Search results

1. W

Jimmy Buffet

Jimmy Buffet passed away yesterday. He introduced several generations to Parrot Head Madness and Tropical Hedonism He was a consumate musician and an addicted flyfisher. A few of us were able to meet him when he spent a day chasing winter run Steelhead on the Cowichan River in 1993. I will...
  2. W

Pinks in campbell river 2023

Has the low warm water stopped the usual influx of pinks into the Campbell?
  3. W

Cold Smoked Pink Salmon

Is it worth the time and effort to cold smoke Pink Salmon?
  4. W

Puntledge River

Just wondering how guys were doing on the Puntledge?
  5. W

Set of 4 Hankook Dyanapro Atm tires Size P265/75R16

I have a set of 4 winter rated tires for sale. Used 1 winter. Not on rims. I am located in Campbell river. Looking for $350.00 replacement is $660.00 plus tax
  6. W

Cowichan River

Anybody fishing the Cowichan these days?
  7. W

Shelterlogic Garage in a box

I have a brand new 12 x 24 x 8 Portable shelter. Retails for $900.00 at Cdn Tire. The framing has been put together but cover and tiedowns have not been out of the box. Bought it to cover a 22 ft trailer but it is a bit tight for that. Ideal to cover a smaller boat or car. First $200 takes it...
  8. W

Campbell River Pinks 2021

Looks like the season is rapidly approaching. I've been out prospecting some of my usual places on the river with my 6 wt. There is the odd fish coming in but there doesn't appear to be any schools. Was out on Wednesday and fished 6 different parts of the river. Hooked and released 2 small pinks...
  9. W

How to tell if you are a Steel Head Bum!

Certain beliefs and behaviours identify if you might be a Steel Head Bum! - If you spend more money chasing Steel Head than you like to admit too, - If you have ever lost or quit a job because it interfered with chasing Steel Head, - if you have more Steel Head rods than you can comfortably...
  10. W

Salmon River /Vancouver Island

I'm relatively new to the North Island but I'm a bit of a Steel Head Bum. I'm planning on trying to fish the Salmon River and could use some basic info, nothing about honey holes or favorite spots. From the little I've been able to glean via the internet, it seems like there is a lot of...
  11. W

Do we need a new way of influencing the fisheries minister

So yes I am an old fart in my 70th year and I tend to rant and ramble. But I believe that we as sport fishers need to re-evaluate how we react to DFO Policy and our new Fisheries Minister. Over the last 20 years we have seen a decline in our fishery and our ability to influence and be included...
  12. W

Cowichan River

Anyone having luck on the Cowichan since it opened?
  13. W

Beulah Rods Warranty

Anybody have any experience dealing with Beulah Rods over warranty issues? I have a Beulah 7wt Spey Rod that is 2 years old. I have only used it to fish Chums and It's only been out of the case about a dozen times. I went out Saturday to fish Chums. 3rd cast I hooked a Chum. Not an overly big...
  14. W

Cowichan River

Just wondering if the Cowichan River is open? According to the regs it appears to be closed from Marie canyon down. There is no info in the in=season changes as to whether it will be open for any type of salmon fishing. In previous years we seen openings and announcements before this time.
  15. W

DFO opens The Campbell River for Chinook Retention

DFO , in their infinite wisdom have opened the Campbell River for retention of 2 Chinook per day from September 20 to October 31. The Campbell has not been open for Chinook retention in recent history. So much for DFO's commitment to conservation. After a summer saltwater closure that made no...
  16. W

Campbell River Pinks

Time to ask the yearly question, anyone seeing Pinks. I've walked a bunch of the river every second day for the last week. Have seen the odd lone pink but no schools. Should be close to time for them. Water conditions are real low.
  17. W

Campbell River Pinks

I know its early but someone has to start this post. Any signs of Pinks in the Campbell and Quinsam system?
  18. W

40 Lb Drift Boat Anchor

I have a 40 lb pyramid shape drift boat anchor. Local dealer wants $15o.00 plus tax. I want $120.00.
  19. W

Best place to get pork belly in Victoria South Island Area

I've been salivating over the making bacon thread and would like to try it myself. Any hints on the best place to buy pork belly on the south island and what they should cost? Thanks
  20. W

Campbell River

I know its a couple of weeks early, but any sign of pinks off the beach or in the river?
Back