Search results

1. S

Advice needed for a new Battery Switch

When I rewired my Hourston 18 (Yamaha 115), my research revealed that using a switchable circuit breaker can do double duty as both wire/circuit protection and a battery switch, especially if space is tight and you are only using a single battery (both applied to my situation). I have been...
  2. S

Chinook Management Measures - Areas 11 to 20, 111, and Subareas 29-1 to 29-5 - Effective April 1, 2024

This thread will devolve into unproductive fighting just like the halibut regulations thread, which the administrator shut down yesterday. How long will the administrator let this one go before shutting it down?
  3. S

2024 Halibut Fisheries Notice

Keep the season open longer and focus on smaller fish. Halibut less than 90 cm still provide some great meals.
  4. S

Looking for a gaff

Trotac has lots, in many lengths, if you’re looking for a new one.
  5. S

Big Fish - Big Spoons or Plugs?

I fish Sooke and have tried plugs. Nothing. (And I only use dummy flashers.) I suppose if I used a plug around Sooke long enough, I might catch one. But when fish are being caught with everything except plugs, it’s hard to put in a lot time to be able to say “I caught one on a plug”. As I said...
  6. S

To illustrate how different it can be, I suspect that this ratio is reversed in Sooke. Outside of Swifsure Bank near Port Renfrew, I’ve never caught a spring on a plug. And while I’m sure it has happened, it’s very rare. Based on what I’ve heard, it’s all bait, spoons and hootchies.
  7. S

Of course people can use whatever (legal) gear they like: I wasn’t suggesting otherwise. Similarly, the variables that determine success at catching fish are numerous. But people offer their experiences and opinions about what works better than something else. And these experiences and opinions...
  8. S

Interesting how you rarely use flashers. I only use dummy flashers off the downrigger balls, and we do fine. But the debate on that issue is fierce. Some guys agree with me that you catch just as well with dummy flashers and playing the fish without a flasher on the line is so much better. Other...
  9. S

Coop marked gas with ethanol.

It’s obviously a problem for you, and part of a much bigger political problem in your view.
  10. S

Mine is 137 L and I’ll leave it close to empty if I’m not going to be fishing, say December, January and February, but I’ll add stabilizer and ethanol treatment for this period. But I find i go through a fair bit the rest of the year and the gas never stays in there long. Of course it depends on...
  11. S

Your favorite Spoons

I suspect that’s a very rare event. I’ve seen it very occasionally with mine.
  12. S

If I am at a marina that has marked, I’ll definitely buy it. If not, I’ll buy regular and throw in some seafoam from time to time. Not worth worrying about. As I said in a previous post, the key to solving the ethanol problem is to not let it sit. So I’m going to fish more and run my boat more.
  13. S

Your favorite Spoons

Yes they are. We’ve done well with them.
  14. S

Your favorite Spoons

We’ve done well with the top one. Don’t have the bottom one.
  15. S

https://www.peninsulaco-op.com/services/petroleum/ Peninsula Co-op’s website says: As of October 1, 2023, we offer the following: Regular gasoline – 87 octane; contains 10% ethanol, known as E10. Mid-grade gasoline – 89 octane; contains 10% ethanol, known as E10. Premium gasoline – 91 octane...
  16. S

I called around and it appears that all the Peninsula Co-op marked gas in Southern Vancouver Island now contains up to 10% ethanol. They even have signs on the pumps that explain the change, so it is definitely an across-the-board decision. I’m going to use regular 87 octane and supplement with...
  17. S

Smaller boats to avoid buying

I’ve only had 2 boats, a 16 foot Double Eagle and now an 18 foot Hourston. Both excellent, but the Hourston has a hard top and my Double Eagle had nothing overhead, not even canvas. I love some weather protection. The Hourston rides incredibly smoothly and is extremely safe. It’s tremendous.
  18. S

Early Halibut Opening

It’s open tomorrow. February 3.
  19. S

Everyday post a photo of a reel you own.

Refurbished and retrofitted with one way drags. Traditional and fun.
  20. S

Marine surveyor victoria - sooke

David Homer in Sooke is excellent.
Back