Search results

1. M

kayak fishing 2015

I try to get out all winter. Not so much fishing, as the wind up here makes that difficult sometimes, but at least getting out on the water. In Victoria I probably paddled more in winter than in summer - winter southeasterlies countering an ebb current made for some great play conditions in...
  2. M

kayak fishing 2015

I'm in Nanaimo. I usually head out from the Charlaine (North Nanaimo) boat ramp to either Neck Point or the Five Fingers area, but have had limited success this year with salmon. The last few times out I've gone out to French Creek (near Qualicum) or Nuttal Bay near Nanoose, and I'm...
  3. M

2015 Nanaimo Reports

I was out at the fingers today (kayak fishing) and only saw a handful of other boats. No bites for me and I didn't see a lot of nets out but I'm sure there must have been something biting. Back at the ramp, a guy in a tin boat had landed an 18lb spring closer in at Neck Pt. So, there are still a...
  4. M

kayak fishing 2015

OK thanks guys! I've just 'poured' another custom lead pancake weight so I'll try that tomorrow... but I'm guessing it might still be too wide and draggy (6.5 lb). All my successes over on the west coast have come from jigging, but it seems there are fewer fish here (I'm in Nanaimo), or maybe...
  5. M

kayak fishing 2015

Do all you kayak fishermen down in Victoria use Mirage-drive systems? If not, is there any viable way of using a downrigger for salmon fishing from a 'conventional' (ie. paddle-driven!) fishing kayak? I was out near French Creek last week in my Tarpon, set up with a downrigger etc., but I can't...
  6. M

kayak fishing

I use a shark hook on a short length of wood handle as my primary gaff. Works great for all fish. I made myself a halibut harpoon, although I haven't actually used it yet. It's much like the commercial ones: a sharp spear that seperates from a shaft and handle. Attached to the tip is a steel...
  7. M

kayak fishing

From my experience with catching halibut from a kayak, they don't give much of a fight until they're close to the surface. Mostly they just feel like you're hauling up an old boot, but with the occasional flick to remind you that it is, indeed, a fish. The fun starts when you get them within...
  8. M

kayak fishing

Normally I'd be game, C-J... But unfortunately already have plans for tomorrow. Any other day, give me a little advanced notice and I'll arrange a trip down!
  9. M

kayak fishing

I'm heading out to Race Rocks tomorrow morning with a buddy in our sea kayaks but I might get a bit of fishing in after the ebb... Mostly just playing around in the current though.
  10. M

kayak fishing

Well since we were camping we unfortunately had no way to store any meat for 10 days so after the photos we had no choice but to let the big hali go! Despite the ordeal he swam away happily so I'm confident he's doing just fine. Ditto for the salmon - we ate the first one but released all the...
  11. M

kayak fishing

Ha ha - I'd love to, if I had any tips to share! The area we were camped at was on the exposed west coast of the island, but there was a long ridge of rocks, many protruding from the surface, about 2 miles out from shore. Beyond that, the bottom quickly dropped off to 300+ feet. But between us...
  12. M

kayak fishing

I've heard that from a few people, but I don't really see what the concern is. At worst, it's a temporary anchor until you free it up or cut the cable / line. You can always let more cable out to give you a bit of slack to work on it, if you're not able to free it...
  13. M

kayak fishing

That sucks about the downrigger ball! Last winter I made myself a custom, ~4lb ultra-thin pancake weight by melting down all sorts of chunks of scrap lead and shaping it down with files. Took forever and had to be super careful about fumes and clean-up but the result was excellent. Then I went...
  14. M

Nanaimo - Spring / Summer 2014

Thanks Fisherman Guy - some good info there. Might try the Winchelsea area next time. We were kayak fishing Five Fingers last night and didn't see any nets get wet, until the end when I brought up a nice ling, just over 8 lbs, on a light pink buzz bomb. Any idea what depth the Coho are at up...
  15. M

Nanaimo - Spring / Summer 2014

Thanks Fisherman Guy - some good info there. Might try the Winchelsea area next time. We were kayak fishing Five Fingers last night and didn't see any nets get wet, until the end when I brought up a nice ling, just over 8 lbs, on a light pink buzz bomb. Any idea what depth the Coho are at up...
  16. M

Open Seats For Other Members

Sorry I missed this! Been itching to get out lately but it's not a lot of fun getting blown around in the fishing kayak.
  17. M

kayak fishing

I don't think I'll be able to make it out this time around; too much other stuff going on at the moment. But keep us posted of future outings please - I'm sure I'll join up eventually! Good luck, and post pix of your catches please! Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
  18. M

kayak fishing

OK I'll definitely keep that in mind! Anyone from up island planning or interested in heading down next weekend? I'd be happy to pick you up (have room for one more boat and plenty of gear) from Nanaimo or anywhere south... Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
  19. M

kayak fishing

I'm a long-time sea kayaker, now based in Nanaimo, and have paddled most of the way around Vancouver Island (although not all at once...yet!). Just got into kayak fishing and got myself at fishing kayak (OK, I won it at least year's kayak fishing derby!). I've been out a few times so far this...
Back