Search results

1. Mako 22

Deep Dropping In The Straits

Anyone Halibut fished deep to 600 feet or more in the Straits in the past? Just looks fishy to me. I am wrapping two deep drop rods for use with 3 pound sinkers. Thought some of you would be interested in the process. Laying out underwraps Underwraps Roller tip that swivels...
  2. Mako 22

Barn Floor Rebuild (Covid Related)

Recently replaced rotten sills, joists and flooring in the hay storage area of an old barn. This barn was converted from the original homestead house to serve as hay & straw storage. So I decided to put a "time capsule" under the new floor to give the future property owners something to...
  3. Mako 22

Thoughts on buying and selling

deleted
  4. Mako 22

Ugly Tigers and Slammers: Stalking Coho

deleted
  5. Mako 22

Getting Old!

Installed an electric winch on the trailer today. Either the boat is becoming heavier or I am becoming weaker! Had to make a 1 inch thick spacer to raise the winch, it was a bit too long to fit the existing stand. Went to Costco this morning to buy a 27 Marine battery. Thought about...
  6. Mako 22

More on Halibut Rigs

Way back in the late 1970's I caught my first halibut on this California style rig. We used this type sinker in the California surf when fishing the beaches. 6 ounce sliding sinker, 10/0 Mustad hook, 4 feet of 60 pound Mono for leader, cheap swivel. The main line was 30 pound Dacron. Red...
  7. Mako 22

Stewart Spoon Question for the Tyee Experts

Found a Clendon Stewart No. 8. Shown with a Gibbs No 7. Note the lack of a swivel. Bothered me for a moment, then I googled a bit and found this thread where it was mentioned the action would be speeded up if you removed the swivel...
  8. Mako 22

Tomic Ebay Score

Showed up in the mail today. 6 inch no. 168, same color pattern as the famous no. 60 "Army Truck" hoochie. New old stock, never used, no hooks. Now if the virus lockdown would just go away I will put a couple to good use out in the Straits!
  9. Mako 22

Those Darn Split Rings!

I hate them. A cure below. Some tools and ingredients: The old reliable acetylene/air torch, it produces a flame hot enough to get the job done. This outfit is over 75 years old, it was my fathers. Handy for a lot of things. Stainless steel rings, 8/0 hooks, 6 inch white hoochies...
  10. Mako 22

Restoring the Ancient Calcutta Rod

This is about a rod built sometime in the 1950's or 1960's in the San Diego area. I purchased it at yard sale last fall here in Port Angeles. The elderly owner had moved to Port Angeles after retiring from his job in San Diego. The rod is simply a Calcutta cane that has eyes wrapped on...
  11. Mako 22

Peetz Sliding Sinkers

Are they still available? Would like to buy some for fishing with my "retro" gear, lucky louies and such. Searched the net and cannot find any. Photo from 2013, on another forum.
  12. Mako 22

No. 7 Gibbs Stewart

deleted
  13. Mako 22

Two Interesting Plugs: Tyee Dave, Take a Look

More junk shop finds. A Highliner and plug looking as it were turned from a broomstick. Looks as the Highliner plug was never rigged. It is through wired all the way, from the swivel at the lip to the peened over end at the tail point. And note the lack of taper at the front. Front of...
  14. Mako 22

Fires in B.C.

Wow, you gents must be having a bad fire season. The winds are pushing the smoke to Port Angeles and up against the Olympics. My neighbors barn is about 150 yards away and I can see a smoke haze between my house and his barn!
  15. Mako 22

Found! No. 8 Gibbs Stewarts

I was surfing ebay and found 7 No. 8 Gibbs Stewarts for sale. I bought 4 a few minutes ago: 3 left. Go get 'em Campbell River Guys!
  16. Mako 22

More Halibut For Those North Of The Border

Our joke continues here in WA State: Seasons just keep getting shorter and shorter. 3 days for halibut season in 2017! May 4 Thursday May 6 Saturday May 11 Thursday Throw in a Gale or two and our season will be 1 day at best! As the halibut swim around a lot you should have more on your...
  17. Mako 22

Flare Guns

I have searched and found nothing definitive. Is a Flare Gun (specifically the Orion red 12 ga) legal in British Columbia Waters? I have heard conflicting comments. I just do not want to be surprised in June when I run the boat over to your side from Port Angeles. Thanks!
  18. Mako 22

Halibut Season 2016

I plan on fishing your side of the Straits this summer for Halibut due to our very short season and the impossibility of an enjoyable experience at out boat launch facilities: Meaning a complete Zoo at the ramps!!! Besides I like to fish in July and August, nicer weather. I likely will fish...
  19. Mako 22

Shovel Nose Louie

Is this a shovel nose? Or this? Looks like a Tomic but ad says Louie Maybe this one? I just bought the below plugs on ebay, any shovels in the group? I plan on rigging with bead chain. Is there a better way? (Do not know how that east coast striped bass lure wound up with a bunch...
  20. Mako 22

Rigging A Herring Behind A Flasher, Commercial Style

This link is a good tutorial on fishing a whole herring behind a flasher. http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=56205 I rig a little different than shown in the tutorial. Not as much work and IMHO the herring lasts longer. And it does not use that expensive crow bar hook, although I...
Back