Search results

1. Old Blue

Commercial Prawn opening West Vancouver Island

My guess would be between the 6th and 9th for Barkley Sound, usually the 1st full week of may there
  2. Old Blue

2024 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

I can ask my a friend what happened, he's on the Coast Guard hovercraft and usually has some good stories
  3. Old Blue

2024 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

You do know no retention of springs then right?
  4. Old Blue

@ 70 lb Hali on light gear - video

I'd use 50lb braid instead of 30...too easy for that braid to dig in on a good run....speaking from experience with fishing a 400 WN for tuna also you can pin down the drag a bit more. Just got a HD 400 and enjoying it.
  5. Old Blue

Herring stocks rebounding

Maybe instead of going with their mass July 1 opening they delay it 7-14 days to let other stocks pass by such as what's happening down in Southern BC and Washington?
  6. Old Blue

No early season....mid may is the start of commercial season in certain area among other "fisheries". Overall they had a 43% increase in #'s of Salmon harvested but the value of $ from 2022 dropped from $720.4 million to $398.6 mil in 2023 as per Alaska fish and Game. I'm totally ok if they...
  7. Old Blue

It'd make sense if they would agree to lower the catch #'s of the Alaskan Fleet, it would be pretty interesting to see over a full 5 yr cycle even a 10-15% reduction. Just look at last years closure results.
  8. Old Blue

Shimano Tranx 300 - 5.8 or 7.6 Gear Ratio?

Calcutta's are nice, I had a 401D but sold it. The lexa's are nicer for casting and the higher retrieve rate but again you'll cast much further with a spinning reel and that's coming from someone with a fair amount of experience using a conventional or levelwind.. Be prepared to get very good...
  9. Old Blue

Regular $450 on for $240
  10. Old Blue

Fred's in Chilliwack, I got the last one with the power handle but worth calling their Abbotsford store.
  11. Old Blue

Most stores are clearing out the Lexa's HD's right now, I grabbed one for 47% off MSRP. Hey J. Farrell the info that Whole In The Water suggested you'd be better off with a spinning reel for ease of casting is bang on, they also have less backlashes. You can also pair it with a longer rod with...
  12. Old Blue

2024 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

You answered your question I believe....until maybe Feb 16th. trophywife was very kind to give you an alternative suggestion right ;)
  13. Old Blue

Orcas hunting amongst swimmers and surfers

I can't remember for the life of me but I think it was one of the Seaforth Landing boats or other San Diego fishing users I follow that shared someone else's post but it was the Legacy Whalewatch boat.
  14. Old Blue

Orcas hunting amongst swimmers and surfers

There's been a big pod of orcas targeting porpoises off San Clemente Island for a few weeks now, some crazy whale watching boat footage I've seen on Instagram that's not for the feint of heart.
  15. Old Blue

Fishing lodges recommendations

Indeed Shawn hahaha but you forgot to add of a year and a half old dormant thread ;)
  16. Old Blue

BC needs some of these

Sure would be nice if we had some of these useful guys instead of the ones that just take cats and dogs. https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/scientists-id-mystery-killer-decapitated-142745274.html
  17. Old Blue

Mexico Fishing Trips

Loving your posts man, can't believe how good the fishing is.....Betty probably doesn't see you too much these days hahaha
  18. Old Blue

2023 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Also never forget about the Sponge Reef closures around Passage and also further up Howe Sound
Back