and have used it heavily for about 10 years now). 4 ml bags and also do retort bags for canning tuna using a pressure cooker. Good tip when packaging spot prawns is to first wrap them in wax paper to keep them from puncturing the bag.
  15. Almar22

Lets talk Downrigger Braid

I just adjust my downrigger drag to barely hold 2 downrigger weights (I use 20lbers). Just connect both balls to the downrigger line, quick and easy to set or test.
  16. Almar22

1101 Scotty help!!

Yup, that will do it (and was going to be my answer but someone beat me to it!).
  17. Almar22

scotty HP downriggers

I have had one counter (original style that doesn't shut off) fail. The other original counter is still running strong after multiple years and lots of use. I personally would never go back to 1106 type counter. Carry a couple digital spares, it takes about a minute to swap it out, even in rough...
  18. Almar22

Nootka/Esperanza winter fishing

All I can say is that I wish like hell I could join you! Stuck on the wrong side of the border and really missing my trips north! Good luck and be safe!
  19. Almar22

DOWNRIGGER WEIGHT RETRIEVER

Tubber, I agree with the doughnut for a weed trap. Used to get mad when someone let it hang down in the water, then one day noticed how well it worked with keeping weeds from sliding down the line to the release. Now it is a feature!
  20. Almar22

Discovery Bay Pot Hauler

I've got the Discovery Bay puller and it is awesome! Had an Ace before and there is no comparison. Chuck (the owner of the company) is a great guy and will give you lots of help if you ever have any issues.
Back