Search results

1. G

2023 Gulf Island Reports

Probably finished off fishing this year with our limit of 3 lings and a bonus spring at Porlier on Saturday. Weather permitting might get out off Nanaimo once or twice during Oct to search for clipped coho. Another productive and enjoyable season; sure love where I live.
  2. G

2023 Gulf Island Reports

Still wondering if there are any reports from Porlier. Is it worth trying for some Coho post Lingcod fishing this weekend? Thanks in advance.
  3. G

2023 Nanaimo Reports

Shhhh... Don't tell everyone that. The good side is usually less busy as people use the one closer to the end of the channel; at least I guess that's the reason people use that side.
  4. G

2023 Nanaimo Reports

You guys did better than I did. Went out for the afternoon slack and didn't catch anything worth mentioning. Sighting a couple of porpoises was the most interesting thing that happened.
  5. G

2023 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Yeah, I'm always more ok with them losing fish while on the rod. If it's me on the rod... well I've probably said a few things I shouldn't have.
  6. G

2023 Comox Valley-Comox Harbour, Kitty Coleman, Cape Lazo, Denman & Hornby Islands

Saw gas is about that in Euros in Spain and Italy (50% more) so a matter of perspective.
  7. G

2023 Gulf Island Reports

Anyone finding salmon in the Porlier area???
  8. G

Coho or Chinook??

Caught a fish a few years ago in Barkley Sound. Bonked it and counted it as one of our Chinook. After we got back to the ramp and started cleaning I looked at it more carefully and I wasn't convinced. It kinda looked like a pink, with big oval shaped spots, but it was about 9 lbs as I remember...
  9. G

2023 Nanaimo Reports

Nice work. You still fishing out front? I'd assume so since you didn't mention Entrance. I'd agree with the late season fishing; I usually figure a week into Sep at best locally, but this year seems to be holding on.
  10. G

2023 Nanaimo Reports

A few hours at Entrance today produced a couple of 70ish cm springs (One immature; would have been a great fish next year), one pink, two released wild coho, and some undersized. Both springs on 6" plugs after we got tired of releasing the undersized.
  11. G

2023 Nanaimo Reports

I've been away for 3 weeks and would like to put a couple more chinook in the freezer (or on the smoker) before winter. So what do you guys think is the most productive spot at the moment? Fingers or Entrance? Thanks in advance.
  12. G

Downrigger fire

I had a fuse, but it didn't blow (at least initially until the fire started; I'll have to check before getting a new rigger going). And I don't have a battery switch; is that more of an inboard thing? My boat does get through the winter with very little use and the battery doesn't run down...
  13. G

Downrigger fire

Yeah, me too. As much as it sucks looking at a fried rigger and a 6" patch of burned fiberglass, knowing that it could have been so much worse makes me gratefull.
  14. G

Downrigger fire

This could have easily been the result. If it had really got rolling I would have been pulling the boat away from the house, unhooking the tow vehicle, and watching it burn.
  15. G

Downrigger fire

Not sure if this is the right sub-forum for this, so if the mods want to move it, please do. Anyway I had my boat parked in my driveway while I was cleaning my fish yesterday. Before I got back to my boat, my neighbor (thank goodness) knocked on the door to tell me there was a fire on the...
  16. G

2023 Nanaimo Reports

Hit 3 nice chinooks over the afternoon slack yesterday (biggest 78cm) the last after we shallowed up our gear and tried going faster for coho.
  17. G

2023 Nanaimo Reports

Yeah, I think that's the case. I often find that we have a really low slack in the middle of the day and big change/ current as a result, a short sharp bite in the evening.
  18. G

2023 Nanaimo Reports

Nice fish. So based on our experiences last night I've got exactly 1 minute to scare up a fish for our guest visiting from Germany. Tide Change is 8:51 and sunset is 8:52. Will have to give it a go.
  19. G

2023 Nanaimo Reports

Pretty slow evening for us at Fingers until the late evening tide change tonight. Then the upper slot fish decided it was time for a pre bed snack and it was on. Came home with fat 76 and a 78 cm fish.
  20. G

2023 Nanaimo Reports

With 15 lb cannon balls at 200 or so on the rigger I'm not hitting bottom at 150. Not sure how much cable I'd have to let out given the increased angle created by doing that to actually get to 200 feet; that's probably doable, but it'd be about the limit... at least the way I'm fishing.
Back