Search results

1. TyeeSlayer

2019 Winter Harbour Reports

We were up in Quatsino Aug 16 to 22. Fished exclusively at Cliffe Point near the nav light. Found the fish bite was sporadic and short lived. Coho were on the smallish side for what I would have expected for this time of year, with only one weighing in at 10 lbs. Caught two decent chinook at 20...
  2. TyeeSlayer

Heading up to Quatsino on Aug 16 for a weeks fishing with old school buddies. Hope the action picks up and the weather cooperates.
  3. TyeeSlayer

Just back after fishing in Quatsino/Winter harbour from Aug 2 to 7. The trip started out very promising with an arrival day late afternoon fishing & shakedown cruise at Cliffe Point, managing to pick up a 15 lb spring and a small coho, right near the navigation light. The rest of the trip we...
  4. TyeeSlayer

Heading up to Quatsino on August 2 for a few days of fishing. I'm hoping that fishing is as good as it was reported for earlier in July. I noticed that in FN0672 the Commercial fishery for chinook is opening offshore in Areas 123 to 127 on August 1. The FN0672 does not contain the 80cm size...
  5. TyeeSlayer

2018 Winter Harbour Reports

My observations about crabbing in the Quatsino /Winter Harbour area: 1) I have observed that Dungeness crab are found in the bays where a salmon bearing stream empties into salt water, so any bay with a stream or river emptying into it that has a terminal salmon fishery should also have crab...
  6. TyeeSlayer

Just back from our final trip of the season. Arrived at Coal Harbour just as the heavy rains were ending and had a week of gorgeous fall weather to enjoy. The fishing was slow inside. There was a short, concentrated bite on both the incoming and outgoing tide each day at Cliff Point at the...
  7. TyeeSlayer

Heading up to Quatsino on Friday with a small group. We hope to fish from Saturday until Wednesday, and we also hope to get outside if the weather permits. I saw that DFO announced a commercial opening for chinook in 127, so there must be some around, as well as some early chum. Hopefully, we...
  8. TyeeSlayer

Just back from Quatsino as well … fished the long weekend through to Wednesday Sept 5 … Koprino & Koskimo Bays worked for us, for decent sized and aggressive coho. … we also found some 2 year old chinook on the highway, 10 to 12 lbs and one 24 lb fish, but you have to set your gear deep ( 150...
  9. TyeeSlayer

Probably run across you at Cliffe Point … our boat has a distinctive burgundy awning at the back. See you out there! Tight lines!
  10. TyeeSlayer

Heading up to fish Sept 1 through to Sept 5. Hoping to luck into some late season chinook, in addition to the coho that I hear are still around. I'll report on our trip once I get back home.
  11. TyeeSlayer

Yeah … fishing is a humbling experience and choice of handle was prior to having much experience in this area … too much arrogance on my part … still, we are managing one tyee per season, so something to look forward to!
  12. TyeeSlayer

Back from fishing Quatsino Aug 11 to 15. Group of seven novices, so we stayed inside to avoid chumming! Found it unusually crowded at Cliffe Point in the mornings - one of my friends counted 55 boats from the light to Harvey Cove … a bumper boat gong show. We did get our limit of nice size coho...
  13. TyeeSlayer

Heading up to Quatsino tomorrow and hope to be fishing Saturday through Wednesday. Haven't heard anything more about sockeye, but I understand they are out there somewhere. Also, lots of coho and chinook in the area. I'll post a report when I'm back as we are off the grid until then ( by choice! ).
  14. TyeeSlayer

Just back from a weeks fishing in Quatsino ( July 21 to 25 ). Late posting as we stopped in the BC interior for a while. Chinook were hard to find, and appeared to be scattered, not in a large school. We caught an 18 pounder on the humps west of the lighthouse, the remaining few were caught at...
  15. TyeeSlayer

Heading up there tomorrow afternoon for a weeks fishing. Staying in Quatsino. Hoping the winds die down a bit. We will be in an aluminun 30 ft Wolffe boat with wine a coloured awning. I'll report back after our trip as we don't have internet.
  16. TyeeSlayer

2017 Winter Harbour Reports

Just back from Quatsino. The weather was fantastic but it was a challenging trip. The commercial fleet started fishing July 27 in Area 127 targeting chinook but also retaining chum and pinks. Sat July 29 our first day, gale force winds forced most boats to fish Cliffe Pt, pretty much bumper...
  17. TyeeSlayer

Heading up to Quatsino July 28. Planning to fish July 29 to Aug 2. Hope there is another wave of fishing passing through. Will report when we get back as we don't have internet at our camp.
  18. TyeeSlayer

You're right SF - the commercial guys are limited to fishing area 127 and it is plug only. Depending on how many boats there are and what tactics they are using, I generally do not want to get too close to them. Nearly got run over once and that was enough. We have our own modest fishing camp in...
  19. TyeeSlayer

Thanks for the great report Spring Fever! Heading up to Quatino next Friday July 28, but hear that the commercial fleet will also be trolling this area and that will most likely affect fishing. Sorry to hear that your crab trap got robbed - really a shame that people no longer respect others...
  20. TyeeSlayer

Just back from a week in Quatsino. We fished from June 24th to 27th, mainly on the outside. The weather was superb, but the wind made it sporty, and the water was like a washing machine. We would fish the 200 ft contour starting just past the humps NW of the lighthouse and trolled north to Lippy...
Back