Search results

1. Fisherman Rob

What’s this tube for?

Anyone know what this grey painted rubber tube is for that goes from the motor mount into the lower unit? I had my water pump replaced and it came back from the shop disconnected. I didn’t notice until after taking the boat out in the ocean. I reconnected it, but not sure what the consequence...
  2. Fisherman Rob

Tsartlip Boat Ramp Reopening

Looks like we have another ramp option in Saanich again! https://tsartlip.com/tsartlip-boat-ramp-reopening/ Not sure about fees though. $15 launch. $15 parking. Does that mean $30 total or does the launch fee include parking for tow vehicle and trailer? If mot that’s really expensive!
  3. Fisherman Rob

Lake Cowichan camping and boating

Going to be camping at Gordon Bay for a couple of nights and will bring our 17’ boat if the weather forecast is good. Can anyone recommend any nice beaches on the lake to visit? Any good fishing spots?
  4. Fisherman Rob

Transom pad for kicker

I need a new transom pad for my kicker. I've seen one at my local marine shop for about $60. Seems a lot to spend on a chunk of rubber though. I'm considering getting a truck mud flap from Can Tire for $30 and using that. Anyone have any other ideas? Maybe a transom pad isn't necessary?
  5. Fisherman Rob

12lb DR balls Victoria area

Anyone know where to get a 12 lb finned downrigger ball in the Victoria area right now?
  6. Fisherman Rob

Low vs high water slack

I've always followed my dads advice: best chance to catch a salmon is usually first low water slack tide after dawn. Going to get out off Oak Bay or Vic maybe later this month for last fish before licence expires end of March, however looks like its a high water slack weekends in the...
  7. Fisherman Rob

Kicker stalled and wont start

The other day my 2006 Yamaha 6hp stalled on me while trolling. It stopped running very suddenly and would not start again. A couple of months ago I replaced a fuel filter that had a crack in it and otherwise it's been running perfectly since. I notice that the fuel filter has a bubble of air...
  8. Fisherman Rob

Transom ladder input

I am thinking of installing a three step transom ladder to starboard on my Double Eagle 175. I'm anticipating it will be a bit of a challenge given the bait locker located right close to the transom where the upper through bolts will fasten, will see how that goes... There are two ladders from...
  9. Fisherman Rob

Heat shrink tubing using hairdryer?

Anyone know if heat shrink tubing like these Gardner ones will work with a 1200w hairdryer?
  10. Fisherman Rob

Wanted: 12 lb downrigger ball Victoria

Anyone have any for sale right now?
  11. Fisherman Rob

Replace fuel connect?

I have a Yamaha 6 that developed a fuel leak at the connector on the engine. I am replacing the female connector, but the male connector looks a but suspect. Should i try clean it up (wire brush?) or replace it? Anyone rplaced one of these? Easy job for a DIY er? No special tools required?
  12. Fisherman Rob

US Military Jamming GPS Feb and March

Apparently only between 11 and 2am eastern, but worth noting. https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/02/dod-red-flag-exercise-ushers-in-gps-jamming-season-across-west/
  13. Fisherman Rob

Green dye running from braid

I was given a new reel pre-loaded with braided line. I do not know what brand of braid it is, but I've found that the green dye runs from it when fishing. I end up with green dye on my fingers and hands when fishing it. Is this normal?
  14. Fisherman Rob

Gibbs stainless downrigger wire

Bought 400' of Gibbs stainless downrigger wire and put 200' onto each DR this spring. It was a little cheaper than Scotty wire. I notice that there is already a significant amount of rust coating the wire. Surprised to see this forming already. Anyone else find this?
  15. Fisherman Rob

Bilge pump wiring

My bilge pump stopped working recently. Turned out the black wire had separated. I was surprised to find it still turns on using the test switch on the pump though. How could that be possible? The brown and brown/white wires lead off into a tangle, one of which is wired directly to battery 2+.
  16. Fisherman Rob

1996 Yamaha 9.9 HT (needs mid section)

1996 Yamaha 9.9 high thrust xl shaft electric start tiller. Was a very reliable trolling motor until cooling water stopped. Replaced water pump at SG Power, however turns out corrosion in mid-section is blocking cooling water reaching the cylinder heads. $250 OBO. In Victoria.
  17. Fisherman Rob

Wanted: Yamaha 8 or 9.9

In Victoria, looking for a trolling motor. Preferably: Yamaha 8 or 9.9 4 stroke high thrust around 2008 or newer electric start / charging tiller
  18. Fisherman Rob

Thinking about building a dock

Anybody know if using pressure treated 3x2x8 built-up beams is an issue in salt water? Thinking of something approx 8'x18'. For the bracing and cross bracing, I'm wondering about using landscape ties, thinking that they might be better than 2x8 on the flat, but I'm not sure of their structural...
  19. Fisherman Rob

Synthetic two stroke oil

Thinking of switching to synthetic oil for my Yamaha 115 two stroke. Anyone have any suggestions on brand and where to purchase around Victoria? Can you get it cheaper online?
  20. Fisherman Rob

Tie up at Sooke Rotary Pier?

Anyone know if you could tie a 17' boat at the Sooke Rotary Pier while grocery shopping at Village Foods?
Back