Search results

1. mbowers

Incompetent whale watching boat operation

Good to see somebody make one of them accountable for reckless boating. "Prince of Whales Holdings Ltd. was found to have operated its vessel in an incompetent manner" https://www.nsnews.com/highlights/bc-whale-watching-operator-owes-boater-new-barbecue-7358168
  2. mbowers

Whale watchers cramming in to Sooke Basin

A mere 7 whale watching boats jammed into Sooke Basin today all at one time. Wonder if they affected the orcas' behaviour at all 🙄 Whale watcher parade video
  3. mbowers

Otter proofing fenders

I was wondering how my boat lift sustained damaged after months of no issues with fenders in place. I added some more fenders thinking it was my fault. This morning I noticed the damage was probably caused by an otter pulling the very fender I thought wasn't enough on to the dock! Security cam...
  4. mbowers

Teasers for bucktailing

A flyrod bucktail was getting a few hits while fishing spoons on downriggers so decided to go all in on bucktails and surface fishing. Inspired by trolling in FL, I put dummy flashers on the downriggers and swapped the 15lb cannon balls for 2lb balls so the flashers would be 10ft back and near...
  5. mbowers

Current used boat markup

I'm looking at a 24ft aluminum boat that was listed new in 2019 with a local Victoria dealer for 170k. Dual axle trailer, extra warranty, windlass and bottom paint were added. Is 15k, 4k, 2k, 2k about right for those? Is a 2019 total about 195k accurate? Main is around 100hrs and condition...
  6. mbowers

BC Herbal medicine company illegally imported shark fins

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/b-c-herbal-medicine-company-fined-75-000-for-importing-fins-of-protected-sharks-1.5745241 In case any of you were concerned about the sustainability of your herbal medicine sources. :)
  7. mbowers

Salmon cysts don't need oxygen

Interesting article on salmon cysts salminicola and how they don't need oxygen. https://www.iflscience.com/plants-and-animals/the-first-known-animal-that-doesnt-need-to-breathe-has-been-found-inside-salmon/
  8. mbowers

Parking a detached trailer on a hill

What's the consensus on leaving a detached trailer on the street on a medium slope hill with just a chock behind the wheel? Busy pedestrian area with a T intersection one block below trailer. Dangerous or no big deal? Asking for a neighbour who is currently doing this.
  9. mbowers

Fresh duck at Fairway's in Victoria

Flyer says 3.99/lb but at the Shelbourne and Cedar Hill X Rd location the ducks were only 2.99/lb today. Since I don't recall seeing fresh duck before I grabbed a pair of them.
  10. mbowers

Pink salmon impacts on orcas

Interesting observation of the two year frequency of orca deaths / births that correlates with pink salmon abundance. Also odd year pinks are becoming even more dominant. https://globalnews.ca/news/4866618/salmon-killer-whale-orca/amp/...
  11. mbowers

Ganges / Long Harbour Saltspring day docking

I'm planning to day trip on Sat and just looking for more information on day dockage in the harbour. Boat is 19ft. This mentions only 10m of transient dockage at Ganges Kanaka. Doesn't seem like much. http://saltspringharbours.com/ganges-harbour/
  12. mbowers

Marinas selling food for seal feeding

Just dropped off a head at Oak Bay Marina and noticed the Marina is still selling chopped herring to feed the seals at the dock. A couple of people were feeding the seals from the docks right next to the signs that say DO NOT FEED the seals. Wasn't this dangerous and unethical behaviour...
  13. mbowers

Beware freshwater and electricity

Electricity in freshwater is actually a lot more dangerous than salt because the higher resistance gives a much larger sphere of influence. Biologists can't electro fish in salt because it's too conductive...
  14. mbowers

Instant Pot for crab

The Instant Pot is a great crab steamer IMHO. I can fit 4 cleaned Dungeness in the 6 qt model. High pressure for 6 mins and then take it outside to force vent and chill with cold water. Basically no smell in the house!
  15. mbowers

DFO rules on shellfish bait

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/shellfish-coquillages-eng.html Bait: Only fish offal, herring, mackerel, northern anchovy and Pacific sardine may be used as bait. No other finfish may be used as bait So that looks like salmon or bottomfish heads and bones are illegal (only gut pile is...
  16. mbowers

F150 backup alarm compatible hitch and ball

My 2015 F150 has a much more sensitive backup alarm than the 2006 when a trailer is not there so I have been hunting for a hitch and ball that work. After trying several that are not compatible, this style of adjustable hitch sits close to the bumper and does not trigger the alarm in my truck...
  17. mbowers

On water towing service experience

We had a motor not starting and suspected a run down battery. Trim motor sounded like it had enough power so we just need a jump start. A local tow service company offered a jump start. Nothing, not even a partial crank like before cables were attached. Checked the cables in our boat and we...
  18. mbowers

Durrance Lake

Been out twice in last week. Fishing was good and got hot today. Red Carey working great on intermediate clear line. Sight fishing for cruisers was good in shallow ends. A couple of brood stock to 16" including one that jumped well and put up a Kamloops style battle. No fins though. I...
  19. mbowers

Cheap herring Wholesale Club Esquimalt

Probably get hate mail from bait stores for posting but I found 1kg bags of frozen whole Pacific herring 7-8" for $3.97 (buy 3 bags price cash / debit only) with no tax as they are sold for human food at Wholesale Club in Esquimalt. There's about 10 herring per bag. No idea how well they...
  20. mbowers

Prospect Lake report

Windy and water was dirty at a temp of 49F. Fished from 930 to 1230 to go k4/5 on rainbows with intermediate line and a #10 burgundy Carey taking 4 of those close to ramp. Almost nothing on sounder. About 7 boats out.
Back