Search results

1. pelican

Found: 16’ canoe East Sooke

Salvaged a canoe today. Describe what’s in the seats to claim.
  2. pelican

2022 Sooke Reports

Out yesterday to see herring balls on the surface in Beecher Bay. Came home to fill out the dfo management survey. Last day for the survey today. And one option is to block off the head to the trap.
  3. pelican

Wanted a 24 to 27 ft boat

I might sell my Hourston 26 Sportfisher this year. 570 I/0 with a 290 Volvo Penta DP. DM me. Chuck built it for himself, according to Bill Hourston.
  4. pelican

What Did You Do To Your Boat This Week?

Ordered Tbolts from Amazon to install hardware on window frames of 16 foot Hourston. Prepping equipment and supplies to make a sunbrella boat top. Started thread to request dimensions of original pole frame. Apparently the TBolts might work to install Scotty gear on Kayak rails.
  5. pelican

Original Hourston 16 boat top design

Winter project. I’m hoping to get pole measurements for a 1977 Hourston 16 to recreate the original boat top frame. Longer side window style.
  6. pelican

2021 Sooke Reports

pI was just going to move the boat from the driveway to the dock to clear the path for the trick or treaters tomorrow, but it was calm and sunny. Out at the Bedfords to 450 from high tide at 2 until dusk, only shakers for me.
  7. pelican

SRKW - New Research Findings on Prey Availability

I’m pretty interested in the unexpected findings in the Marine Mammal Centre study. I hope this helps the case for longer fishing seasons for chinook. From CBC report of Oct 12th, “A team from the University of British Columbia says the assumption that southern resident killer whales are in...
  8. pelican

Flashers - suggestions

Green onion (UV green stripe) and UV Purple Haze are my go to for spring, and red old school. I don’t fish the small flashers like some swear by.
  9. pelican

2021 Sooke Reports

Out after work to the Head. Beauty eve with the clouds coming in. Trolled out with glow green hootch at 160, peanut butter at 100 and white at 60. At 530, lots of birds, and a double header for an 8 and 6 chinook. Both hatch, but let the smaller one swim away. Fished in with the setting sun. I’m...
  10. pelican

2021 Sooke Reports

Just curious, what to do with a runner that surfaces some 200 m from your boat Toward shore. At the Head. I was solo yesterday and while letting her run, threw the boat in neutral. long line out with boats all around. Funny thing, it surfaced within netting distancing of a boat setting up their...
  11. pelican

2020 Sooke Reports

Late start today, 11-2. Out to 400 feet off Possession with a couple other boats, with a short trip planned due to the BWD forecast to be off the water by 1:00. Released a 52 cm feeder spring from 200 ft on APHerring, and continuous shakers. Hooked into an 8-9 # wild on a uv white hootchie at...
  12. pelican

2020 Sooke Reports

Out yesterday afternoon, with my mom, who had never seen Juan de Fuca/ East Sooke or Sooke Harbour from the water, though she's lived here for 77 years.Tried to hook into the same fish we got into Sun afternoon at Secretary, but they were gone. We trolled from Fraser to West Bedford o...
  13. pelican

2020 Sooke Reports

Out last eve, at the head. As soon as I got a rod in the water a great hit on bait green/gold Chrome. Ran away from and back to the boat as the boat was being push onto the rocks in the big swell. Shook the hook looking at me. I didn't have the net ready anyway. So that's 2 for 11 fish over the...
  14. pelican

Leader length for spoons

FB, I was never very good at math... Dumb luck and time in help fill my freezer. Shakers is all I usually get with 42" smaller spoons in Whirl Bay in the winter. Maybe 6' is the answer.
  15. pelican

25 Bertam vs 26 Hourston

Never been on a Bertram. I'll trade a ride in the spring with a 26 Hourston Sportfisher, stock i/o.
  16. pelican

What was your highlight of the year?

Last week.of Sept, it was a noKeeper wild coho day for my prairie friend, who said I'd never get her out on my boat. Four wilds were returned, no net no touch. She says I'm the meanest skipper ever for making her throw all her fish back
  17. pelican

2018 Sooke Reports

Tried fishing the ebb today, timelines and in. Only two hits, both at 85 and both on bloody nose with 10 pack. Nothing on hootch or spoon. Trying the flood tomorrow.
  18. pelican

Emergency SFAB Meetings About Proposed SRKW Fishing Closures

Here's the invitation.. To add you own perspective to that of organized groups that speak on our collective behalf, Please send to Ashley.Dobko@dfo.mpo.gc.ca by Mar 15th, 2018. The paper is http://sportfishing.bc.ca/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/SRKW-Discussion-Paper-Final-Feb-15-2018.pdf
  19. pelican

IMPORTANT: Southern Resident Killer Whale Town Hall Mtg.

I was left wondering if there would be enough bait offshore to feed the net pen fish to a 20# plus size for the SRKWs.
  20. pelican

Lost Pleasure Craft Operators Certificate

Where do we get a replacement?
Back