Search results

1. R

Vacation in British Columbia/ Alberta - some kindly questions

Golden and Valemont are not known as trout fishing spots. Kamloops is the spot. Check out Highway 24 between Little Fort and Lone Butte, 100km of trout lakes and fishing resorts. You can rent a small boat at most resorts, much better than standing on shore. Higher elevation lakes in July make...
  2. R

Water Taxi Crash

🤣
  3. R

Rescued a broken down boat and boater - some lessons learned.

Like the guy at the power squadron course told me: The Pleasure Craft Operators Card will get you ON the water, Power Squadron Courses will get you back OFF the water…
  4. R

Hook reveal series sonar charts

I think it’s a software issue. I upgraded to a Lowrance Elite FS this spring, and bought a Navionics SD card to go with it, (my phone and iPad already had Navionics so I wanted to stay with what I knew.) The Navionics card wouldn’t work until I put it in a PC and registered and loaded data from...
  5. R

Wanted Yamaha 703 control box

Someone on Facebook marketplace in Courtenay posted one for sale yesterday. $350
  6. R

Advice / Suggestions Please...

Just a bit off topic, I was looking at your new boat, (looks like a keeper) and noticed that someone has painted the zinc anode just above the propeller. Makes the boat look shinier but a really bad idea. The anode has to be bare metal to do its job, which is to sacrifice itself for the rest of...
  7. R

Transom Saver?

I have a motor support for my Yamaha 115 which is simply a hardened rubber sleeve that slides over the port-side trim ram piston and prevents the motor from lowering more than 45 degrees from above vertical. Yamaha sells one for their motors, M-Y WEDGE is another manufacturer that fits most...
  8. R

Trailer tire replacement

Princess Auto has 12” galvanized rim and tire combos on sale for $80 each. Maybe check your tire pressure first, it should be about 50psi, they tend to overheat when under inflated as there is too much flex in the sidewall. Easier and cheaper than upsizing, 13” and up means 5 bolt hubs will...
  9. R

Where and How to install downriggers?

Here’s one way to attach them, added bonus, no holes to drill.
  10. R

ARMY & NAVY closing permanently

I’d be surprised if there is much of anything on their shelves come sale day. Last two times I was in the New West store, spring of 2019 and spring 2020, the shelves were already pretty bare. When I asked why so little stock I was told they were doing an inventory count, yeah right. I’ve been...
  11. R

Canadian west coast nav chart/atlas.

The Canadian Hydrographic Service (Cdn. Gov.) publishes charts for all coastal waters around Canada. They are actually required on your boat if you are in a specific waterway. Most marine stores stock a selection of the area they are in. I see you are from Small Town, AB. so you’ll probably...
  12. R

Boats on Used Victoria and Other Areas

I don’t think scammy nessessarily,but definitely New Canadian, not that there’s anything wrong with that.
  13. R

Canvas fastener thread - unusual question

Sounds like the otter really likes your boat. I’m not sure any type of snap is going to deter him, he does have sharp retractable front claws and may just decide to slice up your brand new canvas to get to where he wants. He also has scent glands, so your boat probably smells like otter all...
  14. R

Sooke to Barkley Sound

In my opinion, seriously bad idea. 75 nautical miles marina to marina mostly in open water. Four hours minimum on a flat water day in a boat loaded with all your gear and 3 guys, and one motor. Even a brand new motor can fail ( bad gas, clogged fuel filters, etc.) The weather can change a lot in...
  15. R

Public launches

Especially tide dependent for a 24’ boat. Can’t speak for Number 2 road, but Captain’s Cove on the south arm is pretty much the same. You gotta pick your times.
  16. R

Moutcha Bay Late June, Thoughts?

Maybe a tad early, I was there July long weekend 2018 and saw no lines in the water before Maquinna Point which is about 18 nautical miles from Moutcha Bay Resort. But hey, with all that money you saved buying that 300K boat for 100K, you should be OK with the extra fuel bill, lol. Seriously...
  17. R

Marine Radio

If the volume control is a rotary knob try pulling it off and spraying contact cleaner on the actual control. Dirt and debris can collect on it and interrupt the connection. You can usually tell this is about to happen because it will crackle and pop when you go to adjust the volume, and...
  18. R

Favourite Fishing Accommodations for WCVI?

I ran my boat up from Gold River, and had a buddy bring the truck and camper to Moutcha Bay in July of 2018. Campsite was a bit small, but no biggy, not spending much time there anyways. Docks were first class, cleaning stations well serviced, power-washed at the end of each day, Showers and...
Back