Search results

1. F

2020 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Nice... beautiful pic, brings back sooooo many sweet memories, although I am getting this sickening feeling that we won't be able to go this year... hope the feeling goes away soon.
  2. F

Sable Fish

I have heard of Black Cod (Sablefish) being caught in the Strait in recent years. Smaller, younger fish... which makes you wonder if the Salish Sea is a feeding area for the early life history of this species. Adults are generally caught in very deep water off the coast.
  3. F

2019 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

I will echo the sentiment of WA anglers being afforded the opportunity to fish in BC waters. I make one trip every year to Esperanza and take my son, my brother, my friend, whoever can go, in a given year. We spend one week in Canada (BC) and we thoroughly enjoy our trips. I make sure that...
  4. F

Quick release flashers

Does anybody have experience with the Gibbs Farr Better Flasher? This is their version of the break-away flasher
  5. F

2019 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

What/where is Cooptee?
  6. F

Scotty Electric Downrigger warped Spool..... from wire?

Follow-up... Scotty came through with a new spool... loaded with 300 feet of braid. Awesome! Now there is a company I can be loyal to.
  7. F

Scotty Electric Downrigger warped Spool..... from wire?

I have two HP 2106 Scotty downriggers with lots of hours on them and this exact same thing happened to me earlier this month. My units are in their 9th year of use. I use 400 feet of Scotty braid on both of mine. Was fishing Esperanza 2nd week in July and one of the riggers started to "become...
  8. F

Replacement hooks - your "go to"

Often, manufacturers don't put the best hooks on their retail products. Example would be a brand new, in-the-package spoon with "whatever" make hook on it that automatically needs to be replaced before it even comes close to your tackle box. What hook make do you go to? Mustad? Owner...
  9. F

Next round of closures SRKW related

This was my reference to marine waters shared by both our countries and by the SRKWs... simply trying to be "inclusive" with regard to our common issues.
  10. F

Fish ID please

Neat pic, thanks for sharing
  11. F

Next round of closures SRKW related

Like it or not these animals have evolved to spend about half of each year in the Salish Sea. The U.S. and Canada, Washington state and BC, share responsibility for these animals. Current abundance does not tell the full story. There are only 3 or 4 or 5 females of reproductive age remaining...
  12. F

Lets talk Downrigger Braid

Almost forgot... these last couple years I have been using a Spro barrel swivel and I like this one the best.
  13. F

Granny or simple over-hand knot. Just connecting the two ends of the tuna cord... and knot can't be so large that it won't fit through eye on ball. I have used Berkley swivels and Matzuo swivels, both with excellent results. Something in the 100 to 200 lb. test range. As long as you are...
  14. F

Another vote for simpler is better... Downrigger Braid of choice tied to a quality barrel swivel (change this out if it even starts to look a bit funky but at least once a year) Run a length of tuna cord (approx 10 feet) through swivel... tie two ends cord together with granny knot... end to...
  15. F

Trolling and Casting Flies for Salmon

Watching You Tube videos about tying salmon flies can be addicting... don't ask me how I know that
  16. F

Trolling and Casting Flies for Salmon

I tie my own tube flies and troll them... much the same as a flash fly, etc.
  17. F

Too much TIME not enough MONEY OR too much MONEY not enough TIME?

There was a time when first starting out... career and family... when time and money were both in short supply. In order to make the money condition better there are increasing work responsibilities with additional constraints on time. I cannot speak from experience but I assume that it works...
  18. F

Any interest in Matrixx, Michigan Stinger and Titan spoons

Those are some nice colors/patterns. Not looking to purposely undercut anybody on price, so I could go $6 for spoons I have for sale... if anything strikes your fancy
  19. F

Any interest in Matrixx, Michigan Stinger and Titan spoons

All great products. I tried to include pics showing the ruler so you can get a sense of size... generally these are the larger spoons, particularly the Magnum Stingers (4.5 inches) and the Blue Chrome Matrixx, which is a whopping 6 inches long. The Titans are 5.5 inches long... and I am...
Back